+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5909Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3286589;
    When I was little, I tried to train myself to be ambidextrous. Turns out I am really right hand dominant and horribly uncoordinated with my left hand.
    And I forgot to mention that in elementary school, when we received grades on skills and not just courses, I almost failed handwriting.. with my right hand. So bad.

No one ever tried to "correct" my left-handedness. I'm the only southpaw (and the only redhead) in my family, but that just makes me more special!

The only time that I have had a major problem with being left handed was when my mother tried to teach me to knit. We both ended up in tears and she had to cut my pathetic, backwards attempts off of the knitting needles. That was years ago though and we've been discussing another lesson.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

doxie, I'm assuming your mom is righthanded, so try facing her when you're starting out again-the mirror image might work!

The only thing my left hand is good for is when I play piano. Writing,...forget it! Drawing or painting,...no way!

My youngest son is a lefty and the only difference it made was we had to make sure that he sat on our left when we went out to eat and sat in a booth, so our elbows didn't bump while eating!

I've noticed though, that he can do a lot more things with his right hand than I can do with my left and I wonder if that is because he had to train his right hand because of living in a "righty's world".

I do remember his first parent/teacher conference when he was in kindergarten. His teacher told me that his cutting skills were really bad and since he's always had great eye hand coordination, I wondered about this. So I asked her if he was using a left handed scissors and that's when I found out that she had no idea that he was left handed. I understand that teacher's have a lot going on in their days, but I would have thought that this was something that she would have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3287059;
    No one ever tried to "correct" my left-handedness. I'm the only southpaw (and the only redhead) in my family, but that just makes me more special!

The only time that I have had a major problem with being left handed was when my mother tried to teach me to knit. We both ended up in tears and she had to cut my pathetic, backwards attempts off of the knitting needles. That was years ago though and we've been discussing another lesson.

LOL Doxie, I am the only lefty in my family and the only redhead too! (Of course that changed with the birth of my two daughters and my granddaughter, but they are all righties!)

I was also going to suggest the mirror approach to learning how to knit. Sit opposite her. That's how one of my coworkers (another lefty) learned how to knit from her mom.

I also agree with others who have said that us lefties probably do more with our right hands because it is a right-handed world.

LilBit, I doubt they even had left-handed scissors when I was a kid and I really don't remember if I had trouble with cutting things back then. I do have a pair of sewing scissors that are left handed....and no one dare use them for anything else! I find that I can cut out coupons, wrapping paper, etc., with a regular scissor but when I am cutting fabric I MUST use my left-handed scissors.

I do have trouble with those manual can opener things. They are a royal pain for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3287059;

Same thing happened when I tried to teach a lefty friend to crochet. I was in tears! I told her to check out the videos on YouTube to learn.

From what I remember the feeling that lefties were from the devil is a very old notion. And I did remember correctly. My dictionary says the word sinister means in latin "left-hand". Originally meaning on or to the left-hand side. I am right-handed but my dad is a south paw, so I'm always interested when I read stuff. I have better dexterity with my left hand than a lot of people I know. I always figured that while I am right-handed that my dad passed some of his left-handedness to me. Why they thought lefties were so bad I'm not sure.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

isn't it amazing how some of those old beliefs were?
    actually, even today, there are some beliefs that are rather "out there". the pentecostal denomination that i was involved in believes that schizophrenia and/or multiple personality disorder is really demon posession.

as for left-handedness, i remember my little sister being left handed and mom struggling to make her right handed. as far as i'm aware, she's still left handed. my ex husband was a lefty and was disppointed neither of our kids turned out that way. LOL

my supervisor, who is an identical twin, is left handed, while her sister is right handed. that's the only difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3287547;
    isn't it amazing how some of those old beliefs were?
    actually, even today, there are some beliefs that are rather "out there". the pentecostal denomination that i was involved in believes that schizophrenia and/or multiple personality disorder is really demon posession.

as for left-handedness, i remember my little sister being left handed and mom struggling to make her right handed. as far as i'm aware, she's still left handed. my ex husband was a lefty and was disppointed neither of our kids turned out that way. LOL

my supervisor, who is an identical twin, is left handed, while her sister is right handed. that's the only difference between them.
    It has always amazed me to hear that they thought that lefties were from the devil. I'm not sure why they did but it has prevailed.

Is your supervisor and her twin mirror twins?

I'm not sure why my dad was able to be left-handed as he is 66 years old. They really discouraged left-handedness then. I'll have to ask him about that some time. He does write upside down with his wrist in an awful posistion, no wonder he developed carpal tunnel. I am not at all sure why left-handed people had to have their papers turned the same way as right-handed. It doesn't even make any sense at all why you would expect that of someone. But like most lefties he can use his right hand for a lot of stuff. Much more than most right-handed people can. He can even print fairly neatly with his right hand although it's not nearly as quick as his left hand. When we were little and he wrote our gift tags from Santa he would always do it with his right hand so we wouldn't recognize the handwriting!

I remember my mom making my little sister use spoons in her right hand when she was in her high chair when she wanted to use her left. Later in gym we had to do balancing on one foot exercises and the gym teacher claimed which ever side you balance best on is an indication of handedness. Then and to this day I can balance forever on my left foot but not at all on my right, so I wonder if she did the same thing to me (mom/spoon).
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread