+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5650Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Nowadays, every computer company has its customer service call center in India. They all speak English, so I have absolutely no problem there and actually prefer it to some of the CS people I get in the US, some of whom cannot speak any semblance of English.
    What I object to is the lack of "customer service" that is really prevalent most everywhere.
    When I had my first CS job when I was a teenager, I was told that the customer is always right. In fact, I can rememember working in retail in top dept. stores where we were required to give refunds to mothers whose children had obviously over used their garments and they were now seeking returns, claiming the merchandise was defective.
    I wish we would return to a Customer Service model where you were treated respectfully once again. Seems that the only time you get anything is if / when you yell and scream at the person on the phone. That shouldn't have to be the case.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The customer is always right
    I am a firm believer that this policy is nonsense. My day job is highly technical, and some lay-person is not going to tell me how to derive my results. If he doesn't like the results, there isn't anything that I can do except explain how those results were derived. Another day-job situation that came up once was that a woman expected me to cut my fee because I didn't show up at the appointed time--a time at which the entire county was being pelted by hail.

My second job is in retail. If customers are always right, can they insist that they get $500 change from a $5 bill on a $2 purchase? That a big-screen TV is marked $600, but they are only going to pay $100? HELL NO! I doubt that ANY establishment would do business like that.

I would rewrite the saying to "Give the customer every benefit of the doubt, but don't be a fool."
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3429081;
    My second job is in retail. If customers are always right, can they insist that they get $500 change from a $5 bill on a $2 purchase? That a big-screen TV is marked $600, but they are only going to pay $100? HELL NO! I doubt that ANY establishment would do business like that.

I would rewrite the saying to "Give the customer every benefit of the doubt, but don't be a fool."
    I totally agree that people should not necessarily take "the customer is always right" to the point where they let a customer take advantage of them (like people who try to return items after they have been used).

The kind of thing that really infuriates me is when a customer support person gets condescending or argumentative instead of taking my concern seriously. At some point in this computer ordeal I got put on with a supervisor later in the evening after I had been left on hold for 45+ minutes. I told the supervisor that I was unhappy about this and all I really wanted was an acknowledgment that this was unacceptable and they would look into it. Instead he tried to make excuses for the person, saying that I must not have really been in the line with tech support and they must have been trying to transfer my call to the right person. I think I am intelligent enough to tell the difference between being disconnected during a call transfer and being left on hold when a person says "Can I put you on hold for just a minute" - Argh! I need to do some yoga and/or meditation before I jump back into this tonight...

I completely agree on the whole 'the customer is always right' issue. I worked retail for 4 years and you would not believe some of the crap some customers pull! Once when I worked at Target we had to keep an eye out for a couple who would come into the store and rip buttons off of shirts and then take them to customer service and offer to pay half price cause they were damaged.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Zac's back home from the hospital so he should be home for his birthday Sunday!

Good News there Unklescott! - Give the boy a birthday hug for me and a MEOW from Joey!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3429114;
    I totally agree that people should not necessarily take "the customer is always right" to the point where they let a customer take advantage of them (like people who try to return items after they have been used).

The kind of thing that really infuriates me is when a customer support person gets condescending or argumentative instead of taking my concern seriously. At some point in this computer ordeal I got put on with a supervisor later in the evening after I had been left on hold for 45+ minutes. I told the supervisor that I was unhappy about this and all I really wanted was an acknowledgment that this was unacceptable and they would look into it. Instead he tried to make excuses for the person, saying that I must not have really been in the line with tech support and they must have been trying to transfer my call to the right person. I think I am intelligent enough to tell the difference between being disconnected during a call transfer and being left on hold when a person says "Can I put you on hold for just a minute" - Argh! I need to do some yoga and/or meditation before I jump back into this tonight...
    I think I mentioned a while back about an experience I had with a woman who worked behind the return desk at Walmart. I had bought two air mattresses because we were going to a cabin that didn't have enough bed space. I bought the mattresses a month or so before we left and of course, lost the receipt. One of the mattresses leaked so badly that we had to pump it up a couple of times during the night. When we got home I returned it to Walmart and the most offensive woman I may have ever met happened to be on duty. She just immediately launched in to this tirade about how you just couldn't bring stuff back two or three YEARS after you bought it and expect a refund. It had been a couple of MONTHS and I wasn't asking for a refund but a replacement. She and I almost came to blows. I told her to call the manager and HE acted like I was trying to steal something. I was furious by the time I left with my new air mattress under my arm.

Now about that computer help let me say that Apple has the best assistance I have ever had anywhere. I can call the Apple store right here in town and actually speak to a technician. One who speaks English! And if they can't talk me through the problem I can take the computer in and they will help me, or fix it for me.

Sorry, Muduh, I'm sure you were frustrated but I'd try to look at it from their point of view. You return a used air mattress without a receipt so they had no idea how long you'd had it. It was damaged. You can't just expect them to eat it without a hassle, otherwise they'd lose money all the time. I'm actually amazed that you got a replacement.

I've never, ever had a problem returning anything to Walmart. If it's damaged and I don't have my receipt, I wouldn't even try returning it. I have returned new things without a receipt before though. Usually Walmart is my go-to place for gift exchange because so many people don't give gift receipts. So I go to the desk, say it was a gift but I don't have a receipt, I get a gift card and let the kids get what fits or what they want.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3429242;
    Zac's back home from the hospital so he should be home for his birthday Sunday!
    Great news Unk I hope Zac has a Happy Birthday.

That's great news Unk! Wish Zac a very happy birthday from his fort fans!

+ Reply to Thread