+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    Well, I'm sitting here having another coffee
    I've been having ice coffee for one straight month and for the first time, i dont want any.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Has anyone else heard about this? A friend sent this to me.

Businesses Routinely Extra 'Holding Fee' To Debit Card Purchases
    By Charla Young

(LOUISVILLE) -- They may be convenient to use, but debit cards can get you in trouble if you're not careful. A new trend has many restaurants, hotels and gas stations placing holds on your accounts for well above what you're expecting. And in most instances, you don't know anything about it. WAVE 3 Troubleshooter Charla Young has information that could save you a ton in overdraft charges.

Robert Henry and his wife often dine at Picadilly's Restaurant. "The dining experience itself was OK," Henry said.

The couple got their bill for $29.27, paid with their debit card and left.

But when they checked their bank account online, they noticed a discrepancy. "The charge from the restaurant was 20 percent more than what our receipt had shown," Robert said.

His first reaction? "They had included a tip automatically."

But Robert had left his tip on the table. So he went back to Piccadilly's and demanded answers. He says the manager told him they put a 20 percent holding fee on his account automatically, and banks won't release it until the amount clears.

But that could be three or four days after your dining experience.

We've found this not an isolated case -- restaurants all over the city have the same policy.

"If you don't have the money to cover it, you could face overdrafts," Henry said.

Most of these restaurants don't have the new policy posted anywhere in their facilities, but that 20 percent pre-authorization is the norm, though you may not know about it unless you check your account.

And you're not told about this trend at many gas stations. When you swipe a debit card at the pump, the bank doesn't know how much money you'll be spending until you've finished. So to make sure you have the funds to cover the purchase, some stations ask banks to automatically set aside some of your money.

That amount used to be $20.

But with gas prices going up, stations now ask banks to hold $50, and in some cases even $100, meaning that quick top off for $10 really means you're out the use of $100 until the station sends over its bulk transactions.

Retailers say it's the banks that require this hold. We spoke with Chris Sanchez of Piccadilly's, who told us: "this charge does not come from the restaurant. We only charge what customers owe. The card processors grab the 20 percent and later release it."

And hotels all over the nation are implementing holds. We checked with a few hotels in Louisville.

If you use your debit card at the Seelbach Hotel, you'll incur a $50 additional hold for each day of stay.

At the Galt House, it's up to $100 per day, and the downtown Marriott is $30 per day.

Whether it's the retailer or the banks attaching these fees, the buyer should beware.

Robert Henry offers this very sound advice. "I've learned that what you need to do is ask questions before you use your debit or credit card. You need to ask is there a holding fee attached to this?"

Online Reporter: Charla Young

www.wave3.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Yep, had this happen at gas stations a few times. I no longer use the debit card at the gas station. I go to the ATM first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    If you run it as a credit, does the same thing happen?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't think so, but I dont' know for sure, but I've had checks bounce because of the "fee" the gas station held because I thought I had funds, so I just use cash.

Maybe someone else knows about using it as credit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    it does - using round numbers here....if you have $1000 available credit and you go to a restaurant and spend $80 on dinner, they actually pre-approve the charge for $100, leaving you with $900 available credit. You sign the receipt and then it's actually run through for the correct amount that you sign to. In most cases the 1st charge drops off pretty quickly, but you normally wouldn't notice unless you were charging with only a tiny bit of credit available.

However, with a bank account, that same hold is put on it and it isn't released immediately, so your money is actually on hold (versus your credit on the credit card).

I was advised never to use debit cards at restaurants or gas stations for this very reason.

these may explain it better.

http://www.state.me.us/pfr/bkg/DebitHoldBrochure.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/credbloc.htm

Wow, I had no idea.

I remember one trip when I was younger and had less room to wiggle on my credit card. Even though I'd checked out of the hotel a few days before, and the bill had been paid in full (with traveler's checks, I think) they had still put a hold for that amount on my credit card - and not removed it!

I only found out after driving back home, loading up a grocery cart and having my card declined. While the frozen foods thawed, I had to get the credit card company on the line - then the hotel - then back again - and basically beg, just so that I could go home and have something to eat. The fridge was empty because I'd been traveling.

At first the hotel didn't want to cooperate, even though the bill was paid! Ridiculous. And no, I didn't take anything or damage anything... This was simply their policy. Why, I have no idea, but I still remember how mortifying that was. Luckily the grocery store manager was nice and let me use their phone. I didn't even have a mobile phone back then. Ugh. Makes no sense to me to this day. Why leave a charge on there, when there is nothing to show for it?

As a restaurant manager I field this question quite often. In my case, it is not my restaurant that puts a hold on any amount. It is the company that processes the credit card transactions or even your own financial institution. I have been cussed out more than once over this and don't like being accused of changing the amount on a credit card transaction. I would suggest starting with your own bank and go from there.

I don't believe in cursing or yelling at people - especially in the service industry. (Besides, I've read bitterwaitress.com Lol) I know it wasn't to me, but, in my case - I just was exhausted and very hungry and wanted to get home.

What is the reason for the hold once something's been paid for - anyone know?

Probably so your charges will bounce. I know with paper checks the bank would hold small checks before processing them to see if a larger check will come through causing more checks to bounce.
    Like if you have 100 dollars in your account and your write two $30 checks and one $80 check. They'll hold the two 30 checks then when the $80 check comes in they'll process it causing two checks to bounce instead of one.

+ Reply to Thread