+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4498Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3270410;
    I still have you all beat in the chicken broth department. I think we are down to 30 cans from the last 72 can purchase.
    And I thought I had a lot. I just bought 6! I usually make my own after I roast a chicken, but I always like to have few cans, too...just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3270159;
    I do this with chicken broth also! Fortunately Mr.Closet doesn't help put away the groceries (because I am a control freak in my kitchen) so he doesn't see when I have ended up with 10 cans of it!

I find that to limit my grocery bill I have to leave the kids at home. I end up with at least twice as much snack food when any of them are along!

On a side note, I have switched almost completely to reusable grocery bags and I love them! I just use the standard 99 cent kind you can get almost anywhere these days. They can hold at least 2 or 3 times as many groceries and that means fewer trips between my house and my car in sub-zero temps this winter!! The only bummer is when I forget to put them back in my car or forget to being them into the store.
    I use the reusable bags but the checkers at Walmart sure don't seem to like the idea. They often go ahead and use the plastic after I've told them that I have my own. (guess they couldn't see them sitting there) I embarrassed my husband a while back when I held up the whole show in order to UNLOAD all the plastic and repack it in the reusable ones. I asked the woman several times to use my bags and she would put a couple of items in them, then go back to the plastic. My favorite bags are from Kroger. They have a little zipper pocket inside to hold coupons and such. Also, a man at Walmart had a reusable insulated bag that he got at the exchange at the Navy Base here. It was about the size of the bags we get but was insulated and had a zipper around three sides at the top. He said they cost two dollars. I have meant to ask my girlfriend to pick me up a couple but keep forgetting.I haven't seen them anywhere else.

I am also one of those who leave the grocery list on the counter but it seems that once I've written a list and read through it a couple of times I usually buy most if not all of the things on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3271147;
    I use the reusable bags but the checkers at Walmart sure don't seem to like the idea. They often go ahead and use the plastic after I've told them that I have my own. (guess they couldn't see them sitting there) I embarrassed my husband a while back when I held up the whole show in order to UNLOAD all the plastic and repack it in the reusable ones. I asked the woman several times to use my bags and she would put a couple of items in them, then go back to the plastic.
    OMGosh. That would make me SO annoyed!! I don't shop at Walmart much, but the times I have used my bags there I didn't have any trouble (thankfully). The first couple of times I brought them when shopping with MrCloset he grumbled a bit, but the last time we went he actually reminded me to grab them. I think he was convinced when he saw how many fewer bags we ended up with in the car!!

I prefer shopping at Kroger but some things they don't have, or there is a big price difference so I have to hit Walmart. I also shop at Aldi's about once a month. And occasionally I go to Sam's.

I've seen the insulated reusable bags at Walmart. They were by the frozen food section.

Took DD to buy her first real dress. She wants it hemmed a couple inches but I'm afraid of ruining it...and she is currently raiding my jewelry box (think armoire) looking for a necklace.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3271969;
    I've seen the insulated reusable bags at Walmart. They were by the frozen food section.

Took DD to buy her first real dress. She wants it hemmed a couple inches but I'm afraid of ruining it...and she is currently raiding my jewelry box (think armoire) looking for a necklace.
    Our Walmart has some of those by the freezers but they are just flat bags with an open top. The ones I want are about the same size as the reusable ones we buy, have the squared bottoms and all but have the zip top.

MRD

Gut, those crisped snow peas are fabulous. Ever try wasabi peas?

We don't cheap out on groceries, but we also don't really splurge much either. I do tend to shop the sales as much as possible. My dream would be to only shop at Fresh Market and Whole Foods. Need to win the lottery to be able to afford that one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Luckily, I live in a region where there are still reasonably priced options so that I don't have to support Wal-Mart (cf: documentary: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price) -- so I've been able to find great freezer bags at Trader Joe's. They're really nice for grocery shopping in summer! (Or most of the year in SoCal, for that matter!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3272086;
    Luckily, I live in a region where there are still reasonably priced options so that I don't have to support Wal-Mart (cf: documentary: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price) -- so I've been able to find great freezer bags at Trader Joe's. They're really nice for grocery shopping in summer! (Or most of the year in SoCal, for that matter!)
    We don't have Trader Joe's and I don't remember ever seeing one when we've traveled. If I ever do I'm going to spend hours checking the place out. I've heard only good things about them.

Darn! I just went to their website and they have a store in Nashville! That's only about four hours from me and we go there pretty often. Hot durn, I feel a road trip coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3272119;
    We don't have Trader Joe's and I don't remember ever seeing one when we've traveled. If I ever do I'm going to spend hours checking the place out. I've heard only good things about them.
    Well, if you're ever in San Diego, let me know and I'll give you a tour! (I've made friends with the sample lady and the wine lady . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3272119;
    Darn! I just went to their website and they have a store in Nashville! That's only about four hours from me and we go there pretty often. Hot durn, I feel a road trip coming on!
    There ya go!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread