+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7280Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've had the same addiction since I was a kid. So does my Mother.

MRD

Ah, so I'm not alone in this!

I think my stems from going to my dad's office as a kid and being allowed to play with the office supplies. There is something about being allowed to use a tape dispenser and a stapler as a kid that is just AWESOME!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When I was a kid, the thing I loved in the secretary's room of my dad's doctor's office was the adding machine... I'm talking a time before calculators. This dinosaur had numbered buttons you pushed and then a crank handle you pulled down and the numbers added up on a paper tape that scrolled out. Too much fun. We also got to play with real plunger shots (minus the needles of course). When I was in my early teens I remember him showing me sperm through his microscope - back when doctors did a lot of their own lab work right in their offices. I don't think I'll find any of that at Staples.
    Count your blessings!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i'm the only woman i know that isn't fond of chocolate. i'll eat chocolate if it's with something else, like PEANUT BUTTER! but just plain old chocolate? nah, i'll pass.

I'm a sucker for the paperclips and binder clips in all the pretty colors -- and now patterns! -- at Staples. I go there photocopy my lesson packets and buy a couple of reams of printer paper, and walk out of there with a bucket o' clips (from the mix-and-match bin). It's kind of scary -- some of the girls I tutor started collecting the colored paper clips I use to hold their homework papers together. One of them, who's been with me for three years, made a paperclip chain that's strung across her room. It's kind of pretty; I feel like I'm enabling a habit . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3309948;
    i'm the only woman i know that isn't fond of chocolate. i'll eat chocolate if it's with something else, like PEANUT BUTTER! but just plain old chocolate? nah, i'll pass.
    I want to stand next to you in a place where chocolate is readily available, so that I can get your rejects!!
    I can be your line-buddy!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3310090;
    I want to stand next to you in a place where chocolate is readily available, so that I can get your rejects!!
    I can be your line-buddy!!!
    heeheehee, you got it

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3309936;
    When I was a kid, the thing I loved in the secretary's room of my dad's doctor's office was the adding machine... I'm talking a time before calculators. This dinosaur had numbered buttons you pushed and then a crank handle you pulled down and the numbers added up on a paper tape that scrolled out. Too much fun. We also got to play with real plunger shots (minus the needles of course). When I was in my early teens I remember him showing me sperm through his microscope - back when doctors did a lot of their own lab work right in their offices. I don't think I'll find any of that at Staples.
    Staples discontinued the sperm slides years ago.

My dad's office had one of those adding machines too and I used to love playing with it. And the manual typewriters.

Gosh Ellen, between Trader Joe's and Staples, do you have any money left??

I want to shop with YOU!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3310158;
    . . . Gosh Ellen, between Trader Joe's and Staples, do you have any money left??
    I'm really good at shopping sales, and TJ's has good prices anyway, so yeah, in a not-rich-but-not-in-any-debt sorta way!

(My latest "happy dance" find at Trader Joe's: the same kind of Organic non-fat or low-fat Tomato Bisque soup as Amy's -- but since it carries the TJ's label, it's half the price of what I'd been paying for it at my IGA supermarket!)
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3310158;
    I want to shop with YOU!!!
    That would be so much fun! If you ever get to come to San Diego, I'll take you to the Zoo, do the not-so-touristy La Jolla harbor seal and sea lion tour, a bunch of other fun stuff, and the livin'-on-a-bootstring "cool-stuff" shopping tour which would include three Trader Joe's, the Staples that has the best stuff on sale, and the block with the "funnest" secondhand book and clothing stores! And we'd have lunch at Tender Greens, where the owners/chefs are of the San Francisco "slow food" genre and the prices are amazingly low for the quality of fresh, seasonal, local fare -- and a decent wine list!
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-08-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Back when I was in school, I used to love school supplies. In fact, by the end of school, I was almost neurotic about some of them-- I would only use mechanical pencils (with 7 mm lead), and I also managed to find a set of colored mechanical pencils with refills that I really liked. I still have a fondness for (ironically) index cards, which I always used more effectively to hold lists and things than for flash cards, and post its, though I hardly use anything other than scrap and a pencil or pen anymore.

+ Reply to Thread