+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6758Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am a Post It note, and #3 pencil (#2 need not apply for the job) kind of chick. I also love nice legal pad holders, the regular size, or the smaller ones.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I also LOVE yellow legal pads, but that is a holdover from my dad's office as that's about all they used.

I really hate using pencils. I probably haven't used one in years and now with math, I'm having to use one and I hate it.

Ellen, that would be so much fun. I have been to San Diego once. We took a cruise from there. We had about 24 hours in SD, but as it as mid afternoon and the zoo closed at 5, we didn't have time to go. So we went to Tijuana instead. That was fun. Great shopping!

But what we did see was really nice. And the weather was gorgeous. I've wanted to go back and really see more.

And second hand bookstores, I'm there! Did you see CBS Sunday morning about the book stalls and book sellers in Paris? I was salivating. I wish we had book venders like that here. Sadly we only have Barnes and Noble and Books-a-million. The ONE used paperback bookstore is no fun. It's all bodice ripper romances and westerns.

I really miss the old fashioned locally owned bookstores. The new ones are nice with the coffee shop and everything, but the other ones were just so much better. We used to go to a great one near where I lived in Florida. Sadly it has closed too.

Well my NEXT trip to SD will be to go on Ellen's personal tour.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-08-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3309948;
    i'm the only woman i know that isn't fond of chocolate.
    You are not alone. If I never saw chocolate again in my life, I would be fine with that. I prefer fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3310158;
    My dad's office had one of those adding machines too and I used to love playing with it. And the manual typewriters.
    We had a manual typewriter when I was kid. I used to love to hit all the keys at once so they would jam up. Of course, it never did any harm to the typewriter - I think those things were invincible!

It is likely that my kids will never know what it is like to type on a typewriter. The clickety-clack sounds and the zip as you send it back to the beginning of a line. On the other hand, they will also never know about trying to back up to the right spot and use the little white-out slips to blot out the mistakes. Now I feel really old...

Mom insisted that I take typing in high school. There were only two guys in the whole class, which worked to my advantage since I'm convinced that the teacher graded us against each other and to a lower standard. I never did develop any real speed, but I was on hcek ofa proffreeder.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I actually lettered in Typing.

The best thing about typing class in high school was the pictures that you'd make on free days. Like a frog made out of a hundred x's and o's.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3311865;
    Mom insisted that I take typing in high school. There were only two guys in the whole class, which worked to my advantage since I'm convinced that the teacher graded us against each other and to a lower standard. I never did develop any real speed, but I was on hcek ofa proffreeder.
    BEER spit WARNING please!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3311922;
    I actually lettered in Typing.

The best thing about typing class in high school was the pictures that you'd make on free days. Like a frog made out of a hundred x's and o's.
    OMG! I loved those.

I learned to type on a manual. My HS didn't have anything except manuals, I used to love to use the return lever and manually return the carriage. But because of learning on those, I still pound the computer keys and you can hear me typing 2 rooms away.
    And Closettvwatcher is right, those manuals, invincible. You could not destroy one. Nor could you pick one up.

My mom worked for a newspaper and while it was relatively small, I can remember the noise in the room where all the desks and typewriters were on a busy day.

And I went to work for my dad in HS and I can remember how di-damn-diddly happy I was when he bought those IBM selectrics with the correction key on them and you didn't have to use the correction paper which SUCKED and never worked right and you ended up with the white stuff all over you. This of course was BEFORE White out. Yes, I'm that old too.

However, I had to type insurance policies which came in triplicate with carbon paper, so if you made a mistake, you had to toss the whole thing and start all over because the 2nd and 3rd copies couldn't be corrected.

I have to say that taking typing in HS and working where I had to type for close to 15 years has made me thankful today as I'm a damn good typist. Most of the time. And a fast one, so I can get stuff done a lot faster than most. When I (rarely) online chat, everyone says I type too fast for them to read and catch up.

Newf: don't quit your day job for proofreading.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oh, but I bet he looked so cute sitting around in his green speedo! That's probably how he got his good grade in typing!

I remember taking typing, and my teacher was amazed that I could do it without looking at the keys. She asked me why I could do it so fast and I said "I play piano". I've discovered that when I'm typing or data key entrying, that I "hear" what I'm typing. So I know where my mistakes are.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I loved the classical music that I learned to type to; you had to keep in time with the music while you learned the homerow. I even went to summer school to take typing. Seemed like fun, at the time.

My mother bought me what I thought (and still do, 'til this day) was the stupidest present I've ever been stuck with. She actually bought me an electric typewriter that had a manual return lever. WTH?? (And, Mother, your point was...???) Now, I ask you....what kind of sense does that make? I don't think I ever remembered to tell her how stupid I thought that thing was.

I think piano lessons kept my touch light on the typewriter and computer keyboards. (Notice I didn't say 'playing' the piano).
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread