+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    The price might depend on if there is a home football game that weekend . . . I've run into that when I've had dog shows the same weekend as the local college team has a home game.
    I'm sure you're right. It just strikes me odd that they don't even give a clue as to the cost.

I didn't know that you do dog shows.
    We stayed in a motel in Birmingham, AL once when we were there for a craft show. There was also a dog show in town. We were walking around at the motel and it seemed like half of the people had their dogs outside, drinking from the ice bucket.
    As much as I love dogs, I have felt compelled to take my own ice bucket with me, since that day.

Mudah what craft show was it? Have you heard of Homestead Hollow in Springville AL? Its the weekend of 10/6.

About the hotel rooms. Last year to go to Gatilnburg I visited all the websites, Orbitz, priceline, ect.. Ended up in Sevierville in a hotel that was priced the same as the ones in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I was very disapointed.

I can't remember the name of the show, but it was held at the Civic Center, or whatever that big convention type building is, right down town. I think they had it, Spring and Fall, for years. It runs about three or four Loooong days. May still have it for all I know. I only did it once.

I usually find a hotel that I think is close to my destination. Then I mapquest it and check the distance. If it's reasonable distance, that's my choice. We prefer Hampton or Comfort Inn motels. If we want a B&B I check out bb on line. I've found some great places through them.

Do you like cabins? There are some really cozy log cabins at Pittman Center, which is about three or four miles from downtown Gatlinburg. They are petty secluded though. Not close enough to walk to any sights but the Little Pigeon River is right across the road and they trout fish there. Also, I know of a nice chalet a few blocks from downtown, but the road up to it is not for the faint of heart.

Mudah You must be talking about Christmas Village! We do still have that here in Birmingham. I used to go every year, but the last few have been really crowded and I didn't really see anything that I wanted. I'll probably skip it this year.

We travel a lot and I've actually gotten some really good hotel rates by looking at various travel websites and then calling the hotel directly to make reservations. Most of the time, if you tell whoever answers the phone that you saw a "special rate" on the internet, they won't even bother to look it up - they will just give it to you. Good Luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

You're right, it WAS Christmas Village. Was the one in the spring also called that? As I said, I only went that one time. It's a terribly hard show to do. Setup and tear down is a nightmare and the long hours have you sleepwalking.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I didn't know that you do dog shows.
    I'm not actively showing right now, although I do go to a couple of shows a year to visit with friends. Our local show is consistently one of the top 10 or 20 nationally every year, and I go to Nebraska for a Newf Specialty every fall. I won't show again until I get another puppy, which probably will not be until my boys go to the rainbow bridge.
    We stayed in a motel in Birmingham, AL once when we were there for a craft show. There was also a dog show in town. We were walking around at the motel and it seemed like half of the people had their dogs outside, drinking from the ice bucket.
    As much as I love dogs, I have felt compelled to take my own ice bucket with me, since that day.
    As you probably know, Newfs drool, and it is proper etiquette to take a drool rag into the ring. I once saw a handler wipe his dog's mouth and then his forehead with the same rag That's hard-core!
    I'm sure you're right.
    This may be the first time in my life that a woman has said that I'm right about anything!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Hey Mudah -
    Did you make it up to Mackinaw yet? Just wondering. I was walking around up there 2 weeks ago and you crossed my mind. I sure do enjoy that little island.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I'm not actively showing right now, although I do go to a couple of shows a year to visit with friends. Our local show is consistently one of the top 10 or 20 nationally every year, and I go to Nebraska for a Newf Specialty every fall.
    Where in Nebraska? I love dog shows but haven't been to one in awhile. My pastor has a Newf. His wife walks him regularly, but when they first moved to town she was out walking him and someone called the police and told them that someone was walking a bear in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    Hey Mudah -
    Did you make it up to Mackinaw yet? Just wondering. I was walking around up there 2 weeks ago and you crossed my mind. I sure do enjoy that little island.
    No, darn it, I don't guess I'll make it this year. My plans are pretty much shot since I have th little kid to help raise. I did get to go to my favorite place Oklahoma a few weeks ago, though.

Next time you're walking aroud there, go to The Brigadoon, one block off Central, on Langlade. Tell Sherree that you "know" me. She will give you a tour of the place if it isn't full. Just don't tell her where you know me from. I try to keep it a secret among my friends.

Isn't the big sidewalk sale coming up in Mackinaw City? I would love to go to that one store, Mackinaw Trading? I found dozens of things there that I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Where in Nebraska? I love dog shows but haven't been to one in awhile. My pastor has a Newf. His wife walks him regularly, but when they first moved to town she was out walking him and someone called the police and told them that someone was walking a bear in the neighborhood.
    I'll be in Lincoln the first weekend of October. The Heart of America Newfoundland Club is hosting a Regional Specialty on Oct 6, and there are all-breed shows on the 7th and 8th. The judging programs will be online in about a week--let me know if you want more info!

about walking a bear. When my younger boy was a "teenager," I think that it would have been easier to walk a grumpy grizzly than Gustav.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread