+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I also work at an all male shop-- Fishing and car magazines are also very popular with the guys.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3298718;
    I worked as a welder with almost all men for 8 years. Once I got past the "initiation" stage, and they realized that I wasn't going to go running to management whenever they told an off-color joke, they all treated me really well. In fact, the ones that I worked directly with got to be very protective of me. I was the resident "mom" of the group and many of them came to me for advice about their wives and girlfriends. My guys took pretty good care of me, not letting me lift anything too heavy. Of course, I repaid them with home made cookies!

There were other women working there that didn't get along as well as I did though. They averaged about 6 to 8 women out of maybe 60 employees during the time I worked there. But we did have our own bathroom and the company held sensitivity training every year. I know there were incidents, but nothing happened to me personally.
    Wow, you worked as a welder? That is SO cool. I want a welder's jacket, don't ask me why, I just want one. The leather one with the long sleeves and the short body. I always thought it would be fun to be a sculpture that worked in metal so I could weld. My husband keeps threatening to buy a welder and I wish he would so I could try it out.

My mom worked mostly with men and held a management job in the 70's that very few women had at that time and a lot don't have now. But she always got on better with men and her employees would do anything for her. I too find men easier to work with most of the time and I tend to gravitate to the men converations at parites and can tell a dirty joke just as well as they can. Not that I dislike women, but for the most part, I always found men to be a lot more fun usually and less stressful (and as I can talk football and cars, they tolerate me. ) However men gossip WAY more than women do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD - You sound like my daughter. When I worked there she used to love to tell people that her mom was a welder and see their reactions. I did enjoy working there and I was a pretty good welder if I do say so myself. But it's hard work, dirty and smoky. I welded aluminum which is way more toxic to breathe than when you weld steel. When I quit I gave away all my protective gear because I said that I will NEVER weld again.

I do have to say though that when it's 90 degrees out with 80% humidity and you're covered from head to toe in leather and can't even have a fan blowing on you, it's about as far from cool as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3298712;
    However, the guys where I worked got a hideous "pet/mascot" SNAKE while I was away on vacation and thought it would be funny to put that thing's cage very close to my desk. I do NOT like snakes, but I tolerated this one until it escaped and crawled up the wall behind my head. I quit about two seconds after that. I'm still in touch with those guys though. I'm the only person that they know who can type!
    You're a better person than I-- I would have screamed and run like hell at first sight until the snake was removed and placed far, far away. And the second part? I would have died.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yeah, the bathrooms are amassing points for the x-rated magazines. They stack them next to the toilets. I don't even want to think about why. I'd also be willing to hazard a guess that if the magazines disappeared, they were "relocated", but not gotten rid of. Most guys with special interests, who do read, will bring in their own special materials from home and leave it around, or keep it where nobody can get their hands on it.

Another thing that dawned on me that the guys really, really like. Crocheted blankets. They are really moved and proud when somebody brings them something like that. They can (and do) always point to the blanket and can say, "Look what they made me!" And those last a lifetime. Their reactions to those can be very gratifying.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3298747;
    MRD - You sound like my daughter. When I worked there she used to love to tell people that her mom was a welder and see their reactions. I did enjoy working there and I was a pretty good welder if I do say so myself. But it's hard work, dirty and smoky. I welded aluminum which is way more toxic to breathe than when you weld steel. When I quit I gave away all my protective gear because I said that I will NEVER weld again.

I do have to say though that when it's 90 degrees out with 80% humidity and you're covered from head to toe in leather and can't even have a fan blowing on you, it's about as far from cool as you can get.
    My neighbor was an engineer in an aluminum casting plant in California. I have been fascinated about his stories about how they cast parts for airplanes. I never knew all that stuff. But from his descriptions, I would imagine that plant was hot, dirty and smoky too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know there is a movie thread, but I just wanted to say here... if you have the opportunity go see Slum Dog Millionaire - Go!!!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3298811;
    Another thing that dawned on me that the guys really, really like. Crocheted blankets. They are really moved and proud when somebody brings them something like that. They can (and do) always point to the blanket and can say, "Look what they made me!" And those last a lifetime. Their reactions to those can be very gratifying.

Whoa shay. I think you have a point there. DH has a crocheted blanket his SIL made for him and he ADORES that thing. It is on his chair and nobody is allowed to use it.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Jennifer Hudson did a SPECTACULAR job of singing The Star Spangled Banner at the start of the Super Bowl! It was just beautiful!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was very impressed with Jennifer, and I haven't been much of a fan. not -not- a fan, just haven't noticed that much.

She did an amazing job, and she looked terrific.

+ Reply to Thread