+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5781Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm one of those who uses her cell phone sparingly. At home. I take it in the car but leave the ringer on vibrate. Then when I get to my stop before leaving the car I look at my messages. Then when I'm visiting, I don't use the phone. If I had a friend do that to me, I don't think I'd go out to eat with them any more. I'd have been upset if I'd not seen them for a while. Maybe next time I'd just do a phone call!

Gutmutter, I'm like Famita...that would be the last time I took that friend anywhere. I just beleive that anyone ought to be able to go two hours with the phone turned off! To me, if you are that afraid something 'might happen' in that brief period of time, maybe you should just stay home with an emergncy bag packed--my God, what if "something' happened and it took you an hour to get your stuff together so you could go tend to it.
    I am serious--even with sick family members, insurance matters needing tending to, and, well, life in general going on, I won't have my phone turned on on the rare occasion I do any socializing. I've got plans for this weekend and too bad if anyone 'needs' me, I may take one quick check at some point Sunday morning, but that's it.

As for children acting up in my general vicinity, I don't wait too long before I'll ask the restaurant manager to say something--if they don't actually do it, I will go ask the parent to corral the kid, and pretty fast too. If the kid actually comes over and starts staring at me ar whatever, my "evil" look usually runs them off pretty fast. Except for the little girl in the grocery store a while back who came up and said "what happened to your eyebrows, lady--they look funny". I had to tell that one, "You are VERY rude and should be ashamed of yourself!" Yep, she went blubbering to her Mommy who I was prepared to take on as well, but that didn't have to happen. (I got outside and looked in the mirror, and yes, my makeup had gotten smeared on the one side, and looked streange, but it was none of the kid's business!)
    Anyway-- no, I don't regret never having had chilldren and would be just fine not having to deal with untrained ones.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It just occured to me what I could have done - gotten out my own cell phone and called my sister in Chicago to discuss American Idol or something. Then she could have had a taste of her own medicine. Ah well, too late.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3380337;
    It just occured to me what I could have done - gotten out my own cell phone and called my sister in Chicago to discuss American Idol or something. Then she could have had a taste of her own medicine. Ah well, too late.
    It would NOT have even fazed(sp?) her. People like that do not see it like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3380365;
    It would NOT have even fazed(sp?) her. People like that do not see it like we do.
    That is the correct spelling, and I thank you. I am getting tired of seeing fazed and phased used interchangeably and erroneously.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How about "taken back" vs. "taken aback"? That one makes me screechy nuts!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a "Whoops!"

Bristol Palin, Fiance Break Up

Bristol Palin, Fiance Break Up
    WASILLA, Alaska (March 11) — Levi Johnston and Bristol Palin, the teenage daughter of Gov. Sarah Palin, have broken off their engagement, he said Wednesday, about 2½ months after the couple had a baby.
    Johnston, 19, told The Associated Press that he and 18-year-old Bristol Palin mutually decided "a while ago" to end their relationship. He declined to elaborate as he stood outside his family's home in Wasilla, about 40 miles north of Anchorage.
    Skip over this content

He also said some details of the breakup, rumors of which had been swirling on the Internet, were inaccurate.
    Bristol Palin said in a statement issued through a spokeswoman for her mother's political action committee that she was "devastated."
    "Unfortunately, my family has seen many people say and do many things to 'cash in' on the Palin name," she said. "Sometimes that greed clouds good judgment and the truth."
    SarahPAC spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton did not immediately respond to requests for clarification.
    Skip over this content

The two teens are the parents of a boy named Tripp, who was born Dec. 27.
    Sarah Palin revealed her daughter's pregnancy just days after being named John McCain's running mate on the Republican presidential ticket.
    In an interview that aired on Fox News last month, Bristol Palin said her fiance saw the baby every day and described him as a "hands-on" dad.
    The two had said they were considering a summer wedding.
    It's unclear what led to the split. "It kind of just happened," a source close to the couple told PEOPLE. "I thought they would stick it out. But I think they can work together to raise Tripp."
    Levi Johnson's dad, Keith Johnston, recently told the magazine that his son is a devoted and "proud father."
    Associated Press writer Anne Sutton in Juneau contributed to this report.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3380497;
    How about "taken back" vs. "taken aback"? That one makes me screechy nuts!
    Well only if you had tooken my money would I go nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3380480;
    That is the correct spelling, and I thank you. I am getting tired of seeing fazed and phased used interchangeably and erroneously.
    You and me both, and I swear you'd be hard pressed to find anyone under about 30 who manages to use it correctly. That's been my experience, anyway.

Regarding cell phones, we were jsut talking about that at work yesterday, our consensus was that it is rude. It is one thing if you're expecting a certain call, and have warned ahead (for example "my grandmother is in surgery and my mum will call when she's out of it") but then you only take that call, ignoring all else.

Last year I was at restaurant in the Alps. It was a typical restaurant, neither fancy or McDonald's, just an everyday restaurant. There was another party, a couple and one of their moms and a 2/3-year old. The adults were totally engaged in their discussion and had brought some toys to entertain the child, so that they could leave her with that. I think it's a good idea to bring something to occupy a child, if it's something that they do sitting down. But they had brought a tricycle (a toy in the same class as a light saber) which she used to ride around the restaurant, nearly tripping the staff. Plus she had some other toys as well, that were scattered around the restaurant, having a major search when it was time to leave.

+ Reply to Thread