+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3376573;
    I have been asked to serve on a panel that is trying to come up with ideas to continue dialog and education between the white and African-American communities here. This is something that got a start during black history month and was so successful that we're now trying to come up with ways it can continue and broaden to encompass more people and topics. The need for education for younger generations (not just kids, but also 20 somethings) that have not been exposed to the issues before, during and after Civil Rights was brought too light during the original discussions. This group will span many generations and create some conversation on viewpoints from both white and African American point of views. The original discussions were eye opening for those of both races.
    I'm excited as it was a lot of fun and I met some very interesting people that I'd like to get to know better and I learned a great deal.
    That sounds very positive mrd!! During the election NPR ran a series of segments that featured an open dialog involving people of different races and ages. I was surprised at the misconceptions that continue to exist even today between different cultural groups in American society. Anything that helps bring people together and promote understanding is a very worthwhile effort!!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3376637;
    That sounds very positive mrd!! During the election NPR ran a series of segments that featured an open dialog involving people of different races and ages. I was surprised at the misconceptions that continue to exist even today between different cultural groups in American society. Anything that helps bring people together and promote understanding is a very worthwhile effort!!!
    That is exactly why we are doing this. It was really interesting to hear how African Americans felt about white issues and they found it interesting to hear how we felt about AA issues. And there were some VERY surprising things that got brought up. Nothing super duper major, but just things that as one race, you don't really consider about yourself or about the other race.

For example, there is a park near here that on Sat., has an African American crowd (there's swings, grills, bball courts, etc) and some of the group was saying that on Sat., there is always a police presence, but on Sun., when the park has a white crowd, there is no police presence and how even now, there is racial profiling. Well, I spoke up and said that I live in a predominantly black neighborhood (I use black and AA interchangably and can't seem to settle on one, so excuse me for my inconsistancies) and that I had missed my turn one day to my street and ended up near the community center (not the same as the above mentioned park) where there has been some drug and gang activity and I got stopped by the police who asked if I was lost and I had to show my license as they didn't believe that I lived in the neighborhood). Well it took the AA crowd aback, big time. I mean, it left them speechless. Some said they had never considered that whites could be targets of racial profiling as well. I said that I thought that the cops thought I was in the neighborhood looking to buy drugs (just FYI, we live WAY on the other side of this area in a very safe area and the neighborhood association is working to try to get the drug and gang stuff shut down). So it's stuff like that that is helping both sides to understand the unique problems of the other. And it's just been a fun dialog as well as educational. One of the things the panel wishes to do is further education to kids about Civil Rights history and work with kids to open up dialogs and friendships between the races at a younger age.
    I'm VERY excited about it. As you can probably tell by my rambling on. But I do have friends that don't understand why I would want to be on a panel like this, so I knew you all would, which is why I told you second (hubby got the news first).

And honestly I think that Obama being elected president is what has sparked this. I know many of you don't support him and his policies and that's fine, but it's becoming very clear that on a grass roots level, his election has inspired communities and races to come together. So no matter what else he's done, he's done this.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-09-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a fantastic opportunity to foster tolerance, understanding and diversity MRD. Enjoy!

Congratulations MRD. This sounds like such a worthwhile project and something that you will be really great at.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

That sounds great, mrd. Hearing another person's perspective is never a bad thing. Unless, of course, they are an idiot. (but I'm sure none of you are!)

This Thursday through Sunday, March 12 through March 15, Gap Inc stores (Gap, Old Navy & Banana Republic) are giving out 30% discount coupons for your purchases which will also provide a 5% donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. During the past two of these events they donated more than $4 million dollars.
    Print your coupons here Give & Get and pass this along to all your friends.

MRD

Good deal Unk, I willl let my daughter know. She is the Old Navy shopper in this house and I will give her the coupons (and probably the money to use with them too.)
    Last edited by burntbrat; 03-11-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the FYI Unk, too bad it's only valid in the US
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3379567;
    Thanks for the FYI Unk, too bad it's only valid in the US
    They can't be used for online shopping but can be used instore.

Offer valid March 12, 2009 at 12:01 am ET through March 15, 2009 at 11:59 pm PT at Gap, Gap Outlet, Gap Factory Store, Banana Republic, Banana Republic Factory Store, and Old Navy stores in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico) and Canada only

Thanks, Unk! Sounds like a good reason to hit Old Navy to me...I don't need much encouragement.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread