+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

The reason for it as far as restaurants are concerned is in case a tip is added. When the card is first presented and entered into the terminal only the amount for the meal without tip is entered. The financial institution will put a hold on another 2O to 25% in case a tip is written in by the customer. Usually the tip amount isn't adjusted until the end of the shift or even the end of the business day when the batch is transmitted.
    Hotels will put a hold on a certain dollar amount which will include the base amount of the room along with any incidentals such as phone calls, room charges for meals, etc. I believe they use a percentage of what the average stay is above the room charge but I'm not for sure.
    Sorry if it seemed I was yelling at you Brandy, but I wasn't upset with you. I am also a consumer and this affects me as well. It just happens to be one of my pet peeves.

Premium Member
    This has happened to me too. We went out for dinner and our bill was around $18. I paid with my debit card and the next day when I was looking at my checking account online I noticed the charge was for 20% more than the bill. I had heard about this happening which was why I never add a tip to my debit card, always leave cash. I called my bank first, and they said to check with the restaurant but also to let them know if the amount was not right in a few days. I did call the restaurant and they said that was their policy (so in this case it was the restaurant adding the charge) but that the charge would be dropped within 2-3 days, and it was. I didn't really cause me any trouble, but now I have stopped using the debit card for that reason.

I really wouldn't like anyone deciding how to use my money, and when. As far as I know, I've never had this happen, but really how would I know? I never check my balance on line so it could get right by me without my knowledge. I seldom use th debit thing but I do use my charge card fairly often. I need to ask my bank if this is common procedure here. Don't want anyone's hand in my pocket.

Wow, I use my debit card all the time and everywhere. I've never paid attention before to see if this is happening but I sure will now.

Premium Member
    I would have never known if I hadn't been checking my account. We don't usually go anywhere too expensive, but it still makes me uneasy enough that I don't pay with the debit card anymore.

I'm still operating in the dark ages so I don't use a debit card, but I know many who do. Does this hold policy happen in Canada too? Any Canucks experienced this?

Newfherder:
    ..Any more, a moon is more likely
    Your butt is really cute, even if it is red. Tee Hee Hee
    Last edited by misskitty; 09-16-2006 at 02:50 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    It just happens to be one of my pet peeves.

I don't blame you Unk - in saying "the restaurant" I was guessing that whatever credit card processing company is used actually has a standard hold amount.

I bet you're sick of that question and I can't blame you!!

In cases when I don't use cash, it's just easier to use my credit card and then pay it off - I have enough credit available it shouldn't matter. When we were first married though, that wouldn't have cut it

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Newfherder:
    Your butt is really cute, even if it is red. Tee Hee Hee
    It's red because I'm only two generations removed from baboons. It makes for interesting family gatherings.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    It's red because I'm only two generations removed from baboons. It makes for interesting family gatherings.
    And affordable, too, I'll bet. Just throw in a bucket of fleas and that's your entertainment, refreshments and everythig needed for a successful get together.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    About the holding fee...what I resent the most about it is that you are not informed about it, beforehand. If you find out about it, it's usually by happenstance. There is just something blatantly wrong about that, not matter who is behind it. It's very insulting. What's wrong with letting people know what is going on with their money?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread