+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6247Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I wonder if it would be a good idea to contact the school personnel yourself since no one else seems to be interested in doing so. Maybe this is a cry for help. I can't get over the fact that she took him to a funeral because of his obsession. She needs to get help too, in my opinion. Or at least take parenting classes. It just rings odd to me. Doesn't it make you wonder what else is going on in the home?

It sounds to me like you've done all you can. Your comment about the hands off society that we now live in reminds me of what a friend of mine said once. He has been a school bus driver for more than 30 years and he said the thing that makes him sad now is that it used to be, if a little girl on his bus fell and scraped her knee, he could set her in his lap, hug her and comfort her. Now he isn't comfortable doing that, afraid that someone may take it the wrong way and see him as a predator.

MRD

Most kids at one time or another get curious about fire. What worries me is that he could get hold of matches or a lighter and start playing with it and start a fire. It happens. More often than we care to think about.
    And with the latest craze in candles (they are EVERYWHERE), it's not unreasonable to think his mom probably has a few, and thus a means of lighting them.

I would be concerned. Is there anyway to talk to his regular teacher at school, shay?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's an interesting addition to my 6 year old's story. Today, while browsing the newspaper, I find out that his dad died this past Sunday. Good grief. I talked to his mother last Thursday, and he hasn't come to the center since last Friday, I think. This is all so very sad. I don't think anyone at the center knows since no one has made mention of it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Was his Fathe ill? Or was it sudden? My first thought, reading at the start, that someone close to him had died or was dying.
    So this really fits. His brain was trying to figure this all out. Maybe he was "feeling" his Father's death coming.
    Poor boy - poor Mom. My prayers are with him!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've really thought and thought about this, and my theory (and that is all that it is) is that his dad has been very sick and that Mom has trying to prepare him for what was going to happen. Dad was 33 years old; the death was not a newsworthy one, like violence or car crash or anything like that (and I also don't think it was sudden, either.) I think this little boy probably processed what was going on in his 6 year old mind in a way that somebody that age might. I also theorize that Mom was probably doing the best she could, considering what was going on. Her seeming "aloofness" may have been her just doing her best to be able to put one foot in front of the other everyday, and still be able to carry on everyday life and take care of her family the best that she could. Who knows how long they may have been fighting through this battle?

Anyway, that's my theory. I lost my mother when I was a grown and experienced adult, and it was one of the worst things I can ever remember happening...but I had lived long enough to develop some coping skills that you learn as you go through life. This baby hasn't had the advantage of my years, and will have a lot to deal with over the years as he comes to different stages in his life. Boys really need their fathers; he and his mom are going to have quite a road to travel. My heart is hurting for them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, this seems to make a little more sense. But I still think that boy would benefit from some counseling. It's not easy to lose a parent at such a young age - especially if it was an illness and the boy saw his father getting sicker and sicker. That's hard enough for an adult to handle, let along a little boy. My heart goes out to him.

Poor little guy. I hope he is able to get some counseling with someone experienced in child psychology. When my daughter was 6 my husband was seriously injured in an accident and she had some real issues about it that really surprised me at the time. I was busy dealing with the problems in my own way and didn't even think about how it was affecting her until she started having problems sleeping and then problems in school. Luckily, he recovered quickly, and she was able to see an excellent counselor at her school. Plus, her teacher was very understanding and helped us immensely. I hope the boy can get the help he needs.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Maybe a children's support group. Being with other kids that are going through the same grief and issues could be very helpful.

MRD

Shay, I have a friend who died of cancer when his son was 5. He was very sick for 3 years. For most of that time, the mother had the child going to a child psychologist and he continued to go after that for a while and it was very, very, very beneficial to him.
    My heart goes out to this little boy. I hope he and his mom are going to be ok.

Children that young process what is happening very differently than adults and a good child pyschologist can use a variety of "play" therapies to help them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread