+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5909Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am right-handed and there was never a doubt. However, it has been called to my attention that there are a few things I do left-handed and I had never noticed. For instance, I deal cards left-handed. I tried to switch hands once it was pointed out to see how that would work, and it was a disaster! There were cards everywhere! 52 pick-up anyone? Mr. M has pointed out a few things I do in the kitchen left-handed as well.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

same with me, margaritaville ... i'm definitely right-handed, but there's a few things that i do left-handed and i absolutely cannot do them with my right. freaky huh?

MRD

I can see a very noticable difference in strenth in my right and left hands. My left hand is a 90 pound weakling having sand kicked in it's face at the beach, while my right hand is pretty darn strong.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3288155;
    I can see a very noticable difference in strenth in my right and left hands. My left hand is a 90 pound weakling having sand kicked in it's face at the beach, while my right hand is pretty darn strong.
    An indicator of my left hand strength is how easy it is for me to hold my iron skillet with my left hand and pour something out of it. I need to actively work out with weights to heft that thing. I am on the weak side right now.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3288185;
    An indicator of my left hand strength is how easy it is for me to hold my iron skillet with my left hand and pour something out of it. I need to actively work out with weights to heft that thing. I am on the weak side right now.
    Funny, that's how I tell too. I can swing that dang thing with my right hand, but I have a lot of trouble just lifting it with the left. Maybe as I have two and one is heavier than the other, I should use my iron skillets as weights to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3287530;
    And I did remember correctly. My dictionary says the word sinister means in latin "left-hand". Originally meaning on or to the left-hand side. I have better dexterity with my left hand than a lot of people I know. .
    Funny you used the bolded word. During the same period, "dexter' meant "right'. And the supposed goodness of the 'dexter' side led to people saying "right' as in right or wrong.
    OK, going to take my 'font of useless but interesting facts' shoes off. I didn't even need to look this information up.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3288336;
    Funny you used the bolded word. During the same period, "dexter' meant "right'. And the supposed goodness of the 'dexter' side led to people saying "right' as in right or wrong.
    OK, going to take my 'font of useless but interesting facts' shoes off. I didn't even need to look this information up.
    Added to that (it's nice whenever I can use stuff from my historical linguistics classes!): "gauche" (awkward, socially inept, tacky, etc.) is the French word for "left," and "adroit" (skillful, graceful) is derived from the French "droit" meaning "right," or "à droit" meaning "to the right" or "on the right-hand side."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Queenb is on my team when we next play Trivial Pursuit.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

the only time i've ever seen it used is when i had xrays of my back. the report said i had "dextrorotoscoliosis", and my doctor said dextro meant right, so my lower spine is rotated a bit to the right.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3288465;
    Added to that (it's nice whenever I can use stuff from my historical linguistics classes!): "gauche" (awkward, socially inept, tacky, etc.) is the French word for "left," and "adroit" (skillful, graceful) is derived from the French "droit" meaning "right," or " droit" meaning "to the right" or "on the right-hand side."
    Funny but an old, obscure 80's song came to mind: "Pass the Dutchie on the right hand side".

+ Reply to Thread