+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Noreality, thanks for posting that. I had NO idea. It's just that we haven't heard her referred to as Dr. and it started to get a little overdone and obvious like all the media got taken to task for not using it before which they should have been. Anyone that works that hard for it, should get to use "dr."
    I'm like you, with a Ph.D in education, maybe that will put an emphasis on it in this administration

As an ex educator, it meant a lot to me. I agree with both you and Ellen, as well, that it will be nice to see the end of a 'dumbing down of our culture'.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 01-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3286492;
    I always wished I was left-handed.
    When I was little, I tried to train myself to be ambidextrous. Turns out I am really right hand dominant and horribly uncoordinated with my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3286589;
    When I was little, I tried to train myself to be ambidextrous. Turns out I am really right hand dominant and horribly uncoordinated with my left hand.
    My grandma had that problem but with work she over came it. She broke her right wrist twice and had to learn to write legibly as a lefty. It took her a while, though.

My husband is a lefty and he does almost everything with his right hand except write. He uses his left hand for writing. His mom used to claim the devil had touched him because he was left handed and used to smack his hand when he reached for things with the left. Weird.
    Yup, with donuts!!

My mom (in education) tried to stop my oldest from using his left hand. My youngest started out right handed, but due to breaking his right thumb in kindergarten, learned to use his left hand. He continues to use his left hand. I don't think it makes a difference.

My husband is a lefty. He started going to Catholic school. The nuns used to smack his hand with a ruler (the wooden kind with the little metal strip) every time he picked up a pencil with his left hand. They always said it was a sign of the devil! (Well, let me think about that . . . in his case it could actually be true!) Anyway, after one particularly harsh smacking with that ruler, he went home and told his mother he was never going back. I think he was in third grade. So she took him out of Catholic school and sent him to public school.

I, too, am a lefty. My parents and all my sibs are righties. I went to Catholic schools and, thankfully, none of the nuns (say that 3x real fast!) ever swatted me with a ruler. Next time I talk to my parents, I think I will ask them what they would have done had one of the nuns ever did that to me.

Hubby and daughters are righties; my son is a lefty like me.

My mother has twin cousins, now in their 70s. One was a lefty and, in school, they actually tied her left arm behind her back to force her to use her right hand. My mother remembers that vividly, so maybe she would have said something to the nuns if they had ever tried to correct my lefthandedness.

I can do a lot of things righthanded though and could, in a pinch, sign my name using my right hand.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd never heard about left-hand preference being a sign of the devil until today. One of my co-people at the community center said that that was what her mother had said to her, but she's not Catholic, and that using her left hand was discouraged.

My niece is a lefty, and my mother used to try to encourage her to use her right hand, saying that it was a right-handed world. Niece is still a lefty.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3286817;
    I'd never heard about left-hand preference being a sign of the devil until today. One of my co-people at the community center said that that was what her mother had said to her, but she's not Catholic, and that using her left hand was discouraged.

My niece is a lefty, and my mother used to try to encourage her to use her right hand, saying that it was a right-handed world. Niece is still a lefty.
    I think i got that from my mom as well. Nonetheless, im still a bit dextrous. My new beef with Obama is that he stole my baby name, Malia.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Malia is actually the Hawaiian name for Mary.

+ Reply to Thread