+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I like the states that have outlawed having both THUMBS off the steering wheel at any time! That is one smart rule. They are trying to get people to stop texting while driving, for which there is NO excuse.

My son gets annoyed because I won't always answer my phone; I get annoyed because he usually won't leave a message. He usually doesn't want anything important, anyway....so there you go. It's the old "mother vs. son" standoff. He'll leave a message when it's really important. I think we've had the discussion in here before about kids (usually in their 20s, that I know of) not leaving messages when they get the voicemail. I just don't get that mentality, but it seems to be what they do.

I have to admit that I do respond better to a text message, but it will be when I get around to it, as opposed to immediately upon receipt. Snotty Me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3264195;
    I like the states that have outlawed having both THUMBS off the steering wheel at any time! That is one smart rule. They are trying to get people to stop texting while driving, for which there is NO excuse.

My son gets annoyed because I won't always answer my phone; I get annoyed because he usually won't leave a message. He usually doesn't want anything important, anyway....so there you go. It's the old "mother vs. son" standoff. He'll leave a message when it's really important. I think we've had the discussion in here before about kids (usually in their 20s, that I know of) not leaving messages when they get the voicemail. I just don't get that mentality, but it seems to be what they do.I have to admit that I do respond better to a text message, but it will be when I get around to it, as opposed to immediately upon receipt. Snotty Me!

But THEY EXPECT everyone else to leave messages for them...

When my cell contract expired that was it for me. I don't have a cell and very rarely have missed it. I do have a trac phone that I can add minutes too if I have to have it...but honestly it's sat in a drawer for the past 2 years. Besides I can always borrow someone else's phone if an emergency comes up.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3264143;
    While I was at a NYE party, I noticed about a dozen people, mostly high school and college aged, who not only had their phones, but spent a great deal of time staring at texts or playing with them. They were with friends and there was lots to do at this party, but they couldn't quit their phones...seemed pathetic to me, but maybe they were bored. If that was the case, it seemed rude.

I am not into phones I guess. I just got a cell phone a year ago and rarely use it.
    Cootie, it's n ot just high school and college age. Most of the people last night were 30's and 40's and I have 2 friends that are both in their 40's and the phone never leaves their hands, they are texting all the time and they have done it at restaurants and at parties and I want to say so badly how rude it is to do that.

I'm with you. I got a phone in Aug. and I rarely turn it on. Most of my friends aqnd family complain that I never have it on. Well it's for MY convenience, not theirs.
    There are times and a few people that I can talk to for over an hour on the phone, but for the most part, I don't enjoy being on the phone and I hate the constant contact that a cell phone brings. I don't need to call my husband or daughter 100 times a day and they don't need to call me either.
    In fact, it is rare that I talk to either of them on the cell phone at all. Theirs or mine.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog, I am with you on this. At the party I was at, it was a certain age group that were distracted by phones, but at work (elementary school), I am noticing more and more adults who carry their cell phones with them and are constantly checking for messages. My phone is put away at school as I focus on my work when I am there. The kids that I serve deserve my full attention. A few of my coworkers have mentioned that they need to quit looking at their phones, but seem to be addicted.

It seems like a security device to some. Or that they can't be alone for any length of time? I love having a cell phone, especially when I am on the road and a long ways from home while driving alone, so to a degree I understand the feeling of security. I just can't stand all that yakking!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3264195;
    I think we've had the discussion in here before about kids (usually in their 20s, that I know of) not leaving messages when they get the voicemail. I just don't get that mentality, but it seems to be what they do.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? I cannot stand voicemail. With a text, you can see the caller and the message in less time than it takes to enter the voicemail password. Add in the fact that for whatever reason, people seem to go blank the minute they hear "leave a message" and thus I end up with these rambling voicemails that take an age to get to the point. So I usually leave messages as a last resort, assuming that everyone finds the process as tedious as I do.

I actually just got a Blackberry for Christmas and even though I'd always had the most technologically archaic phone possible, I'm liking the upgrade for a variety of reasons. Relevant to this post? Visual voicemail! Instead of having to listen to each message, I get a list that I can decide which voicemails to listen to. It's so nice.

And as for pockets, yup, the only time we've dropped or lost phones has been when we've put them in pockets. My dad's fell into the lake from his shirt pocket, I almost lost a phone from my (reasonably deep but slippery) coat pocket... well, I did lose it, but fortunately a wonderful person found it and returned it to me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Loose pockets...that explains it. I won't use loose pockets, but I do get it. What about people that don't have text message capability? Heck, some don't even have voicemail capability.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Email. Which, all things being equal, is what I prefer.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3264143;
    While I was at a NYE party, I noticed about a dozen people, mostly high school and college aged,
    I've said this before, teenagers suck.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3264704;
    I've said this before, teenagers suck.

You've been to my house haven't you?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread