+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6433Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

And why is this not in the recipe thread??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It's in the Thanksgiving thread.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I have a theory about the whole desserts/potluck thing. Because our work potlucks are mostly sweet stuff. My theory? Desserts are easier to do than savory dishes. More portable and easier to prepare. So I'm off to see my son's concert. They are doing Handel's Messiah.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

We used to perform Handel's Messiah when I was in high school. Always loved it! Good for them!!
    We got pretty good at it, to the point where when we did concerts throughout the year, the director would ask for requests at the end of the programs, and it was always the Hallelujah Chorus.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When I was in high school, our holiday concert always, always ended with the Hallelujah Chorus, sung by all the various singing groups and accompanied by the full orchestra. I was in the orchestra, and now whenever I hear the song, I can still hear our conductor yelling at us to watch our intonation on the octaves.

Do you remember the Simpsons episode where Grampa breaks the TV? When driving to the store to get a new one Bart, Lisa and Homer all shout "Yeah, we're getting a new TV!"

That's how I'm feeling today. We're not getting a new TV, but we'll have our satellite dish installed today. We moved three weeks ago, but today was the first day since we recieved the stuff that the guy who'll install it could come. So our three weeks of no TV is over. It's been nice not having to conform to the TV and the shows, but it's gotten quite boring. However, I hoped I will keep on and just watch the shows I'm interested in, not sitting hours in front of the TV watching stuff I don't really like or shows I've seen several times.

Now we just need our internet installed (we're lucky if we'll get it before Christmas) to feel civilised again. (Good thing the FoRT works at my office computer)

I've had satellite for however many years and, I have to admit it, I'm not that thrilled with it. Sometimes I say I wish I had cable, and my friends say, "No, you don't". I have been getting pretty annoyed at watching the actors lips say one thing, and the audio being slightly behind what they have voiced. I get annoyed at the storms knocking out the signal, which is the most common problem that I have noticed. I've been wanting to ask if anyone else was as disenchanted as I am with their satellite TV. I don't know what it's like for other people.

We still don't have school - the school bus company is in the area that doesn't have power back yet. We got our tv cable back yesterday. We had it briefly Sunday night. I went to a doctor's appointment in the nearest big city (an hour away) and the major highways still had downed trees you had to swerve around. Unbelievable. My daughter and I taught swimming lessons at the Y last night and of our 4 classes only 6 students total showed up. A lot of people are still living out of the area until they get power/heat back. One lady who did show up (with twins) said her husband's expensive coral reef fish tank was a victim to the power outage - every fish died. He is devastated. All those things you don't even think of. A local charity that had collected toys for Christmas had them all destroyed by flooding and no sump pump electricity. If we do have school this week I will let the kids tell their stories for as long as they need to in lieu of lessons. I'm learning how important it is for people to talk about their experiences in times like these.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Shay, we love our satellite. Hubby wants to switch back to cable and I keep saying no. my only problem with it is the programming. When we first got it there were tons of interesting shows. Now, it seems as if everyone has gone to sensational TV including the history channel. If we got rid of it, it would be because we have several hundred stations and there is never anything worth watching on any of them. But cable would be the same.
    I would ask your satellite company about the audio and visual problems. We never have that problem, but what we do have is that the tv in the family room and the tv in the bedroom are about a second off. If both tv's are on the same channel, you can hear the program on one before the other. But even so, the lips match. I'd call and ask why you're having that problem.

Gut, I hope they are able to get power back up and running in your area soon. I'm sure it's really difficult for everyone and letting your kids talk about it is probably a good thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've noticed a sound synchronization problem on regular broadcast television, so it may not be a satellite issue. I have satellite internet, and I am ambivalent about it. I had to brush snow off of the dish this morning, and it seems that any little storm disrupts the signal. It's fast when it works, but when it's down, it's useless.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread