+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Myrosiedog - I think that's rain, sleet or gloom of night ... they left themselves a "snow-day loophole".
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3255541;
    Myrosiedog - I think that's rain, sleet or gloom of night ... they left themselves a "snow-day loophole".
    According to infoplease it does include snow.
    Post Office Motto — Infoplease.com

The Question:

I roughly recall that the motto of the U.S. Postal Service is in part, "Neither snow nor rain nor dark of night . . ." How does the rest go? Who wrote it? And where does it appear?
    The Answer:

Contrary to popular belief, the U.S. Postal Service has no "official motto."

The familar sentence you are thinking of is this:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

This is commonly misidentified as the creed of our mail carriers, but actually it is just the inscription found on the General Post Office in New York City at 8th Avenue and 33rd Street.

Here's how the official Web site of the U.S. Postal Service describes the origin of the inscription.

This inscription was supplied by William Mitchell Kendall of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, the architects who designed the New York General Post Office. Kendall said the sentence appears in the works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the Greeks against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity with which their work was done. Professor George H. Palmer of Harvard University supplied the translation, which he considered the most poetical of about seven translations from the Greek.

—The Editors

I still got my mail on Friday and with the wind, the snow felt like ice pellets driving into your skin. Not nice. I felt for my letter carrier, but she came through.

I opened my windows today to let some fresh air in and it's been soooo nice. Oh my goodness. I've been feeling like I haven't been getting enough O2 lately and the fresh air has helped immensely. Sorry about all you people living in the northern extremes. But in the summer when I'm complaining about the intense heat of south Texas you can brag about your mild summers.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255375;
    Oh and you can't buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk or carton of eggs when they tell us snow is expected. I still can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with the eggs, milk and bread when it snows, but
    I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the milk and the eggs but I do get bread if I think a storm might knock out our power so I can at least make sandwiches.
    CYA

They reported on the news that this year is the only year, since 1971,where every City in Canada will experience a White Christmas!! Meowza! Definitely a year to remember with all the blizzards and white stuff!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Just to let you all know I am taking a breather from the FORT and will see you all in the future. In the meantime have a happy holiday season.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'll miss you, my friend. Hope everything's ok.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3255676;
    I'll miss you, my friend. Hope everything's ok.
    All is fine, I just need a wee vacation. I'll be back.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Well what I don't understand is that everyone warns us we will lose power, so in a power outage, how do I cook the eggs or french toast?

My husband says to heck with stocking up on eggs and bread, he's going to be stuck at home with nothing to do, he's buying beer and doritos.

We'll miss you Gabriel. Hurry back.

Well here they have no snow removal equipment and with the hllls and all, they tell everyone to stay off the roads until the snow melts, so that's why they don't deliver mail either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread