+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7207Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I used to have an AC unit in a window in my upstairs, but it was too hot for it, I ended up getting a "swamp cooler", an evaporative device that you pour water in and it runs like a regular fan with windows open. It works well in my climate, might not work well in high humidity, and it is very inexpensive to use. The downside is that it is large and that you have to pour water into it throughout the day. There are built-in units available. I got the idea to have one from a friend whose whole house in Northern California was cooled with this type of system built in. It was an old farmhouse - in 100 degree weather even the upstairs felt good. Having the windows open is nice, too. Although it might not work security wise for those that need to lock up all windows most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3419921;
    I don't know how you folks tolerate living without a/c; the only way I would put up with that was if the power was out. I've been accused of having "Princess and the Pea" syndrome; inherited that from my mother, so that's just the way it is. I live in a crappy valley where the heat and humidity descend on you and is trapped in that valley. Plus I'm super-sensitive to heat, and always have been so, "this salmon ain't one to swim upstream"!!!
    Oh, not a chance. It doesn't even cool down at night here and the pavement bakes during the day with the heat and humidity.

And then there are the subway platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3420228;
    South Carolina. Newer houses here are the flimsiest things I've ever seen and building inspections are a joke on new construction.

Doesn't California have building codes making structures more earthquake resistant? I know in Florida that they require a certain code for hurricanes and that it does mean that the construction of buildings, including apartment buildings are better and better insulated as a result of the better building practices.
    We have good building codes here, but there was such a building boom, there weren't enough inspectors for all the new construction.
    I can't live without my A/C either.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3420228;
    Doesn't California have building codes making structures more earthquake resistant? I know in Florida that they require a certain code for hurricanes and that it does mean that the construction of buildings, including apartment buildings are better and better insulated as a result of the better building practices.
    I believe it is only the weight bearing parts of the building that would be built to keep the structure in tact during an earthquake. I don't think the quality of the sheetrock used to surface the walls or the insulation would make much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3420214;
    Until I was about 30, the heat never really bothered me too much. After that forget it, I need A/C through out. Of course since I moved to this apt in 1997 and the first heat wave about 2 weeks after I moved in, came home to Mona & Joey laying on the floor panting, (cats panting is not pretty nor normal)went out next day and bought a unit large enough to fit the wall sleeve and cool off the entire apt to at least 70 on a 95 degree day. But I usually run it about 75 degrees.
    At 70 degrees here you would find me swimming in the lake. I usually keep my a/c set for 62 to 65.

Like Gabriel, the heat never bothered me when I was younger.

I never spent a summer in NYC, as we had a summer cottage in NJ. When we moved upstate, we sold the place in NJ and built a place in the Adirondacks. It really wasn't until I got married and spent a summer in my first home that I noticed how hot is was in the upstairs bedrooms. We bought an a/c for the window and that provided relief. When we moved into our present home, that a/c came with us. It wasn't until the original furnace died one winter that we went for a new furnace and, for just a little bit more, we opted to get central air. Now I wouldn't live without it.

Samething with our cars. I think my first three or four cars did not have a/c. Now I would never buy a car that did not have a/c.

It's not like we need it on all the time either. But for those couple of times where it is so hot and humid, I have to have it. We set it around 70-72. A lot of times, though, we will turn it off at night and just open the windows for fresh air as it is usually cooler outside than in.

Zac's latest bone marrow test shows the return of the leukemia cells. He'll be going back to the hospital this weekend to start his next round of chemo. On a positive note, one of the bone marrow donors has been approved, been contacted and agreed to donate to Zac. So to the 31 year old female wherever you are, God bless you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

MRD

Unk sorry to hear he has had the cells return and has to go back in the hospital. But good news on the donor. She is an angel. Continued thoughts and prayers go not only to you and Zac and your family, but to the donor as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm so sorry Unk. I will keep Zac in my prayers.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by shyra;3421167;
    At 70 degrees here you would find me swimming in the lake. I usually keep my a/c set for 62 to 65.
    Oh my goodness. I can't even imagine that. My sister-in-law RAISED her thermostat to 69 just for us when we went to visit them in NY during Christmas, and I was freezing the whole time!! My feet never thawed out. We have the summer thermostat set to 78... going down to 76 at night. And I won't let the kids swim unless the water is at least 80. I guess it's the different climates, eh? Since I'm used to hot, hot, hot I need warm to be comfortable.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread