+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Shaybo: Here's a little history for you.
    Attachment 18221Attachment 18222Attachment 18223
    Robert Homme created and played The Friendly Giant. It ran for 28 years. I remember the tune of the little recorder that he played. The song was called Early One Morning, but no lyrics were sung.

The Friendly Giant had several friends at the Castle: Jerome the Giraffe, a speckled know-it-all with a low voice who came when The Friendly Giant whistled (Jerome usually returned the whistle as he approached the castle window); Rusty the Rooster, the harp-playing bird with a high-pitched voice who lived in a cloth sack hanging on the castle's wall; and puppet cats Angie and Fiddle.

Each show began as the castle's drawbridge lowered and The Friendly Giant welcomed viewers with the words "Once upon a time, not long ago and not far away..." The show's theme song played to the the sound of a harp and tin whistle. To see the face of The Friendly Giant, the camera started at the boot of the giant and panned up his towering body to his face while the Friendly Giant instructed all his tiny visitors to "look up...W-A-AY UP!" He had the little rocking chair, over in the corner near the fireplace for you to sit.

At the conclusion of each show, the castle's drawbridge slowly closed as night fell over the castle, and a cow jumped over a full moon.

In 1998, Bob Homme was made a Member of the Order of Canada. Robert Homme died May 2, 2000 of prostate cancer at his home in Grafton, Ontario, Canada. He was 81.
    Last edited by misskitty; 10-19-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo View Post
    I think I remember the friendly giant he had a castle and he'd open up the doors? and he had littlechairs for you to sit in? If that is the one I'm thinking of. Who played the friendly giant any way?
    I remember that show. He would play some kind of flute and he would set out the little chairs around the fire place. Used to love Captain Kangaroo also. Oh, see I should have read MissKitty's post too. He had several little chairs because one was always a "bench for two to sit on" You honestly don't think pretend children would go see a giant all alone do you?

HR Puffinstuff was fun to watch too. Very odd show but good for a laugh.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit were my favorite characters on Capt. Kangeroo. Mr. Greenjeans was a bit of an oddball.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What was the clocks name of Kaptain Kangaroo?

My favorites were Howdy Doody, Mighty Mouse, Rin Tin Tin...The Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy..and Sky King..I guess I liked a little drama...

Xuxa, anyone? She's the only one i can recall watching.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

The clock was Grandfather Clock! That was a little disturbing, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

The funny thing is, that I really grew up with Captain Kangeroo and Mike Douglas. Only have 3 tv channels back then, Capt. K. came on and then was followed by the Mike Douglas talk show. I remember sitting and watching both.
    Did you watch Art Linkletter, too? I had such a "little girl" crush on both of them.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Did you watch Art Linkletter, too? I had such a "little girl" crush on both of them.
    Art Linkletter's House Party--I loved that show expecially at the end when he would ask the children questions...Mom would laugh her head off...and I would wonder what was so funny. One little girl had a tooth missing and Art asked her if the fairy left her any money and she said "a dime"....Then Art asked her where the fairy got the money and she confidently said..."at the Dime Store"

For you young'ns back in the old days people called variety stores ie Newberry's, Woolsworth, Sprouse Reitz, etc "5 and 10" or the Dime Store....

Queen For A Day...always made me sad listening to the ladies tell their stories. They were always widows with 10 kids and no job....but usually very pretty women and they would win a washing machine OR a refridgerator....they could have used money.

Anybody got any helpful information about cleaning up a wet carpet that was the victim of very heavy rains? It's not a huge area of the carpet, so it shouldn't be a major job. Right now, I've got fans blowing on the carpet. It really stinks. I've got a steam cleaner...should I use that? Does anyone know anything about a product called DampRid?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Xuxa, anyone? She's the only one i can recall watching.
    I don't know what made me think of Xuxa, but the other day I was wondering what ever happened to her. I used to watch her English language show in college with my buds from Puerto Rico (who were familiar with her Spanish language shows) and have a good laugh. It didn't take much to entertain us after spending hours in the bio & chem labs.

+ Reply to Thread