+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7193Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Wow! You learn something new every day. We take our shoes off at home, too. Most of our friends take their shoes off when they come to visit, but some don't. (Although I have insisted that one of our friends HAS to take his shoes off in our home 'cause he has tracked dog poo onto our carpet more than once!!!)

I kind of had to get over my clean obsession when I found out that our maid service cleans with their shoes on (I would think that's for safety purposes for them, so I'm not going to complain) anyhow! But I know what you mean...it's one thing to wear shoes in the house. It's another to drag your shoes all over your comforter etc. Yuck! (Some people argue that bare feet are dirtier than the bottom of shoes. I don't buy it. My feet are clean! )
    It's not that barefeet are dirtier, but its the oils in our skin are not that great for the carpet and make the carpet dirtier or oiler I guess.

That said, I never wear shoes in the house and only wear slippers if my feet are cold. I just shampoo the carpet more frequently.

here's a peeve: bathrooms with blow dryers and no towels. I have gotten very obsessive (particularly in restuarants) about getting a towel to use to turn OFF the faucet after I wash my hands and to open the door with. What's the point of washing your hands if you are going to grab the dirty faucet handles or the dirty bathroom handles??
    Last edited by MRD; 10-06-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Another long-time-in-cast person here. Agreed, my leg was pretty disgusting, but I don't remember it being the color of Betadine either, Queenie. I do remember how good it felt to finally be to scratch itches, and get it clean, though.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I don't guess I'd mind taking my shoes off, but I wouldn't be wearing slippers that are for whoever shows up. I'd be wondering if they were washed between uses, the whole visit! I'm surprised to hear that women wear them, men don't. (Not suggesting you don't keep your slippers clean, Lois Lane, I'm just weird about stuff like that.
    queenb, no offense taken! (I freak out when we go bowling on occassion 'cause I don't like wearing other people's shoes.) I actually do wash the slippers after a guest wears them. They're either crocheted (highly washable) or the moccassin type (fake suede with fake fur, but pretty comfortable) so they machine wash and dry really easily and have proven to be pretty danged durable! When I'm at other people's homes who like their guests to remove their shoes, I usually just wear my socks 'cause I can just throw those in the wash when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    here's a peeve: bathrooms with blow dryers and no towels. I have gotten very obsessive (particularly in restuarants) about getting a towel to use to turn OFF the faucet after I wash my hands and to open the door with. What's the point of washing your hands if you are going to grab the dirty faucet handles or the dirty bathroom handles??
    I always carry a mini packet of tissues in my purse. They also come in handy when you're in a stall that has no toilet paper! Oh, I hate that!!!

I never make my guests take their shoes off unless there's been a snowfall. My thought on this is, I'm going to be cleaning the floors whether people are wearing shoes or not, so why not let them be comfortable.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

He had temporary pins put in the leg, so I'm sure they used some form of antimicrobial solution on him. The nurse at the Ortho said it looked like Betadine. When the Dr. removed the cast, he said it was just dead skin and to soak it. That's when I discovered this stuff is like an entity. It's still stuck in some places in my stock pot - it dries white, so I scrub it, let it dry to see what I missed and then scrub it some more. I think I'll take the 5 gal bucket/Dawn/soak it for an hour advice. I hate to let it slough off on it's own because it's leaving little "dandruff" piles on my couch. Maybe I should just take him outside and use a pot scrubber on his dry leg (Sorry, son - just being cheeky).
    Thanks everyone!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I never make my guests take their shoes off unless there's been a snowfall. My thought on this is, I'm going to be cleaning the floors whether people are wearing shoes or not, so why not let them be comfortable.
    Like I said, I let them do whatever they like (except our one friend who always drags dog poo into our house), and when I'm a guest at someone else's house, I do what they do (if they have shoes on, I leave mine on; if they have shoes off, I take mine off). Some folks (especially older folks) need the orthopedic support of their shoes to feel comfortable. But I do think some people are more comfortable with their shoes off (me, for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    That's interesting because I thought removing shoes was a Canadian thing. Or maybe it's because I'm Italian-Canadian. But we always, ALWAYS remove our shoes when visiting and no one has ever worn their shoes in my house. I have light-coloured carpets and I'd throttle anyone who walked on them in their shoes. If I had hardwood I'd probably be more forgiving, but it's never been an issue. Even when I've had servicemen come in to install cable, check the water meter, etc., they automatically take their shoes off.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Cricketeen, it probably is just dead skin sloughing off and will take some time to come off. It's possible some of it is Betadine stained; I really hope the solution wasn't left on. As Marleybone stated, it's very irritating to the skin. Don't try to vigorously remove the "scales," as you will irritate the skin further. You can soak it in the tub daily, gently wash the area with a mild soap, and then apply a moisturizing lotion. The stuff should eventually come off, much like sunburn peeling. Too much soaking and scrubbing will not make it come off any sooner, only further irritate it. Time will be your friend, here.

Who you callin' old?
    Just kidding - In the last couple of years, I found I appreciate a little soft support for my feet if I am cooking or cleaning for any length of time, so I have what I call my indoor shoes (to go with my indoor voice). They are soft, cushy and yet give just the support I like. But they never go outside. Not even to take out the trash or get the mail.
    As a general rule, no-one in my family wears shoes indoors, and I shudder at the thought of having shoes that were all over town and in public restrooms on my carpet. Where the kids play and the dog barfs. But I don't ask guests to remove their shoes either. If they offer, great, but if they want to keep them on, I figure as a host I gotta grin and bear it. Like Lois, when I'm at someone else's house, I follow the lead of the homeowner. If they come to the door with shoes off, I'll remove mine too.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 10-06-2006 at 02:19 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Like I said, I let them do whatever they like (except our one friend who always drags dog poo into our house), and when I'm a guest at someone else's house, I do what they do (if they have shoes on, I leave mine on; if they have shoes off, I take mine off). Some folks (especially older folks) need the orthopedic support of their shoes to feel comfortable. But I do think some people are more comfortable with their shoes off (me, for instance).
    I have a friend with some kind of foot problem and her podiatrist told her that 1) she needs to wear good, supportive shoes ALL THE TIME
    and that 2) not to go barefoot as that is the worst thing for the feet, that she needs to wear the orthopedic brace that goes in her shoe even at home to alleviate the problem. I can't remember exactly what the problem is, but its in her heel.

STill I go barefoot all the time. And like Cricketeen said, the dog barfs on the carpet, so I guess having shoes on it wouldn't be that big a deal.
    I do use spot cleaner when the dog barfs tho. God I hate that! I hear that yak and it sends shivers down my spine and I'm yelling: outside! outside! But they never make it outside or on the linolium, its always on the carpet.

Where we live now, everything is red clay and we have beige carpet. I had a guy here installing cable and he was very considerate about removing his boots when he came in the house, otherwise my carpet would be orange!
    Last edited by MRD; 10-06-2006 at 02:21 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread