+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

After Hurricane Charley hit in Florida, I had a friend that was seafood manager at a Publix supermarket. Because they had lost power, they were required to throw out everything in all the refrigerated and freezer cases. In the case of the freezer cases, most of that food was actually still frozen, but company policy said it could not be sold and had to be thrown out. Because of the liability involved, they had to hire a security guard to guard the dumpster where the food was disposed of until the county could get a truck out there to empty it. If anyone had taken the food out of the dumpster and ate it and then got sick, they could be sued.
    He said he wanted to cry when he saw the amount of food that was wasted. They couldn't even give it to the food banks or the Red Cross that was distributing food because if even one person got sick, the store and company would be liable.

It's really a shame that perfectly good food is wasted on a daily basis like that. But because of the health hazards as we've recently seen with the tainted peanuts, I guess, in some fashion, I understand it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a cotton pickin shame that this country is so sue happy.

Zac's latest bone marrow test continues to show no leukemia cells.
    Do any of you ever watch Mystery Diagnosis : Discovery Health? My son just called to tell me that one of Zac's doctors was just on the show. He's the one that figured out the illness this little girl had. Pretty cool. Dr Yeager is one of the most sincere caring doctors there. Zac thinks he's too cool as he really spends time talking with him when he comes around.

Was this the meningitis episode?

I don't know, I haven't watched it yet. I'll watch it tomorrow over at his house.

I love that show Unk. I watch it all the time That's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3412754;
    Ever the wet blanket here, I strictly forbade my kids to do any of those food tricks on April 1. I hate the idea of wasting good food. A local church had a kids' event here recently all about raw eggs - playing catch, whatever. All I could think about were the people right here in our community who would have loved those dozens and dozens of eggs to eat!
    In our house, it was always pretty easy to swap them right back... no wasting necessary! We'd just dump the sugar from the salt shaker back into the sugar canister, and then put the salt from the sugar bowl into the salt shaker. No sense in throwing it out!

And to vent for a minute, there were problems with my withholding last year, and so I owe several hundred dollars to the state/city. My federal refund is closer to $1k, so it more than offsets the payment, but the state's form for under-withholding is, to put it nicely, a pain in the neck. I had to sit down with all of my pay stubs from last year and manually add up my payments over four different, decidedly not equal periods of time. &^%$! The good news is that I think everything's been fixed, so it won't be a problem this year, but I definitely don't want to see another tax form for a good long time.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 04-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.

And my state taxes are finally finished. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what I think the state of New York can do with their forms. And their worksheets.

No. I lied. One more freaking form. I don't see why we can't just attach our w-2's, but noooooo. Another form. UGH UGH UGH.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 04-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3412754;
    Ever the wet blanket here, I strictly forbade my kids to do any of those food tricks on April 1. I hate the idea of wasting good food. A local church had a kids' event here recently all about raw eggs - playing catch, whatever. All I could think about were the people right here in our community who would have loved those dozens and dozens of eggs to eat!
    I remember when I was in high school and lunch was .35 a day. One day I bought my lunch and when I salted my food someone had left the shaker top unscrewed and I emptied it in my plate. I was angry, hungry and embarrassed. I always drilled into my kids that you never, ever bother anyone else's food. It still makes me furious when I see someone do such things.

Back when we owned our restaurant that was one of the instructions I gave when training the wait staff. Always check the tops of the shakers to make sure they are screwed on tight.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread