+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

*groan* Day 3 of shovelling. *pops aspirin*
    Count your blessings!

We had snow, followed by rain yesterday, followed by freezing temps overnight. I went out yesterday morning to finish up my shopping and waded through streams of sandy slush downtown. I bet some of those parking lots are sheets of ridgy ice today. Our driveway certainly was. It's freezing today and should be again tomorrow, but Wednesday? 49 degree rain. Yuck.

MRD

We've had a houseguest for a week from Florida. He's up here working because he can't get work in Florida. Well none of us thought to tell him about having anti-freeze in his truck and this morning it was 20 degrees and while he got the truck to start, he got halfway to work when it quit. Now my husband and the guy our friend is working for are trying to check the truck out to see if the block got cracked by the freezing temps. If so, he won't be able to go home for Christmas. He's married and has 2 small kids and 3 step kids and he was working to be able to go home and have money for Christmas and be with his family and now we don't know what's going to happen. We're hoping that if worse comes to worst, we can at least get him a bus ticket home, but if not, I may have an unexpected guest Christmas.

On another note, we have a friend here who is trying to get custody of his 5 year old daughter because the mother is a drug addict. (She's the one that I had to have here on Thanksgiving if any of you remember that story). Anyway, she stole the grocery money and Christmas money from the child's father on Fri. He's tried to have her arrested, he's trying to get custody and the laws are not on his side and the police have told him that unless he has absolute proof that she took it, they can't do anything about it as it's a case of he said, she said.
    So, I am finally able to pay forward all the wonderful help we received 2 Christmases ago when my husband lost his job and so many people helped us.
    I have enlisted my 2 closest friends here and we are all headed out to Walmart and the Dollar Tree this afternoon to buy Disney Princess toys, stocking stuffers and a grocery store gift card so the little girl can have Santa on Christmas morning and they can afford to eat as he told my husband yesterday that they ate peanut butter and jelly all weekend as that's all they had.
    I have a big pot of stew in the crockpot and have invited them over to eat tonight so they can have a hot meal as it's COLD here.

So those of you that are praying people, please pray that our friend can get the help he needs to get full custody of his daughter and get the mother out of their lives. As it stands now, the child lives with him, but she has custody, so he can't deny her access to the child and to ensure the child's safety, he lets her in his house so the visits are supervised, but when he does, she steals from him. He had actually tapped the money in an envelope to the underside of his dresser drawer and she still found it. Some people just are not fit to be called humans, let alone parents.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You got it MRD. I'll tell my family to say a prayer for your friend and his daughter.
    Yup, with donuts!!

myrosiedog - Your friends situation reminds me so much of my son and his ex. I just got back from going to the police station with my son to file charges against his ex wife. When they had their income taxes done last year they were still married, although legally separated. Their refund was $1800 and they both agreed to split it down the middle. Well, she got the check in the mail, forged his name, cashed the check and spent the money. When he finally found out about it, she admitted doing it and said that she'd pay him back, but he never got a dime out of her. So he contacted the IRS. It took 3 different letters and 6 months to get a copy of the cancelled check with her signature on it and today he went and filed charges. The police told him that it will be up to the county attorney whether to press charges or not because he may consider this to be a civil matter. I said, since when is forgery not a crime? Not to mention the bank cashing a check when they don't know the person and never asked to see any identification. So we'll have to wait and see.

I wish your friend all the luck in the world. It's sounds like he's between a rock and a hard place. Bless you for helping him out so much during this time. I'm sure he will be thrilled that you are making sure that his daughter will get gifts for Christmas. It's really a wonderful thing to do.

MRD

We are back. I think i cleaned out The Dollar Tree. The little girl is into Disney Princesses and I bought everything with that on it the Dollar Tree had and that was a lot. I have enough to fill up 2 stockings with all the little goodies. We also have a Disney Princess dress up outfit-Cinderella, 2 Disney Princess dolls and clothes for them. A magic wand that lights up. A game, several books (is EVERYTHING in the world Disney Princesses???) A Disney Princess styling head (I find those kind of creepy, but I didn't buy it, my friend did) and a Disney Princess scooter. Oh and a princess horse for the dolls to ride on.
    I bought fake red Ariel hair and other Ariel the mermaid accouremonts and some Tinkerbell stuff. (I personally was very intrigued with the fake red Ariel wig-maybe she'll let me wear it. ) I think our friends daughter will be so happy as she is definetly a little princess herself and is in LOVE LOVE LOVE with Disney Princesses and we've done our part to help out the economy, Walmart and Disney and a little girl who's Mommy is a complete and utter sorry excuse for a human being.

I can't wait to deliver all this to the dad. He already told me on the phone that he can't believe that people that don't know him would do this. Well, this is what we do, we help each other.

My friends and I were on a mission in that toy department. But it was a lot of fun, we laughed like hyenas and it sure beat us going out to a fancy lunch like we had planned to do today. My one friend was chasing me with the styling head making creepy monster sounds through the toy department. I'm sure the other shoppers thought we had lost our minds! (Those things are just weird. My daughter has several for cosmotology school that are much more realistic than the Ariel head and those weird me out too. I call them the "severed heads") Instead of a fancy lunch we didn't need, we got to play Santa and now I get to wrap it all.

MRD

Lil Bit, seems like the bank would be held liable for cashing a check with no ID. I hope your son can get it straightened out and get his money. I hope the attorney presses charges.

It's not a fair world and it seems archaic that they stilll think the mother is the best parent and the father has to prove otherwise and has no rights.

But at least this child will wake up on Christmas morning and Santa will have been there.

I didn't post to get accolades. I truly am disgusted at what all this woman has done to him and to her daughter and to tell you how much fun we had shopping. I seriously have not had this much fun shopping at Christmas in a long while. THIS is what it's all about and back a couple weeks ago when I was griping about cutting back for Christmas and not being much in the spirit this year, well today has changed all that. I just wish I could be there to see her face when she sees that Santa has been there. They are coming here possibly for dinner on Christmas Day, I just hope she leaves the creepy head thing home.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3256375;
    I bought fake red Ariel hair and other Ariel the mermaid accouremonts and some Tinkerbell stuff. (I personally was very intrigued with the fake red Ariel wig-maybe she'll let me wear it.
    OK, I want pictures!!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. That little girl is going to be so happy. BTW, what time should I be over for the stew dinner tonight? I'll bring dessert!

MRD, that is a good case for "paying it forward", a concept I truly believe in. While they are in a sucky position, they have friends to help them through. I personally would worry about food more than presnets, but you're only a little one for such a short time! May you get what you truly want for Christmas this year. (If I knew what it was, I'd send it to you!)

MRD

Famita,
    We got them a grocery store gift card too and I'll give him that tonight when they (and Lois Lane) get here for dinner.
    We covered all the bases: food, gifts and the MOST important: stocking stuff from Santa. (My daughter thought the stockings on Christmas morning were the MOST important thing and so I have a soft spot about a kid having a full Christmas stocking).

I told him about paying it forward when I talked to him on the phone this morning getting the "wish list". I told him that people had helped us out and when he's more solvent, he can help someone else that needs it.

Now we have to get our other friend back to Florida so he can be with his family on Christmas.

ETA: I just realized that in less than 2 hours, we hit 3 stores and hauled in a Santa sized bag of stuff. Wow, look what 3 women can do on a mission.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-22-2008 at 05:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread