+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7196Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Maybe try some baby oil or vaseline??? It might help remove what's on it and will help moisterize his skin too.

----------
    ON ANOTHER NOTE:

We are VERY EXCITED. We signed up to be friendship sponsors to foreign students at Furman University. Basically we just meet the 2 students we are paired with and we have them over for dinner a couple times a month, take them with us when we go to stuff (like apple picking or the fall festival), invite them to church events, basically just make friends with them and hang out with them occasionally. These are students that are a long way from home and family and want to have families here to do things with and get more of the "American" experience than they get in the Dorms. Many stay here for the holidays, so they want to experience American Thanksgiving and Christmas, they say they even don't mind helping out doing chores and stuff. Anyway, its going to be fun I think. We get to meet college age kids from other cultures and help them and learn from them too.

The seminar I went too, one woman said that the student they were paired with for 4 years, when she went home and got married, her family sent airline tickets and paid hotel accomdations so they could come to her wedding.
    Not that we are doing it for a free trip, but it was nice to hear that you can make connections that run deep.

The seminar spokesman said that there are 500,000 foreign students in the US and that many of these people go back to their countries and become leaders in business and government and he recited several heads of state and big business that studied in the US.

I just think its exciting to meet someone from another culture and share our culture and make friends with them and help be a surrogate family.
    They will still live in the dorm and go to school, but they will became a part of our family and we will get to do stuff with them and show them our country and our customs that they may not get living exclusively in the dorms.

They are calling back this afternoon to tell us when and where we get to meet our students and what countries they are from.

I'll let you know. I think this is going to be a wonderful experience.
    My husband is from a very small town that has many high school exchange students. Just a couple of weeks ago there was an article in the paper about a family that had sponsored six different girls over the years, from six different countries. Over the years, the girls have all become freinds too, and have often visited their host family. Recently, one of the girls married and all the other girls, plus the host parents, were invited to the wedding. There were pictures of them all together, along with some of their parents. I remember reading about this family for several years and thinking what a great experience that would be for all concerned. In this program though, the teen actually lived in the house and was just like one of their children for the time they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Memphis suffered a tremendous blow today and I am in mourning. The most magnificent (in my opinion) building in downtown, burned. First United Methodist Church,built in 1893, is just a shell. I feel like I've been sucker punched in the stomach. That building was made of some kind of large grey stone, maybe limestome, maybe sandstone, I haven't a clue, but it was gorgeous. I have stood in that sanctuary and looked at the huge stained glass windows, which depicted stories from the Bible, many times and just marveled at the workmanship. There was a kneeling rail with needlepoint cushions on it. They were made by the ladies of the church and seemed to be quite old, and most beautiful. They had scenes of momenteous occasions of the church on them.The first one, on the left, was a scene of the log church which was their first meeting place.
    Muduh: I'm so sorry to hear that. Did it happen early in the morning, and that's why they couldn't catch it in time to put the fire out? In the South Side of Chicago this summer, they also lost an old, valued church. I love the old style of architecture.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

The fire started in the basement of the church between 2 and 3 am. No cause has been decided, but I have wondered if maybe they had something cooking, maybe in a crockpot, or whatever. They served meals for the homeless every day and the crockpot thing just came to my mind.
    It was quite windy here last night, and this morning, and embers from the church spread and three other buildings about two blocks away also burned.
    It was a treasure, that's for sure. I'm sure that the Chicago church was also. I have never figured out how people feel that the modern architecture is more appealing than those old buildings which seem to have a
    personality, for want of a better word. I plan to go down and take pictures on Sunday morning and I will ask someone here to post some, since I still don't know how.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    My husband is from a very small town that has many high school exchange students. Just a couple of weeks ago there was an article in the paper about a family that had sponsored six different girls over the years, from six different countries. Over the years, the girls have all become freinds too, and have often visited their host family. Recently, one of the girls married and all the other girls, plus the host parents, were invited to the wedding. There were pictures of them all together, along with some of their parents. I remember reading about this family for several years and thinking what a great experience that would be for all concerned. In this program though, the teen actually lived in the house and was just like one of their children for the time they were there.
    We sponsored a foreign exchange student for a year that lived with us. It was not an experience I wish to repeat. We had numerous problems. I know others that have had GREAT experiences, but we were treated as a free hotel, shower and eating place. We repeatedly had problems with boys, drinking, drugs and a pierced tongue that she had done and didn't tell us or her parents. I was actually glad to see the back of her when she left.

I know it can be a very rewarding experience, but ours was unfortunately one of the bad ones.

I like this program as they live elsewhere and we get together with them several times a month. And this is a grad student, not a high school student, so I am hoping that the level of maturity is a lot higher this time around.

I don't want to discourage anyone from hosting a foreign exchange student as most are usually good experiences, but the agencies rep in our area was awful and that was part of the problem too as we had no support like we were supposed to have.

Oh Muduh, that is awful. I too have a soft spot for traditional and old churches. I just do not feel like I am in church in the modern ones.
    So much treasure and memories lost. Did they lose the windows too? So tragic. I hope no one was injured.

Our new church is also quite old. Over 100 years. Brick and has a gorgeous stained glass skylight. I find myself staring up at it during services.
    I think that the opening was once a steeple and they lost the steeple and put in the skylight in the opening where the steeple was as the stained glass is different and newer looking than the windows.

Will this church be able to rebuild? I know that it won't be the same, as they lost so much, but I hope they are able to rebuild in the same spot and salvage what they can.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-06-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    We are painting this weekend. We bought a deep, luscious red for the living room with cream trim and we bought a forest green for the entryway and our bedroom. We have white wicker furniture in our bedroom, so this out to look great. Our bedding is plaids and florals in yellow, green, red and blue.
    My daughter is doing her room Deep plum and bright orangy yellow. We actually saw a room like this and it looked great and she loved it. So two walls in each color, trim in cream.
    The kitchen I'm doing a faux finish in beige/taupe tones as all my kitchen furniture is dark green and my plates and accoutrements are ivy. I am eventually going to stencil ivy on as a border. I did this once in a house a few years ago and loved it and have missed that kitchen ever since, so am going to re-create it here. Just have to strip the butt ugly wallpaper border off in the kitchen first.
    I have always wanted to go with bold paint colors and this is the first time I've been able to talk my hubby into it. I'm really excited about the living/dining room being deep red. Our den/family room is paneled, so no paint in there. And we aren't doing the bathrooms yet as one is wallpapered in hideous stripes and will have to be taken off and our bathroom is kind of peach faux painted with another hideous border. I'll tackle the bathrooms later. Want to get the living areas and bedrooms done first. I know we won't get it all done this weekend, but it will at least be started. I figure we'll probably have to do our bedroom next weekend. fortunately my daughter can paint, so she can do her own room and I'm doing the kitchen, so hubby gets the living room and foyer.

I finally got my craft room unpacked and today unpacked and put up my tons of pink flamingos and it looks so cute! I have a string of pink flamingo lights and shelves with all my tons (this started about 20 years ago and now EVERYONE gives me pink flamingo stuff. I have more things with flamingos than you can shake a stick at) of stuff on them. I took my great-grandmothers antique rocking chair that is so fragile you can't sit in it and put it in the corner with all the stuffed flamingos. We took off the closet doors and put up these bamboo blinds that a friend airbrushed for me 20 years ago with a flamingo scene on them over the closet. It's so cute, I wish I could go in there and start crafting, but have to paint first. I'll be in there soon enough as we need curtains, pillows and I'm using 2 trunks that belonged to my mom as window seats in the living room and they fit perfectly under each window. I'm going to get foam for the tops and make a cover for the whole thing and then they will be padded and covred as the trunks are not real pretty. They are not cool old steamer trunks. More like foot lockers. And I have either got to sew or buy valances for the kitchen and den as what is there now is awful. Our bedroom is also going to need new valances. The taste of the people that lived here before us is very questionable.
    Wow, I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I can't wait until its all done and our house is OUR house with OUR decor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That is really sad about the old churches. I really respect the history that many buildings contain and that it is all lost when they are gone. We too have had several buildings which were delcared historic burn down. Two were definitely arson and one was just really bad wiring. They saved some bricks from one of the original buildings and built it into the newer one. They also maintained the old "look" and a new fancy design wouldn't have been approved on the street. It would have been tres out of place.

myrosiedog: Holly Dinah! That's great news you got some paint and have a painting extravaganzy going on in your house. But wow. That's quite a large order at once! Great the hubby and daughter are doing some as well. Take before and after photos! And post them later! We wanna see how pretty it is. Well, I do anyway.

I'm glad you have your craft room ready as well. Do your new neighbors and friends know about your, um, flamingo addiction?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I am never going to catch up in this thread...however I saw myrosiedog's post about getting their student and it brings back some great memories for me.

When I was nine or ten, and I was the youngest in the family with no sisters to keep me company, I started lobbying for my parents to have a child. They didn't want another one... but they did the next best thing and opened our house to an exchange student from Finland. I got the "sister" that I had always dreamed of...she was about 17 or 18...and shared a room with me and she also had never had a sister. I look back on the year she was with us with fond memories.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

You're painting? Myrosiedog, please be careful. Stay as safe as possible under the circumstances.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Rosie Happy Decorating! I feel your pain about the "hideous borders". We had them everywhere (including the laundry room) when we moved here. Your pink flamingo/craft room sounds adorable. I have collected penguins since I was a child and I have most of the penguin herd on shelves in my little study. We also have a small "guest" bathroom that is decorated with penguins. I found a non-hideous penguin border and painted the room to match and have penguin shower curtain hooks, towels, soap dishes etc....

I think it's great that you and your family are participating in the exchange student program. It will probably be easier this time around because she's not actually living with you. Have fun!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Be safe painting and get rest!
    How is your leg, btw?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread