+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6189Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My son is a senior and starting the whole FAFSA process. His Dad (my ex) is a supervisor over at the call center who does that stuff. Guess who doesn't have to lift a finger here?

I'm glad you got it worked out MRD. I've heard stories that would make your hair curl, as my mama used to say.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

After that bureaucratic nightmare, my hair is now curly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Great news, MRD-your old hell is over and the new one is about to begin! I imagine you coming on here talking "valley girl", like, you know! I'm jealous in a good way-maybe you'll get me off my butt!

Great to hear that mrd - I'm sure its a relief to know that the app is through and you are getting some dough for tuition! I have no desire for further education (I have a teaching degree from UT which I never have used) but I admire those that go especially the later in life ones! I know you will do great.

MRD

They keep referring to me as a "non-traditional" student. I said I wish they'd call it what it is: OLD!

Famita, like, maybe now, like, I can learn like, to text like, and stuff.

I have a couple friends that went later in life and said it was a challenge, but that they also felt a lot more able to do the work than when they were 18. I know now that I will be more focused on classes instead of the social scene back when I was in school in the early 80's.

I actually know (not well) one of the history professors at the Univ. and she is actually the one that talked me into going to this school and she said she and other profs LOVE the "non-traditional" students as they are way more serious about the classes and take things a lot more seriously and tend to do better than the "traditional" students.
    And this is a small campus. 4500 students. When I attended the University of Florida, there were more students than people that lived in my home county. I think at the time there were around 38,000 students.

I just hope I'm up for the challenge because the financial aid thing almost did me in. If classes are that frustrating then I'm liable to implode!

But thanks all. I'm nervous and scared, but excited to start this new chapter of my life.
    I appreciate all the good wishes. I just hope I can live up to expectations, mine and everyone elses.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Text books should be available on that e-book machine thing-y that they sell on Amazon.

I like going to school, but I am glad that part of my life is way behind me now! I always felt sorry for the co-workers who decided to go back to school while having to work a full-time job. Talk about zero fun!

I could see taking classes on-line.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-06-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I'm a traditionalist so the ereader is not something I really want and because of my major, I'll probably keep a lot of my textbooks, so while I'll go with a lot of used books, probably some of the ones pertaining to my major will be new ones if I can afford it. And I'll be reselling the books from classes I
    HAVE to take but that aren't necessarily major classes.

I'm just hoping they don't make me retake my science and math and I think they probably will because it was so long ago. NOT looking forward to THAT.

I remember when I went to OSU, my dorm had more people than my home town (at the time)-talk about cultural shock!

MRD, like, what do, like, you think, um, you'll, you know, enjoy most, like, about, like, your classes?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3266611;
    I just hope I'm up for the challenge because the financial aid thing almost did me in. If classes are that frustrating then I'm liable to implode!
    I think they just put you through the financial aid hell to weed out the people who aren't serious!

I always thought the financial aid process was the absolute WORST part about college. And when you pick up your books, try to go on the first day so you can be picky and find the used books that haven't been marked up. I always avoided the ones that had already been highlighted and commented in - who knows if that person was highlighting and commenting on the right stuff!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Reading helps!

I think we always build things up in our minds to be worse than they really are. "You know", "like"...shots!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread