+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7148Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My pay-it-forward is going to be a contribution to a funeral fund for 4 teens who were killed in a car accident after a police chase. 3 of the boys were brothers (a set of twins, age 16, little brother 14), and the other boy (age 14) was their best friend. The person driving the car survived without any major injuries (he is 16). The 3 brothers were the only children of a dad who was raising them alone. By all accounts, the 4 boys were good students, and well thought of in their community. I am still shocked over this. This is more than anyone should ever have to bear. I can part with some money.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'll be there, too! I sure wouldn't turn down your dinners! I hope you all have a lot of fun. I have always loved playing Santa to people who don't know it's coming. My sons always thought the stockings were the important part, except for the big present that Santa (sometimes) brought!

That does sound like a lot of fun, mrd. Giving is also better than receiving, imo.

shay, what a terrible thing to happen especially during the holidays. How awful for their friends and families.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3256397;

ETA: I just realized that in less than 2 hours, we hit 3 stores and hauled in a Santa sized bag of stuff. Wow, look what 3 women can do on a mission.
    No one should ever underestimate a woman's ability to shop, I'm quite convinced. But on a more serious note, I'm glad you were able to help your friend. It sounds like an awful, awful situation legally and otherwise. I'm pulling for them. Keep us posted.

MRD

prhoshay that is an awful thing for any family to have to go through. I'm glad you're able to help out with the expenses.

Well our mission tonight is to get our houseguest a new radiator tomorrow so he can make the 10 hour drive back home to be with his kids for Christmas. And here I thought that this week would be kind of slow and boring as I'm done with everything and I thought I'd be looking for stuff to do. Stuff found me.

Famita, I would love nothing better than to cook and host you and Lois and everyone else on here. I know there would be a LOT of laughter to go around. One day we will have to make plans to all meet up.
    Maybe when I win that 60 million dollar lottery on Wed. night.

My dad LOVED playing Santa. His name was Claude and people in our town called him Santa Claude because every year at Christmas, he would buy cases of apples and other fruit, toys and games and candy and he would take it and distribute it all over town. He also would take boxes of candy or bottles of booze to the businesses he did business with over the year. He had one day the week of Christmas where he'd load the car with all this stuff (and he bought it all, he is the only man I know that liked to shop) and my mom and I would wrap it all for him. He got a bigger kick out of doing that than anything else he did all year. He absolutely LOVED Christmas. And I have to say that through he and my mom, I learned an awful lot about giving. I sure do miss them. But I think they'd be happy with what I was able to do today. Let's just hope that they can help with some divine intervention tomorrow as I go in search of a radiator and repair shop that can do a same day repair for our houseguest.

I am happy to say that I FINALLY got my Christmas spirit. I was sorely lacking up until this point.

So a VERY Merry Christmas to all my FORT friends (and their furry families as well)

ETA: Missyboxers, about that woman's ability to shop, sometime I'll have to tell you about shopping with my friends and putting the garbage can lid on my head in Target, pretending I was from outerspace and causing the stock boys to dump an entire load of Pepsi products they were carrying. And I wasn't a spring chicken either. This happened less than 10 years ago.
    We weren't exactly asked to leave the store, but we weren't exactly welcome either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I hope you have pictures and/or the store's security tape of this!

I still don't have any Christmas spirit, at all. If the temperature going from nearly 70 down to 15 yesterday and 17 this mornong doesn't do it, I don't reckon it's coming. Which is fine because I have not done any gift buying at all, no baking, no...nothing. And I believe I'll sleep in Christmas, rather than ripping and running all over town only to work all night. I might go see if my sister has drinks Christmas Eve, though, I don't work then. And I am way, way, way overdue a small warm buzz!
    MRD, the UFO incident sounds like the kind of thing I am constantly stirring up....
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Queenb, I have not doubt that you and I could get in a lot of trouble together.

Missyboxers, unfortunately no video. I really think me saying "Houston, this is Apollo 11, come in Houston" is what caused the stock boys to lose control. Probably the funniest part was the rolling cans of Pepsi and one rolled and rolled and rolled until it rolled up against my foot. I snatched that lid off my head and me and my friend RAN for it.

See, I'm not a great shopper. I get bored and my friend wanted a new garbage can. Even worse on the boredome scale of shopping is watching someone pick out a trash can. You have to make your fun w here you can find, I say.

Operation Christmas went well here last night. I had enough stew to feed an army. Our friend ate and ate, but then again, he always eats like that.
    We sent his daughter with mine to my daughter's room and I hauled out the gifts and grocery store card. I really thought he was going to cry. We got it all stowed in the back of his car and I sent them home with leftover stew and pumpkin bread. All is well. And I am full of the Christmas spirit. So I've vowed that next year, I am adopting a family and doing this again because if that's what it takes to get in the Christmas spirit, then I should do it and do it a lot. We've done that in the past, but haven't been able to lately and I was feeling slightly guilty that we hadn't done more this year, but I guess I was being told to wait for it as someone close to me needed it. I'm one of those crazy people that believes in signs, fate, things happen for a reason, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

prhoshay - I'm heartsick for that family of brothers and their friend. What an unspeakable tragedy.
    I can't believe Christmas eve is tomorrow. It has been so cold (single digits right now) that we're just hunkering down in layers of clothes, under electric blankets, etc. and nobody is going into the tv/Christmas tree room which is a converted unheated shed. Why the former owners chose to put the tv cable connection there is a mystery. I should really figure out a way to change it over to the little room off the kitchen. It wouldn't fit everyone to watch at once, but at least it would be warm. I've managed to misplace my older daughter's main present - a hefty sum of gift cards to Macy's I got when I paid off a credit card with a rewards points program I was never able to figure out. I know they are somewhere in that same room off the kitchen that I use to stash Christmas presents, but I can't find them. Argh!
    Count your blessings!

prhoshay, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of the brothers. When we hear of tragedies like this, we tend to count our blessings more.

Gut, I hope you find those gift cards!

MRD, Operation Christmas sounds like it was a blast! If I'd known pumpkin bread was on the menu, I would definitely been there!

+ Reply to Thread