+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5807Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD - I think it's great that you and your husband were able to rescue your neighbor like that. I'm sure it's not the way that you intended to meet your neighbors, but it sounds like everything worked out well. I'm sure she will be appreciative of you bringing food to her while she heals too!

I just have to add that I fell in our living room about two months ago. I was NOT seriously injured like your neighbor, but the initial fall really hurt. I lay on the floor crying and yelling (mostly yelling) for probably ten minutes. Mr. Doxie was UPSTAIRS and took his own sweet time rushing to my rescue. I hate to think what would have happened if he'd had to jump a creek.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Wow, MRD, You are the ultimate neighbor. Can we all come down and move in by you? It's sad that her closer neighbors didn't hear her, but maybe the wind was blowing just right!

That's awesome, MRD. It always amazes me how God works everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3411642;
    . . . Mr. Doxie was UPSTAIRS and took his own sweet time rushing to my rescue. I hate to think what would have happened if he'd had to jump a creek.
    Another five minutes, and Mr. MRD would've been there!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3411728;
    Wow, MRD, You are the ultimate neighbor. Can we all come down and move in by you? It's sad that her closer neighbors didn't hear her, but maybe the wind was blowing just right!

I hate to think that they did hear her and were just ignoring it. Many years ago we were moving and I was carrying boxes out to the truck. I twisted my ankle and fell going out of the house. I thought at the time that I'd broken my ankle and was laying in my yard (in the mud) yelling for help. I had neighbors on both sides of me that were home at the time and nobody came. I finally got myself up and hobbled into the house and called my sister. My husband was at our new place working on the new house. Turned out that I just had a very bad sprain which was still pretty bad considering we were in the process of moving and I had a 3 year old and a 5 year old to take care of. I was so glad to move out of that town.

Good for you and Mr. MRD. The world needs more heroes.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Doxie and Lil Bit, your stories reminded me of when I fell down the basement stairs with no one to "rescue" me. One of our dogs had been attacked by a neighbor's dog that day, and I was worried so went down to check on him during the night. I slipped and fell (just at the last few stairs near the bottom) and sprained my ankle. Even with all my crying and yelling and our two dogs barking, by husband never heard a thing. Neither dog offered any Lassie-like assistance, so I finally crawled up the stairs and back to the bedroom by myself (I was 8 months pregnant at the time, and scared, so this was not so easy). When I finally woke him up my husband said something like "Honey, why didn't you call me?"

MRD, how great that you two were able to hear your neighbor and help her in so many ways.
    remember to play

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's an email that I got just last week, and I thought it was a pretty smart idea:

PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

I never would have thought of this. PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT. Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s Office, the check out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that! And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there.

This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or prevent a sexual assault. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him (or vice versa). He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. It would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

prhoshay What an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3411908;
    prhoshay What an excellent idea.
    If you have those fancy keys; I don't. But I have often thought about going back and getting them, as they are really handy.
    I do at least have my telephone right next to the bed...as well as my "Single Woman's Protector".
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Ok - what's the Single Woman's Protector?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread