+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

When my daughter was in Head Start (she's 30 now, so it's been awhile), she was brought home by the bus. Well, my neighbor, who lived a couple of miles away, was often not home when the bus came and the first time it happened I told the driver that he could leave Travis at my house. Well, Travis' mom thought that was just wonderful and immediately began to take advantage of the situation. Now, Travis was a nice little boy and it really was no trouble for me to keep him for a few hours but it started to happen every day and I started to get mad. I talked to his mom about it and she promised to be home but that only lasted for about a week and then we were back to every day again. So I ended up telling the bus driver that he couldn't leave him with me and he had to take him back to the school. I don't know what happened exactly but I think she got in a bit of trouble because she didn't speak to me for a long time after that.

I look back at that now and can't believe how things have changed. There is no way in today's society that a school bus would be able to drop off a kid at a neighbors house without written permission. But I suppose that is a good thing.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What I hate about things like these is that it puts the child smack-dab in the middle, and they are hearing everything that people are saying about their lousy parent, even when people think that the kids aren't able to hear the conversations. Totally unfair to the child.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3372677;
    *glares at myrosiedog* 46 IS TOO SPRING! *stamps foot*
    same here!

MRD

We had a mom do that with the promise of being back in 3 hours. Well 6 hours later, my daughter needed to go to the ER and we had been trying and trying to get the mom, so we had to take the kid with us to the ER. I was back in the exam room with my daughter when the mom FINALLY showed up at the hospital to pick up her kid (who was bratty and a pain all day). That was the first and last time that kid ever came to our house.
    It was a hideous day all around. My daughter who had felt fine in the morning, developed an ear ache that accelerated until we had no choice but to go to the ER with her howling in pain. And the weird thing is, is that is the ONLY earache the kid has ever had in her life. My husband gave the mom an earful in the ER waiting room. And how we finally got her was not through the repeated messages on her cell phone, but by calling every firestation in the county and asking for the kids dad. THe kid had told us her dad was a fireman and was working, but of course, didn't know which fire station. The mom apparantly got a nasty call from her husband and showed up ASAP after that.

And all this after basically GRILLING my husband and I when she dropped the kid off about guns, medications we had in the house, other "dangers", etc., then she abandons the kid with basically strangers that she only met that morning and never answered her cell. What if is had been HER kid that needed to go to the ER,.

I swear I have other stories like that, but that is the worst one.

Duxxy, hope the kid gets picked up tonight.

As for the weather, today, it got to 78 and I wore sandals to work!!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I can't wait for it to be 78 degrees here. It got in the 40's today, but it was cloudy and damp. We may get snow tomorrow.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

It was 75° here today. I had to work all day so I couldn't get the convertible out. I'm also sick as a dog with a cold and couldn't go to the hospital to see Zac. Hopefully I can get over this soon so I can get up there.

MRD

Unk, get some Airborne. THat stuff is a miracle. It will knock the cold out. Take it 3 times a day like it says. I keep it on hand now and as soon as I feel the cold starting, I start taking it and most of the time, the cold never develops. If it does develop, I take it 3 times a day for several days and I am usually well much quicker than my family who refuses to take it, even though they see how well it works with me.

I will also take a dose if I've been around someone that is sick and so far, I dont' think I've gotten anything from those that insist on spreading the germs.

Feel better soon. I'm sure having the convertible out will go a long way to making you feel better too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3373820;
    When my daughter was in Head Start (she's 30 now, so it's been awhile), she was brought home by the bus. Well, my neighbor, who lived a couple of miles away, was often not home when the bus came and the first time it happened I told the driver that he could leave Travis at my house. Well, Travis' mom thought that was just wonderful and immediately began to take advantage of the situation. Now, Travis was a nice little boy and it really was no trouble for me to keep him for a few hours but it started to happen every day and I started to get mad. I talked to his mom about it and she promised to be home but that only lasted for about a week and then we were back to every day again. So I ended up telling the bus driver that he couldn't leave him with me and he had to take him back to the school. I don't know what happened exactly but I think she got in a bit of trouble because she didn't speak to me for a long time after that.

I look back at that now and can't believe how things have changed. There is no way in today's society that a school bus would be able to drop off a kid at a neighbors house without written permission. But I suppose that is a good thing.
    Why do you assume that the school didn't have written permission?

A few years ago my girlfriend had a birthday party for her grandson. She told everyone to pick their kids up no later than four because they had somewhere they had to go. They didn't, but wanted the kids gone by then. One kids parents weren't there so they called, and called and called and finally the people showed up at ten that night. She said the woman didn't even apologize but said they had gone shopping and out to eat. My friend said that she told the mother that she was sorry to say it, but the kid wouldn't be invited to any future parties unless a parent came and stayed with him.

*phew* I'm glad that is finally over, it was fun and all but holy cow 8/9 yr old girls squeel and screech a lot! The kid was picked up.. there was a bit of a language barrier, the family is Chinese so it took a bit of time. The kid was picked up (a half hour late) apparently mom and dad knew everything was done at 8pm (clearly stated on the invite) but kiddo thought she could wrangle a sleepover invitation if she brought all of her stuff with her. FAT CHANCE TONIGHT, GIRLY!

As far as the stupid time change goes: Intellectually I know that we only lose 1 hour on the first day of time change but that does not keep me from feeling robbed every single day from now until November. I am a night owl, I get my best sleep in the morning, this is not a good thing. (and totally unnecessary since the invention of the light bulb!)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I started changing my clocks at 8:00 this evening.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread