+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6170Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

[QUOTE=Lois Lane;2094986]lambikins, I was really surprised to hear that you grew up taking your shoes off. I did, too, as well as some of my close childhood friends. (Our moms kept really tidy homes.) As an adult, the only homes I find where the shoes traditionally come off are those of my Asian-American friends. I generally go with the flow. If I'm a guest in someone's home and they have their shoes on, I leave my shoes on. If the hosts have their shoes off, I take mine off. (I had a friend growing up whose mom considered it insulting if you took your shoes off in their home.) But, I always wear clean socks. Just in case!

Lois Lane: I come from Scandihoovian stock and there was not a house I ever entered that you were allowed to wear your shoes inside. We also have that policy at our apartment, unless we're having a party; we realize that 20 people are not happy walking around in their bare feet or stockings. But when I see TV shows, where the character is sitting on the sofa or WORSE yet, laying on their beds with their shoes on....I want to jump inside the screen and rip those Pradas right off their feet!

If you think the bottom of purses are dirty, the stuff we walk in....pee yuh!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Lois Lane: I come from Scandihoovian stock and there was not a house I ever entered that you were allowed to wear your shoes inside. We also have that policy at our apartment, unless we're having a party; we realize that 20 people are not happy walking around in their bare feet or stockings. But when I see TV shows, where the character is sitting on the sofa or WORSE yet, laying on their beds with their shoes on....I want to jump inside the screen and rip those Pradas right off their feet!
    Wow! You learn something new every day. We take our shoes off at home, too. Most of our friends take their shoes off when they come to visit, but some don't. (Although I have insisted that one of our friends HAS to take his shoes off in our home 'cause he has tracked dog poo onto our carpet more than once!!!)

I kind of had to get over my clean obsession when I found out that our maid service cleans with their shoes on (I would think that's for safety purposes for them, so I'm not going to complain) anyhow! But I know what you mean...it's one thing to wear shoes in the house. It's another to drag your shoes all over your comforter etc. Yuck! (Some people argue that bare feet are dirtier than the bottom of shoes. I don't buy it. My feet are clean! )

In most Italian houses the guest will take off his shoes and the host will provide slippers. These slippers were often knitted, but now you have those little chinese type slippers which are fantastic. I have at least 5 pairs at home for the ladies. The men rarely want slippers, but I have a couple of leather ones for them too. Less people my age do it now, but back when I was young, it was very rude not to take off your shoes, especially in the winter with all the snow and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    In most Italian houses the guest will take off his shoes and the host will provide slippers. These slippers were often knitted, but now you have those little chinese type slippers which are fantastic. I have at least 5 pairs at home for the ladies.
    I actually have a basket of ladies slippers near our front entryway as well. (Like you said, the men never want to wear slippers so I stopped buying those.) I have crocheted slippers (courtesy of my mom) as well as mocassin types (fake fur lined) for the colder months etc. I had a couple friends over to dinner recently and they all left their shoes on. After they left, I noticed black heel marks all over our hardwood floors. I spent most of that night scrubbing the marks up off the floor.

Later, I was talking to one of the women about it and she laughed and said, "Oh, that was me! Those shoes mark everything up everytime I wear them." And I was thinking, if you knew they would mark up my floors, why didn't you wear a different pair of shoes? That peeved me to no end. How inconsiderate!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    In most Italian houses the guest will take off his shoes and the host will provide slippers. These slippers were often knitted, but now you have those little chinese type slippers which are fantastic. I have at least 5 pairs at home for the ladies. The men rarely want slippers, but I have a couple of leather ones for them too. Less people my age do it now, but back when I was young, it was very rude not to take off your shoes, especially in the winter with all the snow and mud.
    Well, where I live, we still have Winter and we still have mud so "Off with their shoes!"

And we still have tons of dog turds just aching to be stepped into!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I have no idea which thread to post this in, so I'm trying here first...
    Yesterday, my son finally got the cast removed from his leg .
    His skin is covered with what I at first thought was dried, dead skin, but now I assume is Betadine solution from his surgery; boy is it tough to remove! It is just like Elmers Glue when it dries on your skin (remember as a kid spreading it on your hands or wherever, waiting for it to dry and then peeling it off like a sunburn?), but thicker and when it is wet, very sticky.
    I filled up a stock pot with warm water and soaked it for awhile and then used a soft complexion brush on it, but it barely made a dent in it and when he lifted his leg out of the water, some of what was floating clung right back onto his leg. Now my stock pot has this stuff stuck to it as well. I used a Brillo on it twice!
    Is there anything that will get this stuff off, short of peeling it away millimeter by millimeter? His leg looks mummified.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Premium Member
    If it's Betadine, I'm surprised they didn't clean some of that off before they put the cast on, it can be pretty irritating to the skin. Maybe try some Dawn dish soap on it (you could try it on the pot too ). I've never heard of Betadine being stuck to someone's skin for that long so I'm just guessing. I know when birds are caught in oil slicks they use Dawn to clean them. Sticky and greasy are not the same thing, I know, but worth a try I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Is there anything that will get this stuff off, short of peeling it away millimeter by millimeter? His leg looks mummified.
    cricketeen, ask your doctor your nurse to be sure. But when I had a broken limb as a kid, my arm was in a cast forever. When it was removed, there was so much dead skin my arm looked freaky. It came off by itself pretty much through regular showers (I had to rub it a little to get the layers loosened) and being exposed to the normal elements.

I'd never heard of anyone asking guests to remove their shoes here in GA till a few years ago; it's all these 'transplants from up North", I'm telling you!
    I don't guess I'd mind taking my shoes off, but I wouldn't be wearing slippers that are for whoever shows up. I'd be wondering if they were washed between uses, the whole visit! I'm surprised to hear that women wear them, men don't. (Not suggesting you don't keep your slippers clean, Lois Lane, I'm just weird about stuff like that.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Yuck! I remember my broken arm doing that too; I don't recall them using Betadine on it at all, think it was just 6 weeks of built up dead skin
    Anyway, I'd think soaking would help toward getting it off. Maybe if you bought a five gallon bucket for that purpose and made him leave it in there with a whole bunch of the Dawn for an hour or so at the time?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread