+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3238799;
    I've finally got Mr. Rattus on board - no gifts, no decorations. We will have our traditional walk/movies/nachos day, but that's as far as I'm willing to go anymore. And for the first time ever, I am looking forward to Christmas.
    We might put up our fake tree a couple weeks before Christmas -- depending on how hectic the end of the contract/school year turns out to be. DH and I took a cue from my mom and dad, and decided not to do gifts to each other this year, since it seems silly to get each other stuff we don't have room for or really need, just for the sake of getting stuff. We'll send the usual yummy baskets to my family in the midwest, but for us, our present to each other will be a weekend getaway somewhere. (My mom was telling me that that's what she and dad do, and DH and I thought that was a really cool idea.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I don't really celebrate holidays so no decorations for me, of any kind.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'm living alone (for the first time ever) and will be going to my son and daughter-in-law's for Christmas dinner; haven't decided about decorating. I probably will, otherwise my sister will yell at me and tell me to get my head out of ... well, somewhere it doesn't belong. And I'd have to agree with her, so I guess I'll decorate. Man, she nags me even when she doesn't know she's doing it! My family tradition has always been to put up the tree the weekend closest to the 11th of December, so I'll probably decorate that Saturday.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Okay - let me just put this out there for opinions... I was going to host Thanksgiving for my in-laws up until three weeks ago. I went to my surgeon for x-rays and a follow up appointment from my spinal fusion surgery in August. At that appt, I was told that one of the fusions came out, and I had to have surgery AGAIN the following Monday. Yes, I had to do the whole thing AGAIN. Anyway, had the second spinal fusion (third if you count neck surgery earlier this year) two weeks ago and all of a sudden, the in-laws are assuming they can still come over. Ummm..... I'm not sure how I feel about that as I am pretty much still on bed rest to allow this fusion to take. They say they are going to bring everything over (Mr and I cook every year) and we don't have to worry about anything. Problem is, I'm not sure how I feel about everyone coming over for the holiday as I am laying in bed. I know that I will just be tempted to get up and help with preparations, etc. and that is the absolute LAST thing I should do at this point. Not to mention the vanity part - what if I don't feel like putting on make-up or being friendly??

MRD

Margaritaville, let them do it and if you don't feel like getting out of bed or putting on makeup, then don't. You have a VERY good excuse. But if they want to cook and clean it up, let them. And don't you feel the need to get in there and help. Let them pamper you. Or if you really don't feel like it tell them that maybe they can plan on coming some weekend in Jan. and you all doing a special "Thanksgiving" when you are feeling better. THen it can be a celebration of thanks for the surgery being successful.

As for Christmas, I can attest that you don't have to spend bundles of money to have a nice holiday. Some of the nicer and most meaningful Christmases we've had were when we were dead broke. I can still remember the gifts we made for each other those years more than I can remember what was bought for me last year.

I am a firm believer that the traditions of Christmas: family, friends, decorations, making cookies, cards, and handmade decorations, etc. are what makes the holiday fun and not the massive overspending. I scrapbook and when I look at my photo albums of Christmas, the photos are of us putting up the tree, making cookies, getting together with loved ones and not piles of gifts. To me the whole season is special because we can celebrate love, the birth of Christ and a special time of year when everything seems touched by magic and the house looks festive and happy and the sounds and smells are wonderful.
    I love Christmas. I love everything about it (but the massive overspending). But if you don't do that, you can still enjoy a fabulous holiday season that is special. It's my favorite time of the year and I love to do things to make others feel special and loved and most of it doesn't cost me a lot. I hand make all my own cards and they are always treasured by my friends (who have told me that those are the only ones they hang on to). I bake for my family and special friends and that brings me a lot of joy. I love to look at lights and hear carols (after Thanksgiving, if you please) and see the little kids getting all excited over Santa.
    I just absolutely refuse to be a scrooge about it and know that it can be meaningful and special and it doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, it's more special and meaningful if you don't spend money. Yes Christmas has been over commercialized, but it's also in danger of becoming a holiday that you must feel guilty about if you do want to decorate and bake and do all the traditions.

Give me Christmas and let me enjoy it. I look forward to it all year.

And for the record, we usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. This house has absolutely no outdoor outlets, so I don't know what we're going to do this year here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm in the same boat health-wise, I can barely walk from room to room. We usually have a house full of friends over for Thanksgiving but I just can't do it this year, so it'll be just the kids and I. I'm really looking forward to that, as we can eat what we want, when we want and just have a relaxed day. I agree with letting the in-laws come over and do everything if they want to. They might not stay too long since they know you're not feeling well and you'll get a good meal out of it.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3238878;
    ... but for us, our present to each other will be a weekend getaway somewhere. (My mom was telling me that that's what she and dad do, and DH and I thought that was a really cool idea.)
    To my mind that's a much better option than unnecessary and only semi-wanted items that will almost inevitably end up a Goodwill and thenceforth in a landfill.

I am reserving the right to celebrate birthdays, however, as they are individual and specific to the person involved. Plus Mr. Rattus did really well in the gift department this year. We had been out wandering early in the Spring when I spotted a gorgeous silk scarf that made me say "yikes!" when spotted the price tag (I assume that $100 is a lot of money for a scarf for people other than me?). Anyway, on my birthday I opened the disappointing can opener box only to find that scarf. But it's not the scarf itself that made me so happy, it's the fact that Mr. Rattus, for the first time in the 25 years I've known him, took note of something I loved and managed to procure it for me. For that reason, I will eventually be buried in that scarf.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Margaritaville, I think you should ask them to postpone. As long as there aren't relatives coming in from out of town, what's the big deal? Have another weekend be makeup Thanksgiving or something. You don't want another surgery... and they should understand. I personally think it's a bit rude to assume that you will still host the party at your house when you're not supposed to even get out of bed. But maybe they just don't understand the severity of the situation? And even though they're cooking and cleaning up, you can't be expected to just lay in bed when your house is full of people. That's insane.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3238999;
    Margaritaville, I think you should ask them to postpone. As long as there aren't relatives coming in from out of town, what's the big deal? Have another weekend be makeup Thanksgiving or something. You don't want another surgery... and they should understand. I personally think it's a bit rude to assume that you will still host the party at your house when you're not supposed to even get out of bed. But maybe they just don't understand the severity of the situation? And even though they're cooking and cleaning up, you can't be expected to just lay in bed when your house is full of people. That's insane.
    Thank you!! That is the part that bugs me more than anything - so presumptuous! I guess it's on though as my brother in law is spending his first Thanksgiving with his kids as a divorced dad. Mr. M said he sounded so excited about having the holiday with the kids and he loves to cook.... so he caved. DH had no problem telling his mom it was off - but then brother-in-law called and ..... you all know where this is going ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3238984;
    Anyway, on my birthday I opened the disappointing can opener box only to find that scarf. But it's not the scarf itself that made me so happy, it's the fact that Mr. Rattus, for the first time in the 25 years I've known him, took note of something I loved and managed to procure it for me. For that reason, I will eventually be buried in that scarf.
    I LOVE this! How funny that he wrapped the scarf in a can opener box!

Mr. Doxie and I have agreed for the past several years not to do Christmas gifts for each other. This year (Dec. 28th) will be our first wedding anniversary though, so we've decided to celebrate that with a weekend away after the first of the year. We may go back to Chattanooga where we spent our 48 hour honeymoon last year because we LOVED the civil-war era hotel where we stayed and we also had the best sandwich that we've ever eaten there.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread