+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3393423;
    I hate magazines.
    i love magazines. I dropped them all for a while but subscriptions are so cheap now that I'm getting more and different magazines. I dropped the newspaper, after fifty years, so we are enjoying the magazines. Door County is a favorite along with Victoria, Southern Living, Reader's Digest (have you all noticed how skinny that mag has gotten? It's about 1/3 what it used to be.) and I recently found one that I love. It's Blue Ridge Country and is about all the towns close to the Parkway. We get ideas about places we'd like to visit from reading those magazines. Then when the new magazines arrive, I can pack up last months and drop them off at the nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3392917;
    My husband will NOT go to the doctor, will ignore most illness, but when he does get sick, he is the most pitiful thing you ever heard. It's actually kind of annoying. I said for sickness and in health and I'll do both, but please don't whine. I don't do whining. And I don't recall that in the wedding vows either. So I kind of get both from him. Ignore the illness until it's so bad that he is the most pitiful thing you ever saw.
    My husband gets a cold and you would SWEAR that he is dying. But a couple of years ago he was having extreme abdominal pain and it took me forever to talk him into going to the ER. It turned out that he had a bowel obstruction and had to be flown to a larger hospital in an air ambulance. And men say they don't understand us.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate magazines because they make for more clutter than I am interested in dealing with and, I swear, they are gross biohazards! All kinds of nasty people hands touching, and touching, and touching. How many of us, when buying a magazine, go to the back of the stack to get one that hasn't been handled? And they slide! I hate magazines as about as much as I hate the post office...which is A LOT!!

Yes, I prefer books that I can buy and limit to, usually, my own germs and overhandling! Magazines are just in the way. I don't have enough ADD to be that interested in them. I want a story that I can really get into and think about. I even wipe down any books I may get from the library. Those can be pretty nasty, sometimes.

And I am not a germaphobe, like the little nasty kids at the community center like to accuse me of being!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Muduh, have you heard of Garden and Gun? It's sort of like Southern LIving but better. Not as great recipes as SL, but I love the stories. It's all about the South if you can't guess from the title.

And Readers Digest has become more of a Readers appetizer. Heck, I remember as a kid, we made Christmas Trees out of them by folding the pages and then spray painting them green. I bet now you couldn't get a 1/4 of a Christmas tree out of that pitiful sized thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3394016;
    Muduh, have you heard of Garden and Gun? It's sort of like Southern LIving but better. Not as great recipes as SL, but I love the stories. It's all about the South if you can't guess from the title.

And Readers Digest has become more of a Readers appetizer. Heck, I remember as a kid, we made Christmas Trees out of them by folding the pages and then spray painting them green. I bet now you couldn't get a 1/4 of a Christmas tree out of that pitiful sized thing.
    A long time ago the Readers Digest slogan or motto was a story a day for a month.

Could you give me some information about Reader's Digest?

The slogan used to be "An article a day of lasting significance." Somewhere or other that slogan was dumped and so was the policy.
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-26-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Found reference and added link -changed wording

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3394016;

I remember folding and spray painting the Readers Digest. Mine were painted gold.

I also saw a copy of 'Garden and Gun' the last time I went to get my hair done. Sounds like something Jeff Foxworthy would have come up with. How much more redneck-y can it get? And, no, I did not pick it up and flip through it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

That's just it, it is NOT rednecky at all. It's a really cool magazine. It's like Southern LIving and a hunting magazine. It's actually pretty cool.

Southern Living + hunting magazine, all in one....not redneck-y?? Uh......Okayyyyy........

MRD

It's not. You've got to see it to believe it. It's like upscale hunting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3394590;
    Southern Living + hunting magazine, all in one....not redneck-y?? Uh......Okayyyyy........
    My thoughts exactly!
    (by myrosiedog)
    . . .It's like upscale hunting stuff. . .
    Isn't "upscale hunting stuff" -- how you say in English? -- an oxymoron?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread