+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6177Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Very cool misskitty! My ex cheated on me with and married a woman who was married to Carl Sagan's son. Woo hoo. We lost power again last night around 5 so I had to set my alarm every 2 hours during the night to keep the backup woodstove going. It got down to 7 degrees last night and I didn't want to deal with burst pipes. When it came on at 4:30 this morning I leapt out of bed and made coffee. You can see where my priorities lie. The heat is gradually moving about. That was the other thing I was going to recommend. If a power outage is imminent and you're planning to heat with wood, jack your thermostat up while you have electricity to get a head start.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter,I thought about you when I saw footage if the storm; that is what we usually get along with our half inch of snow (and the reason there are so many accidents when there is a storm here) Anyway, I'm glad you are gettihg warmed up--be safe! I'm thinking we are about due ine here as well. but in general, if it goes below freezing the humidity is too low for precop.
    Misskitty, what's 37 below in Farenheit? (besides "too damn cold") And, anyone, how is that converted anyway?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We still don't have tv cable so I just went tubing for news. Check it out - search New England Ice Storm or MA ice storm. You'll see what things look like in my neck of the woods. I got smart today. Made coffee, took a shower, ran a load of laundry and am about to run the dishwasher. We may not have school until after the new year. The part of town with the high school and middle school and one of the 3 elementary schools hasn't had power yet and may not any time soon. A lot of people have left town looking for shelter if they don't have wood heat.
    Count your blessings!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3246814;
    I was reading Dear Margo this morning and one person asked, "when did it become socially acceptable for adult men and women to chew gum with their mouths open and constantly "crack" their gum?" ...
    you will never catch me without gum, but at least i chew it with my mouth shut and ONLY snap when i'm by myself LOL

I also always have gum - but you would never know it. It's not rocket science - some people are just clueless and rude.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3251001;
    ...what's 37 below in Farenheit? (besides "too damn cold") And, anyone, how is that converted anyway?
    I don't have time to go checking properly (I'm cooking dinner right now), but Fahrenheit and Celsius converge at -40. So too damn cold is right - it is very close to -40 F.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3251006;
    We still don't have tv cable so I just went tubing for news. Check it out - search New England Ice Storm or MA ice storm. You'll see what things look like in my neck of the woods. I got smart today. Made coffee, took a shower, ran a load of laundry and am about to run the dishwasher. We may not have school until after the new year. The part of town with the high school and middle school and one of the 3 elementary schools hasn't had power yet and may not any time soon. A lot of people have left town looking for shelter if they don't have wood heat.
    I feel for you Gutmutter. When we had our ice storm 2 years ago we were out of power for 5 days. The wood stove kept our pipes from freezing but it really doesn't heat our house very well. We live in the city so we did have hot water as it's heated by gas. We cooked on our wood stove. That was certainly an adventure and one my husband was in charge of. He has a lot more experience with camping. His family growing up heated mostly with a wood stove. We cooked roasts, soups, and I think we "baked" potatoes. It was sort of like camping. It was terrible to try to read by the led book light I bought! We had candles going everywhere. They don't really give off enough light. I hope those around you get their power back soon. Some people here didn't have it for 3 weeks. People without wood stoves had to worry about their pipes bursting on top of no electricity. A lot of people stayed in hotels that had back-up generators. Those on wells had no water since the pumps are run by electricity. If you know friends that need to run water (if they are able) to keep their pipes from freezing make sure they know it needs to be about pencil size, not just a dripping faucet. A drip apparently is not enough.

My MIL said that the pictures she saw of the stuff up your way reminded her of what happened here. Branches were cracking and falling off all over the place. Power lines were snapping and falling down. Trees fell over. It was the most eery sounds I've ever heard.

Bunny: His initials are O.N.R. Lewis. He was called by his middle name.

queenb: Yes, -40C and -40F are pretty much too darn FREEZING COLD!!

pretty Xmas tree.jpg
    It's been as cold today too. But it's pretty out. Managed to get to the garage, open the doors, and start the car. She ran good for 5 minutes, then I shut her and the doors down. The wind was blowing all the exhaust into the garage and I couldn't breathe. She's plugged in so I'll just start her up tomorrow and hope she starts. Brrrrr.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3251001;
    And, anyone, how is that converted anyway?
    ever since I've been addicted to a member of FORT I've had this bookmarked to keep up with the temperature of our Canadian members.

Online Conversion - Temperature Conversion

Aww. That's great Unk. Don't ya know there's cold, damn cold, and zip up your jacket...

+ Reply to Thread