+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I also had basement flooding, and no power to the sump pump. It's going now, but I'll have to go down at some point and use the push broom to send water toward it (the floor's uneven). I just got a call from a friend in a different part of town who still doesn't have electricity and wanted to come take a shower.
    Count your blessings!

I feel for you Gutmutter. We never realize how much we have come to depend on electricity/gas until it's suddenly not there. It's like the world just comes to a complete halt.

I got a emergency prepardness bug a couple years ago and bought a kerosene heater that could heat pretty much the whole house if we need it. Luckily it's never been out of the box. And 2 huge cans of kersene that haven't been used either. That whole setup cost me about 200$ back then, the cost would probably be doubled now.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I didn't even try to go to the dump today. It is in the next town north of us that got hit the hardest.
    Count your blessings!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3250703;
    I also had basement flooding, and no power to the sump pump.
    This happened to my mother and she had no electricity for 5 days! We had bought a generator for my parents a while ago and that expensive thing paid for itself that week! All the stores were sold out of it during that emergency so we let her neighbors use it, too. I think everyone on her block ended up buying one later since that area is susceptible to power outages.

My mom (who has AT&T) couldn't use her phones 'cause they're all connected to an electrical line (the answering machine portion). But she has one phone that is connected direclty to the wall jack--and that's the phone she used when the electricity went out. And her cell phone.

Same here - the remotes that use a base plugged into a socket didn't work, but we have one that connects right into a phone jack that worked. My daughter's new cell phone came with a charger that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter. That came in handy too. And FYI none of the gas stations could sell gas. Fill up that tank if there's a chance your town will lose electricity.
    Count your blessings!

Yikes Gut thanks!
    I was thinking we should get into the habit of trying to keep our tank full, that's another good reason to do so.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3250742;
    Fill up that tank if there's a chance your town will lose electricity.
    That's a great reminder! I try not to let our car get below half empty. The winters are so bad out here that I don't ever want troubles with running out of gas. And this is just being extra cautionery but I also keep a big Tupperware-like container in the back of my car with jumper cables, crackers, bottled water, blanket, ski gloves etc. JUST in case we get stranded somewhere. The food is probably stale but hell, if I'm starving, I'll gladly eat stale crackers! I also carry matches (the kind for camping that are water resistant), just in case I need to thaw stuff out.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3250742;
    Same here - the remotes that use a base plugged into a socket didn't work, but we have one that connects right into a phone jack that worked. My daughter's new cell phone came with a charger that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter. That came in handy too. And FYI none of the gas stations could sell gas. Fill up that tank if there's a chance your town will lose electricity.
    Having lived in Florida, we knew about the gas thing. You also can't use ATM's when the power is out. So go to the bank when you get gas.

Having a generator and emergency supplies was a must in Florida as well.

I have not experienced an ice storm yet (they do have them occasionally here) so I don't know which is worse, but let me tell you that no electricity in Florida in August when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity is practically unbearable.

Lois, Hurley on LOST ate 15 year old crackers last season, so yours are probably ok.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Sorry for any delay. You were waiting for moi?

I had to go out shopping with twin sinister. It's -37C with a windchill...bloody freezing out there! I forgot to plug in my car in the garage, but I'm not going back out THERE until tomorrow. BRRRRRR.

With regards to emergency preparedness, the only thing I'm prepared for is that I have a lot of fence boards I can burn in my fireplace if necessary for heat, and several cans of tuna (with can opener) in case the kitts get hungry!
    -----------------

Now, what was I supposed to get back to you on...hm...oh, um. Yeah. Cheech and Chong. And the ex-boyfriend.

Well, let me give you a bit of history courtesy of Wikipedia.

"Chong was born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the son of Lorna Jean (born Gilchrist), a waitress, and Stanley Chong, a truck driver. Chong's father was of Chinese descent and his mother was of Scots-Irish ancestry. Chong graduated from Victoria Composite High School, a school now recognized in Edmonton as a major performing and visual arts K-12 IB school."

Note: I graduated from Victoria Composite High School...the same school as Tommy Chong! And my Dad graduated from there too! It's now actually called the Victoria School of the Arts and one is privileged to apply and be chosen to continue their education there.

Wikipedia continues: " When Chong was still young, the family moved to Calgary, Alberta, to a neighbourhood Chong refers to as the Dog Patch. He says that his father had "been wounded in World War II, and there was a veterans' hospital in Calgary. He bought a five-hundred dollar house in Dog Patch, and raised his family on fifty dollars a week". He later went on to graduate from Victoria School back in Edmonton, Alberta."

Note: My sweetie lives in the Dog Patch! And I have been in that veteran's hospital too!

Wik continues: Chong was married to his first wife, Maxine Sneed from 1960 until their divorce in 1970. Their children were Rae Dawn Chong and Robbi Chong. He married his second wife Shelby in 1975. He has two children with her, sons Paris and Gilbran, and a daughter, Precious Chong. Maxine Sneed's brother, Floyd Sneed, is the original drummer for Three Dog Night. (But I digress...)

Both Robbi and Rae Dawn have pursued careers in acting. Although not widely recognized or active in the Asian Canadian community, Chong is certainly one of the most famous Asian Canadian hippies, and among the most famous Asian Canadian comics of all time. In the late 1980's, Chong became a naturalized citizen of the United States."

Now, here's where I put it all together. Tommy Chong's first wife, Maxine Sneed was born Maxine Lewis (and was African American). Maxine's brother, Rae Lewis, is my ex-boyfriends' Father. So my ex, ONR Lewis, is first cousins with Rae Dawn Chong and Robbi Chong. Which also makes Maxine Lewis/Sneed/Chong his Aunt! And therefore, Tommy Chong his Uncle! Which makes my ex, Tommy Chongs' nephew. My ex, ONR Lewis, is African American decent on his father's side, and Japanese on his mother's side.

When I was first dating ONR Lewis, there was a sudden, very sad, death in the family. Aunt Maxine Chong travelled to Edmonton with two of her children; one of who was Precious Chong, to pay their respects at the funeral. I met them at the memorial dinner. Unfortunately, neither Tommy Chong or Rae Dawn Chong were available to visit at that time. My ex, ONR Lewis, did go to Los Angeles on business a couple years later, and visited with his Aunt Maxine Chong and cousins Rae Dawn and Precious.

His cousin Rae Dawn Chong, as many will remember had quite a tumultuous life in L.A., partying, travelling, and was not really focussed. She finally took acting seriously, and ended up in many successful roles, including the tv serious Mysterious Ways (which also starred Adrian Pasdar, now of Heroes fame as Nathan Petrelli, who is married to Dixie Chicks, Natalie Mains.)

Interesting as well, that my ex, ONR Lewis didn't go to Victoria Composite High School. He went to Ross Shephard. I could have gone to Ross Shephard or Vic Comp because of where we lived at the time. My ex always said if he knew me in high school we would have been a couple and married long ago. I always said I would have been scared to have known him in high school. We didn't really run with the same crowd. Not back then and as I found out later, not when we were dating either.

OMGosh. I just found out that my ex is part Cherokee. (Wikipedia states that his Aunt Maxine was part Cherokee and African American.) Hmm. Didn't know that. I wonder if he knows?! He would be entitled to hunting and fishing Rights as a part Native Indian.

Ah, boys and girls, that's all for today. Good luck and good night!
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-13-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Ok, I have a question. It may be a stupid one as it's late but I'll just ask it. I get that ONR is the guy you dated but is that his name, like a weird spelling of owner or is it all in caps because it's his initials?
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread