+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I still have you all beat in the chicken broth department. I think we are down to 30 cans from the last 72 can purchase.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3270159;
    On a side note, I have switched almost completely to reusable grocery bags and I love them! I just use the standard 99 cent kind you can get almost anywhere these days. They can hold at least 2 or 3 times as many groceries and that means fewer trips between my house and my car in sub-zero temps this winter!! The only bummer is when I forget to put them back in my car or forget to being them into the store.
    I wondered if those worked. Now I'm inspired to give them a try!

I don't even make a grocery list until I do a menu for the week or so. Then on my list I'll put heading for meat, diary, produce, staples, misc. Go thru each day on my menu and list only those things which I have to have to make meals. Items we always use such as coffee, tiolet paper etc. I just have huge stocks at home and refill those when I see a great sale.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3270410;
    I still have you all beat in the chicken broth department. I think we are down to 30 cans from the last 72 can purchase.
    You are truly the Chicken Broth Queen of the Fort
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I use the reuseable bags, too. Hannaford has some cute ones with sayings on them... "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first" - with a huge picture of a slice of lemon merange pie. My favorite is a boy with a towel cape leaping over grass that says, "Find your happy place and keep it green". I have 4 or 5 and remember to bring them in about half of the time. They are in the back seat of the car and I put them in the front seat before I leave my driveway if I think of them. Otherwise I get sidetracked trying to find a parking place. I don't make a list. I go up and down the aisles and get what I think we need. I rarely forget something. I have a pretty good mental grasp on what we need.
    Count your blessings!

I've been using the reusable plastic-coated 99-cent bags, and recently been switching over to the more durable two-buck canvas bags, for almost a year now. It took awhile to get used to remembering them, but it's reflex now -- even for CVS and Rite-Aid stuff! My favorite bag is a canvas one from Cost Plus World Market with the word "green" in several languages on it (my last name is "Green"). And the bright red canvas bags from Trader Joe's are just plain cool. But given my name (and my profession as a language teacher/tutor), my fave is the multi-lingual green one from World Market.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Gutmutter - I try to move mine to the front seat before I leave the driveway also. They are a lot harder to forget when they are right in my face!

I think the key attribute I look for in a reusable bag is sides that are stiff enough to stand up. It is just so much easier for the grocery baggers to fill them up! Since I have started using them I have really realized how common they have become in my area. I usually see at least a handful of people at the store who have brought their own!

I have been using my own bags for a few years and now I feel weird getting a bag from the store. At the grocery store I fold the tops of my bags down when I bag and it helps to keep it open. My favorite bags are some red and white hibiscus print from Trader Joe's. They are strong and the perfect size.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3269504;
    Easily my biggest pet peeve as far as grammar is concerned... your/you're. For some reason, it drives me crazy, not to get judgmental or anything.
    i got an email yesterday where someone used "you're" correctly ... i was sooooo tempted to respond and say THANK YOU!!!

MRD

I had to buy a cheapy foam cooler several months back. I keep it in the trunk for when I buy something that needs to stay cold and I can make a stop on the way home from the grocery.

The hot new thing this past Christmas was to put your gifts inside the reusable grocery bags and give both as the present. No wrapping paper and a good gift as I don't think anyone can have enough of those bags.

Absolutely NO shopping with the kid, the bill doubles and we have more junk than we need. Although my husband says that about me. He is actually the better shopper. He sticks completely to the list and also does cost comparison and can meal plan while in the store. I try to buy the best value, but I can't shop and meal plan and I am easily distracted by new stuff. I don't do a lot of impulse buying, but I do do some.
    Back when we were first married and new parents and could only spend $50 a week on groceries, he would go to the store and come home with bags and bags of food and meals for a week. I could go and we'd have 2 bags and food for 2 days.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'll admit that grocery shopping is one area I could cut back. I eat healthy and don't even look at the cost on fresh fruits and veggies (other than things like mangos). I don't wear make up, have my hair done, go out to eat, or drink alcohol much, so I figure it is a good place to splurge. I also try one new thing every time I go to the grocery store and have discovered some wonderful things that way... crisped snow peas, coconut soda (Goya), individual bags of guacamole for my lunch, rice milk, jicama. I never thought of taking a reusable bag to CVS or Walmart, but I'm going to start doing that. Thanks Ellen for that idea. I have a small Trader Joe's bag with a beach scene and surf boards that would be good for smaller purchases. When I bring the groceries in, I put the empty bags on the doorknob so I remember to take them out to the car.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread