+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I can't even walk near a phone booth without feeling grossed out!! I hate watching kids who pick the phone up and play around with it when their parents are busy doing something else. I want to scream!!!! Don't you know how many germs are on that phone??
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3265083;
    I know that the younger generation finds this hard to believe, but there was a time that if you left your house or work, you couldn't receive a phone call ANYWHERE. Aw, those were the days.

And, if you didn't have an answering machine, they had to call back.

My phone is for my convenience and the only person that doesn't get that is my sister. If I am to busy to answer, she thinks I am mad at her.

No loud, obnoxious ring tone here. I did go through that phase...I had a comedian so yelled "your phone is ringing. Somebody find my owner, I'm ringing and I can't find my owner". It cracked me up. Now it is Crazy by Patsy Cline.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3265366;
    No loud, obnoxious ring tone here. I did go through that phase...I had a comedian so yelled "your phone is ringing. Somebody find my owner, I'm ringing and I can't find my owner". It cracked me up. Now it is Crazy by Patsy Cline.
    After I started watching the show Medium I ended up so attuned to Allison's ring tone that I would do a double-take whenever I heard a phone in the grocery store ring with the same tone - it was a popular one!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3265087;
    But you set yourself up for their gross germs!!! Eeeeeewwwwwww!!!!
    But we weren't as germ wary back then as we are now. I don't remember ever being that concerned with public phones or shopping cart handles 15-20 years ago.
    Besides, germs keep us healthy.

If you are exposed to germs, your immune system works better. I read an article that says that now that we use the antibacterial soaps and gels and wipes that we are actually less healthy than before that trend started because we could actually fight off the germs the more we were exposed to them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've found that you have to be careful about what germs you might pass on to people whose immune systems aren't as strong as yours. And you never quite know whom that may be. I've had little trouble fighting off germs, but every now and then I catch a whopper of a cold. I don't do a lot of germicidal cleansers and soaps, though. One thing I do insist on is carrying and using my own pen, with refusing to lend it to others when it's cold/flu season. I have thought about carrying one in a plastic bag for when people want to borrow a pen; I want them to get the hint.

The director at the community center has this habit of offering multiple people "tastes" of some kinds of foods off the same fork/spoon. You should see the look she gives me when I look at her like she's crazy and turn my head. "No Thank You, Lady." That's just nasty. I still say kid germs will KILL you! :nono I didn't even do that in my own family home. YUCK! Meningitis awaits!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

You know there have been a few times in my life when the phrase "god, I NEED a drink" has never been more appropriate. Well tonight I need more than just one.

I have been stuck in a bureaucratic nightmare for weeks called "financial aid". And FAFSA applications have got to have contributed to more alcoholics than anything else.

I have been stuck in PIN number limbo for several weeks. All phone calls and attempts to rectify this situation have been like beating my head against a wall. My number was not recognized, so I needed to change it, but when I changed it, then it said that I had no application and to apply. I would apply and it would say: "application already exists". so I would try to call it up and use my PIN and it would say: "no match found". I literally went around and around and around and not a few other people went around with me until tonight, somehow, we managed to "break the loop".

Well after spending hours on the phone, tonight I can finally claim a measure of success. Whoever we talked to tonight was able to unlock the PIN number hell and my application was finally received and confirmed!!!!!

Now I need to somehow find about $2,500 in the next two weeks for the remainder of tuition and books.

But at least tonight, I know how much grant money I'm getting, and it covers more than half the tuition, so that is a huge relief. But I'm telling you, that if I have to go through this every single year until I graduate, I am probably going to be a drinker. No wonder college students are seen as such heavy drinkers. (insert sarcasm here. )

Senator Pell whom the grant is named after passed away this past week. I would like to think that finally tonight, maybe he looked down and gave me some form of divine intervention before I went completely whacko.

Sorry for the heavy gloating post, but I had to tell someone as you all have NO idea what a pain in the arse this has been. My desk has indentations from, me beating my head against it.
    So in true FORT addiction fashion, you are the 2nd to know! Yippee!

Now I just need to go to orientation and then register for classes and talk to financial aid again at the school and hope like hell I can get a student loan or something. But at least the student financial aid at the school is not a computer, I get to actually deal with a human.

OK, celebration over. Thanks for reading this far.

That's great news, mrd! As soon as you get your immunization papers, you'll be all set. We wouldn't want you to catch meningitis from some dirty freshman!

Yeah I was just going to say get a meningitis shot while you're at it. We made sure the kids got it when they went off to school. Now it is not just for the kids going off to college, they are giving it to much younger kids. one can't be too safe where meningitis is concerned.

MRD: Congratulations! So happy to hear that you are going to be able to go back to school. You might be able to save some money by looking into buying used textbooks online once you are registered and have a list of the books that you will need.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Oh definetly going the used book route. SO much cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread