+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Great stories:

I've noticed that a lot of elderly people really notice and acknowledge little things like opening the door, asking if they need help with something, even a smile and "nice day" comment. So many people are in such a hurry they just rush about everywhere and don't even have a clue who is around them.

I also notice that taking a second to look at the cashier and saying Thank you (insertnameon badge) makes them smile. It's not the spit - out thanks as you are walking away. And little kids too. I always do the courtesy wave for cars everwhere I go and it makes me feel great when it's actually acknowledged in return. (many don't do that).

Of course I usually can't resist saying something nice to anyone who has a pet with them; little dog, bit dog, ferret, whatever. It's a great opportunity to recognize and give a compliment to a person or show a bit of interest. I love going to the pet store when there's aminals there
    A ferret?! On a leash? How cool...now I want to see a ferret on a leash. I have a good friend who raises ferrets but she never takes them outside. She works at a pet store in Indiana and sells her babies through them. Lucky her; she gets to take home any damaged bag of Ferret Chow.

Waving at kids in cars or people going by on tour buses is fun; I've only gotten one brat who stuck out his tongue after he waved at us.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I also notice that taking a second to look at the cashier and saying Thank you (insertnameon badge) makes them smile.
    The absolute biggest smile ever given to me came about when I was going through the concession line at the movies. There was a very young (looked 14) girl at the the counter, looking very shy. The people in front of me just ordered, paid, and left, but when she gave me my change, I gave her a smile and said, "Thank you, Marissa!" It was like a thousand-watt lightbulb when she smiled back at me
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    The absolute biggest smile ever given to me came about when I was going through the concession line at the movies. There was a very young (looked 14) girl at the the counter, looking very shy. The people in front of me just ordered, paid, and left, but when she gave me my change, I gave her a smile and said, "Thank you, Marissa!" It was like a thousand-watt lightbulb when she smiled back at me

Newf, you make everyone smile.

But you are so right, its so easy to say thank you and use the persons name. I try to do that as so many people think that service people are invisable. I guess that food magically appears on the table or the popcorn and drink magically appear on the counter huh?

I've always said the measure of a person is how they treat their waiter/waitress when you are out to dinner with them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When I worked in a medical office, it was always so appreciated whenever someone would say my name when they thanked me, or said hello at the window. It really does make a huge difference. So much more personal.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Well.. maybe it's where the gas station i work at is located, but sometimes there are times i REALLY wish I didnt have to wear a nametag. Cus there are some weirdo people who come in all the time that I really wish i didnt have to wear a nametag.

Also, for some reason, i really, REALLY hate bein called ma'am. I'm 24. I'm too young to be a ma'am! It really make me go,"GAH!" when men my dad's age call me that... I always think,"I could be your daughter!"

Also... on a completly different note: I kind of find it funny that the republican senate candidate for Washington State Mike McGavick is sending me emails that pretty much say, "vote for me" when I a- am not even registered to vote and b- am most definantly NOT a republican (if anything, i am a liberal independant). So yes... sometimes I want to email him and ask, "and HOW did you get my email?"
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Hmmm.... couldn't find a thread for "Possible Hypochrondriacal Issues" so I thought I'd post here in the Koffee Klatch (my first time, be gentle , and I hate coffee so I AM an outsider)....

Okay, so last night I was walking in the house with entirely too many plastic grocery bags hanging from my hand. I finally let go, and felt the usual numbness in my fingers and forearm, but it wasn't only for a moment, or an hour, I still feel like I just now let go of those bags, about 15 hours later!

Whaddya think???

post 666, hee...
    Could does not mean should

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat View Post
    Well.. maybe it's where the gas station i work at is located, but sometimes there are times i REALLY wish I didnt have to wear a nametag. Cus there are some weirdo people who come in all the time that I really wish i didnt have to wear a nametag.

Also, for some reason, i really, REALLY hate bein called ma'am. I'm 24. I'm too young to be a ma'am! It really make me go,"GAH!" when men my dad's age call me that... I always think,"I could be your daughter!"

Also... on a completly different note: I kind of find it funny that the republican senate candidate for Washington State Mike McGavick is sending me emails that pretty much say, "vote for me" when I a- am not even registered to vote and b- am most definantly NOT a republican (if anything, i am a liberal independant). So yes... sometimes I want to email him and ask, "and HOW did you get my email?"

First off, I don't mind being called Ma'am as I have always been taught it is a sign of respect. So you should be flattered and

secondly: :nono Go register to vote. As an American that works and pays taxes you have a responsibility to yourself and your country to have a say in how our government is run!!!!! And it doesn't matter how you register, you CAN change things by voting, you DO have a say. Yeah its only one vote, but combined with the rest of us that vote, it is a powerful one vote!

When my grandmother was born, women were NOT allowed to vote in this country and because of a lot of great women activists, women were finally given the RIGHT they should have had since the 1780's to make a difference in this country by voting. So if nothing else, honor your fellow women that fought for this right by voting! Get registered!

Veronicabelle: you are not an outsider. This thread is for general gabbery, even if you don't drink coffee. WELCOME GIRL!

Yeah, I've done the carry-way-too-many-bags in one hand thing too. Hurts doesn't it! Just make sure you rub your hands to get the circulation going. Even put them under some lukewarm water (not hot or cold). The compression is what makes it feel like you're still holding on to things. Sometimes those bags leave marks on my arm; where I sling them when I can't hold onto any more. Dumb-da-dumb dumb. I should just make two trips or get a buggy.

It's also a good idea to Vote. For somebody. Get involved and find out information. I always say if you don't vote, you can't complain whether it's for the Mayor, the Premier, or the Prime Minister (Canada talking).
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Veronicabelle: you are not an outsider. This thread is for general gabbery, even if you don't drink coffee. WELCOME GIRL!

Yeah, I've done the carry-way-too-many-bags in one hand thing too. Hurts doesn't it! Just make sure you rub your hands to get the circulation going. Even put them under some lukewarm water (not hot or cold). The compression is what makes it feel like you're still holding on to things. Sometimes those bags leave marks on my arm; where I sling them when I can't hold onto any more. Dumb-da-dumb dumb. I should just make two trips or get a buggy.

It's also a good idea to Vote. For somebody. Get involved and find out information. I always say if you don't vote, you can't complain whether it's for the Mayor, the Premier, or the Prime Minister (Canada talking).

WEll sometimes it can affect the nerves if the bags press on one. If its ok now, I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't carry so many again.

Thank you Miss Kitty, you are exactly right. Don't complain about the government if you don't vote. I know we have free speech here in the US, but if you want to complain, then do so by doing something about it by voting. It is SO important and it is a right, but also a privelege to be able to have a say in our government. SOOOOO many people in this world have NO say whatsoever in what their governement does and it usually they suffer for it.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Thanks MissKitty and MyRosie, I'm trying not to worry, but it's been 20 hours now and I still have numbness in my middle finger. I feel like it should definitely be circulated away by now, with a full night's rest, and with all the typing I do writing all day at work and cruising the FORT.

It's just a sign of how stubborn I am, and how it bites me in the butt every time. I did make two trips... the younger, more stubborn version of me would have tried to do it in one. I guess I should have done three trips, you think I would have learned after the time I almost snapped my arm like a twig, but no. I don't learn...
    Could does not mean should

+ Reply to Thread