+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    One of the best wedding gifts we got was a programmable coffeemaker. I get it all set up at night and we wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. When the hubby goes on his fishing trips etc., I set it for 4 or 5 a.m. (or whatever other hour they're leaving) and they can fill their thermos. I highly recommend the programmable kind--it's great for lazy people like me!

myrosiedog, I never get up at 5:30 unless I'm (a) sick or (b) really worried about something.
    Well I never USED to and I definetly don't WANT too. Some mornings I can read for a bit and go back to sleep for an hour or so, but now all of a sudden my internal body clock thinks 5:30 is the time to wake up. Until recently I never even knew there was a 5:30 in the morning. I just assumed the day started at 7 or 8 or 9. I mean, really, WHO KNEW????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We HAVE a programmable grinder/brewer - but I couldn't figure it out last night. I just said I would hit the button (had it all ready) when I had to get up to go to the bathroom at 4 - a regular even these days.

I'm up at 5:30 every morning - getting ready for work - which is REALLY stupid cause I work next door.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Well I never USED to and I definetly don't WANT too. Some mornings I can read for a bit and go back to sleep for an hour or so, but now all of a sudden my internal body clock thinks 5:30 is the time to wake up. Until recently I never even knew there was a 5:30 in the morning. I just assumed the day started at 7 or 8 or 9. I mean, really, WHO KNEW????

You ladies make me not miss being married!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The only ones I wake up for is Gracie and Mr. Tootles. Hmmm. And sometimes that's when the sun comes up. Or when my big boy wants a drink from the bathroom tap at say 4 am? Or a nice brushing. Hey, it's almost like having a husband! Or not.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone else heard about this? A friend sent this to me.
    Businesses Routinely Extra 'Holding Fee' To Debit Card Purchases
    By Charla Young

(LOUISVILLE) -- They may be convenient to use, but debit cards can get you in trouble if you're not careful. A new trend has many restaurants, hotels and gas stations placing holds on your accounts for well above what you're expecting. And in most instances, you don't know anything about it. WAVE 3 Troubleshooter Charla Young has information that could save you a ton in overdraft charges.

And you're not told about this trend at many gas stations. When you swipe a debit card at the pump, the bank doesn't know how much money you'll be spending until you've finished. So to make sure you have the funds to cover the purchase, some stations ask banks to automatically set aside some of your money.

That amount used to be $20.

But with gas prices going up, stations now ask banks to hold $50, and in some cases even $100, meaning that quick top off for $10 really means you're out the use of $100 until the station sends over its bulk transactions.

Online Reporter: Charla Young

www.wave3.com
    Does anyone know if this an east coast or east of the Mississippi only thing? I've used my credit card/debit card from my bank all the time and never see this "hold" on funds. We are about to drive from Texas to Maryland and will be using our card to put gas and don't want to have numerous holds on our funds since we are going to need to use the same card on the trip back. Thoughts or suggestions? Should we get traveller's checks or just take cash with us? I know that is risky but so is running out of money because 1/2 of it is put on hold while we are gone. Thanks in advance!

Sorry PGM35. I don't know the answer to your question.

On another note, I've met 4 neighbors in the last week or so and I've lived in the same place for almost 14 years! It's weird. A nice retired man from down the alley who thought my Dad lived here, another older gentleman from down the block and across the street who thought my house was really cute, and a retired professor who lives in the house with the two black kitties (one is the one that Gracie chased). And then he introduced me to the lady who lives two doors down, who I've seen and waved to but never met. It was really nice.

Except for the part where they always ask "So, do you work? What do you do?" It's still awkward for me to answer because I'm on disability but I look 'fine' to the untrained eye! I feel defensive but don't want to have to get into any details. They usually ask next if I'm married and what my husband does then. Because I'm single, they give me a strange look. They're probably thinking I'm running a drug house or something to make ends meet. They don't get how much of a struggle it's been.

I know. I need to get over it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Except for the part where they always ask "So, do you work? What do you do?" It's still awkward for me to answer because I'm on disability but I look 'fine' to the untrained eye! I feel defensive but don't want to have to get into any details. They usually ask next if I'm married and what my husband does then.
    misskitty, can you just fib a bit and say you used to do this (whatever it is you used to do) but you're retired now and enjoying each day. As for the marriage question...maybe just something vague like, "No, not yet! There's still time for that!"

Miss Kitty You could tell your neighbors that you do computer work from home.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I love that one doxie! Why the heck not use that one? Many of us put in our time here, so we could consider it our job.

MRD
    Miss Kitty,

Just tell them you are independently wealthy or this one which answers the husband question too:

I'm the mistress of a very rich man so I don't need to work and that's why I don't have a husband!

I have encountered that here and my standared answer is: I don't currently work. If they are really nosy and ask why, I tell them I am going back to school soon (which I am), but most usuually stop when I say I don't currently work. Be mysterious. Let them wonder about the mysterious lady with no job and the two beautiful kitties and the handsome older man that comes to help her cut tree branches down!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread