+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3267554;
    I admit to going back and re-reading my post to see if you were talking about me.

My peeve is when people use "quite" when they mean "quiet". I used to think it was just my mom, but I see it so much more now and I just want to scream.

Mom would write to me weekly and the letters always ended the same way:

"everything's quite here."

And I would think "quite what? Quite boring? quite active? how about quite quiet?"

This is also the same woman that wrote me and my brother about getting us all rooms with "bolognies" looking over Bourbon street when we were all going to New Orleans on vacation. I think I mentioned that before. We never have a room with a balcony anymore. It's always a bologna.
    The only room I'd want with bolognies is if they are Usingers. "Americas finest Vursts Ja? Ja!!"

The kids at my school quite often say that they want to play "chest". Even after I very clearly say, "the chess boards are in the cupboard", they still call it chest!

Many adults around here say "I should have went" Drives me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3267502;
    I hate it when people misuse the words "fewer" and "less". I guess I'm pet-peeving today.
    Amen -- especially "10 items or less"! "Items" is a countable noun, dammit!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3267897;
    The kids at my school quite often say that they want to play "chest". Even after I very clearly say, "the chess boards are in the cupboard", they still call it chest!
    How old are the kids? 'Cuz when my DH says he wants to play "chest," he really does mean "chest"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3267897;
    Many adults around here say "I should have went" Drives me crazy!
    It sure as hell doesn't take much to get a diploma these days, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3268009;
    How old are the kids? 'Cuz when my DH says he wants to play "chest," he really does mean "chest"!
    they are little kids, first or second grade. Some big kid will come along and humiliate and set them straight eventually. They don't seem to want to hear me correct them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3268018;
    they are little kids, first or second grade. Some big kid will come along and humiliate and set them straight eventually. They don't seem to want to hear me correct them!
    It's likely that they're doing a form of hypercorrection: they've been told to pronounce their final consonants; "chest" is a familiar word, while "chess" is not. So they hear "chess," and their little brains supply the final "t" to the more familiar word when you clearly say "chess." A few of the linguistically brighter kids might figure out the difference on their own, but most won't get it unless they're told (and shown the spelling difference) directly. (And in a couple of years, they'll say "play chest," but it'll have a different meaning! )

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3267369;
    I'm going to finish my history major. However this school has a general history major and not an American History Major and I want to be an American History major, so what the plan is is to take a degree as a Bach. of Arts, Independent Study. That way, I can pick my own major and have 4 options on how I do it. I can just take the American History classes I want, or what I'm thinking of doing is taking the American History classes and minoring in political science.
    Good luck! It sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3267369;
    I love good deals and I never buy wrapping paper before Christmas. I always go after and get it when it's on sale for the next year.
    I should really drop by the store tomorrow and see if they have any good wrapping paper left. I used every scrap we had the night before Christmas. It would definitely be nice to pick some up while it is cheap rather than wait and feel the pain of paying full price in eleven months!!

On the topic of speech. It really bugs me when people say axe instead of ask or conversate instead of converse.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3268117;
    On the topic of speech. It really bugs me when people say axe instead of ask or conversate instead of converse.
    I shudder each time I hear that...it's just wrong. I want to scream "You've heard how the word is pronounced, what's the problem"? People's spelling often gets to me especially when I see them repeatedly spell the same word in the wrong way. I know that means that it's not just a typo.
    CYA

My Little Sister says "tooken" instead of "taken". I realize she probably hears it at home, but I'm a little surprised because she's a voracious reader, and that usually corrects a lot. So last week when she said it, I jokingly said I wasn't familiar with that word, is it Spanish? She laughed and corrected herself, so at least she knows what she should be saying. I've had to act offended at mild swears and I've told her it's disrespecting me to use that language when we're together. So hopefully she's picking up that there are times when she needs to make more of an effort with her words.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread