+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7277Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3410719;
    White vinegar works fine, Mudah--just run another pot of plain water through when you finish. (Actually, I usually do the water twice, just to be sure)

Before you do that, try swirling crushed ice around and around--you will be surprised at how much gunk comes out.
    Ice, salt and lemon juice. Old restaurant trick. The salt acts as an abrasive and we all know how lemon juice is a good cleaning solvent.

Thanks, Unk. I forgot to put the salt when I made that post! When I learned that trick, we didn't serve anything with lemon, so--no lemon to add, but it makes sense. I'll put in some lemon juice next time! I always clean the pot that way, then run the vinegar through to clean the innards of the machine.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

You mean inside the coffee maker? I'm not talking about the glass pot but the machine. The vinegar and salt I can understand but the swirling crushed ice has me stumped.

My suggestion is for coffee pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3410715;
    Hey you all, changing the subject, but how do you clean your coffee pots? Mine is white and when I go to pour the water in it is looks gunky inside. I ran some soda through it and that helped, but I need something a little stronger. I'm sure that vinegar would work but I'm afraid the coffee would taste if I did that. Any ideas?
    I usually fill the coffee maker to the highest cup amount with white vinegar, turn it on and about 1/2 way through turn it off until the pot cools off, then turn it on to do the rest of the vinegar. If it was really bad I would run it through again. Once done however after I pour the vinegar down the drain I usually run 2 or 3 pots of water to flush it out.

Straight vinegar? Like twelve cups of vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3410791;
    Straight vinegar? Like twelve cups of vinegar?

Yup, it works well. Just run plain water through a couple of times and it will be fine.

Note to self--prepare cup of vinegar coffee on April Fools Day
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Yup, running white vinegar through the coffee maker and carafe -- followed by 3 cycles of plain (purified/filtered, if possible) water -- works great. In fact, it was in the instructions in my owners' manual. Imagine that!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3410792;
    Yup, it works well. Just run plain water through a couple of times and it will be fine.
    I was just wondering how much twelve cups of vinegar would cost. We don't drink coffee very often And when my old coffeemaker gave up the ghost I bought this one without checking inside to see how complicated it looked. It has little nooks and crannies that I can't get to, even with Q Tips. I may put the vinegar in and let it set for a while before running it through. Either that or chunk the whole mess. I looked at a black pot the other day that I like. That might be the answer to my problem, don't you think?

+ Reply to Thread