+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I so glad to hear that Zac is making progress and happy to hear that his spirits are up. Although that doesn't surprise me after hearing your stories about him. He sounds like an exceptionally brave and mature little boy and he is (and you too, Unk) an inspiration to me. I think we can all learn a lesson from Zac and especially during the holiday season, it helps to point out what is really important in our lives. I wish him continued good luck with his treatments.

MRD

Unk,
    I'm glad to hear that Zac is making progress and doing well. I think that's so special that you gave him your ornaments. When we put up our tree this year, I was telling my daughter: these will all be yours one day. Most of ours were either made by special people or given to us, so I know all the stories behind them and have most of it written down and dated. (I used to be really anal about stuff).

On a related not: I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. Let me repeat that: NEVER
    buy a pre-lit tree again. We bought one about 4 years ago. It's 3 feet tall. The lights worked really well the first year. Last year we had to cut the lights off the top section and replace them as they quit working. This year, we cut the lights off the bottom section as they quit working. I might as well have just bought a regular tree and put the damn lights on it every year. When I say we cut them off, we had to cut them off as they were wired to the stupid tree.

Going back to the drinking conversation. I used to be a fairly regular drinker. But these days, I'm more of a social drinker. I rarely drink at home unless we have company. The Irish coffee I had on Mon., is probably the first drink I've had in 2 weeks.
    I like to talk about drinking a lot more than I actually like drinking anymore. I used to not get hangovers. But now, oh boy, I get them and even when I've not had much to drink. It's just so not worth it now to get wasted. But I do enjoy the taste of a good beer every so often. Nothing compares to just tipping back a cold one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned that hangovers can be pretty much avoided by drinking high quality stuff, but high quality "stuff" comes with high quality price$! Also, on an everyday basis, I drink a lot of water, and that probably helps, too.

All of this drinking talk is making me dizzy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Unk, I'm praying for Zac to have a "feel well" Christmas. You're such a wonderful grandfather and have done so much to lift his spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3245785;
    Unk,
    I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. Let me repeat that: NEVER
    buy a pre-lit tree again. We bought one about 4 years ago. It's 3 feet tall. The lights worked really well the first year. Last year we had to cut the lights off the top section and replace them as they quit working. This year, we cut the lights off the bottom section as they quit working. I might as well have just bought a regular tree and put the damn lights on it every year. When I say we cut them off, we had to cut them off as they were wired to the stupid tree.
    I'm with you on that one. My pre-lit tree started acting up last year. I thought it was the kind if one bulb went out the rest would stay lit but apparently not. Strands would go out at a time and I couldn't ever pinpoint which one was bad. Then if I got a strand relit, another would go out. I even changed the fuses. So when all the mini LED's (which are cool burning and save energy) went on sale after Christmas I bought boxes and boxes of white and colored ones. My pre-lit tree was white bulbs. But this year I put up the colored strands and they look really nice. I thought of cutting the old ones off like you did but figured it would be too much trouble and you can't even see them with the colored ones on. I might use the white ones I bought for decorating the banister outside or maybe just switch between color and white each year. I'm hoping to get some new ornaments this year when everything is 50-75% off.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3245837;
    I learned that hangovers can be pretty much avoided by drinking high quality stuff, but high quality "stuff" comes with high quality price$! Also, on an everyday basis, I drink a lot of water, and that probably helps, too.

Well in my case, I wouldn't drink as much, so I wouldn't have the hangover as my wallet would only be able to afford a few of the high priced drinks.

(I normally do drink name brands except at parties when they go cheap)

I remember in college, we would buy one six-pack of "good beer" and 3 six packs of 99 cents a 6-pack beer. (just me and my roommate) and by the time we had had 3 good beers, we didn't care about the really nasty beer after that.

Archie, I'm sorry you had the same problem, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't crazy about the pre-lit trees. And finding a non-prelit tree anymore? Almost like finding Bigfoot. Almost impossible.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3245158;
    When I was in college, there were several occasions where I blacked out. I was a social binge drinker and I'm lucky I didn't kill myself with it. Anyway, my mind would check out while my body was still up and active. My friends would tell me the next day about some of the things I'd done and most of the time it was pretty embarrassing. I'm thankful now that it was never anything *too* serious. Anyway, blackouts really do happen, but it normally involves the type of binge drinking that college kids do (think dozens of shots in a row or beer bongs).

ETA: And you're right, Closetnerd. Those sorts of bouts are normally followed by TERRIBLE hangovers.
    Ditto here. Sounds exactly like me in college and then right after my divorce. I was married right out of college and spent 7 years with a horrible man so I was ready to party again. It really is a miracle I didn't kill myself with it as well. And to those that say they don't black out - be thankful. It really is not a good feeling to not know what was done, said, anything.

Tequila (specifically Patron) is my vice. I am not "allowed" to drink it anymore.

Unk, thanks for the update on Zak. I think it is probably one of the neatest things to keep your hair in line with his length. I hope you all can enjoy the holiday season.

As much fun as I had drinking, the best times on New Year's Eve were when my friend Anna and I would play cards/games and drink our Mountain Dew, and laugh at the drunks who would stop by. They all thought we were blitzed, and we thought they were funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3245645;
    I spent the day with Zac today. We didn't get to go out as his white blood counts were real low after his bout with the cold last week. I took over some lights and more decorations that his step mom put up in his room. I gave him some of my ornaments and told him he had to put them on his tree for me since I didn't put one up. I also got his step mom to cut my hair even closer to the scalp as Zac's is almost all gone. We used the clippers with no guard, bare blade as they call it. I'm as close as you can get without actually using a razor. That will be in a couple of weeks.
    I guess Zac still has three phases of chemo left. I misunderstood his dad last week. Still, he's making progress and that's what counts. His spirits are great. Thanks again to all of you for well wishes.
    Unk,
    I am also glad to hear that Zac is in good spirits. It sounds like you had a great day with him. It is nice that he is decorating for the holidays, and so sweet that he gets to have your ornaments on his tree! I also think it is really cool that you have been keeping your hair matched up to his. That kind if camaraderie must make Zac feel very loved!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3245837;

Unfortunately, this isn't true. At least not for me. In my partying days I was quite the label snob, and only drank Belvedere and Grey Goose vodkas. I still had horrible hangovers. I just paid more for them.

Bartenders hated me. If the bar did not serve Miller High Life, I would only drink Bloody Marys ,but after a few years I switched to 7 & 7.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread