+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4432Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3225688;
    Ol' Al must be worried about losing, huh? Sounds like some other folks I've heard about! :nono
    Al Franken isn't the one who's doing the most mud slinging. Awhile back Norm Coleman did an ad saying that with the bad economy and all we need to be kinder (or something to that effect) and that he was no longer going to run negative ads. As far as I can tell, he has stopped. The negative ones that say, "I'm Norm Coleman, and I approve this message" anyway. NOW though it's the Republican Senatorial Committee (or whatever) that's throwing the mud, and way more than Norm ever did, IMO. Franken has done some, like comparing Coleman to Bush, something about fishing trips he took that were paid for by special interest groups, etc. I'm sick of them. I can't even vote for either of them, and yet I have to be subjected to their endless ads.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3225647;
    There may be police at our voting places here this year. I've heard things about McCain supporters protesting in front of the polling places and there have been people who won't say who they are voting for just to avoid being screamed at..
    It's such a shame when freedom of choice is in jeapordy.
    I've always seen police at polling stations. Besides it's illegal to protest/campaign/ellectioneer within a certain distance fom the polls. (at least in NY it is)

It's such a shame when freedom of choice is in jeapordy.
    Unless someone is following you into the booth and forcing you to vote in one way or another your freedom of choice is in no way in jeopardy.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I meant that people can't say what their choice is for fear of retaliation from others.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3225658;
    Where are you that voting is on Sunday?
    Oh, forgot to mention that. I'm in Sweden

We don't have early voting here in NY....unless one uses an absentee ballot. Actually, until this election, I had never heard of early voting before.

If we did have it here in NY, I would have done it already. Like prhoshay, I have also wondered what if something unforeseen happened to me between now and election day and I couldn't vote!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3225590;
    I haven't decided if I'm going to vote yet. Because of the whole electoral college thing, my vote doesn't count really. If we elected presidents by popular vote then I'd vote every time. But I live in Texas so my democratic vote means nothing. Plus my husband usually votes a straight republican ticket and I vote a straight democrat ticket so.... Every election one of us waits to see if the other is going to vote and then we vote to cancel each other out. Ahhh, true love
    I live in a state that is going to go Republican, but I'm still voting. I like to think that every vote counts. Besides, I get a real charge out of voting. I'm a patriotic geek that also gets goosebumps when I hear our National Anthem. I had someone tell me that I shouldn't bother voting here as my vote wouldn't count and it really made me mad. I told him that I didn't care, I had the right to and I was going to exercise that right. There's an awful lot of people in this world that wish they had the same right, so I'm voting for me and for them even though my vote is not going to help Obama get his electoral votes.
    Besides, I want to be able to say that I voted for Obama as this is history baby. We're seeing history being made and I want to be a part of that.
    I had a group of kids yesterday in the museum and in the Civil Rights section as we talked about how blacks didn't have many civil rights when I was a child and how much things have changed, one kid (these were 3rd graders) said: "And things have changed so much that we're going to have a black president!". And he was excited about it and I am too. (that's not the reason I'm voting for him, but it's a great side benefit that I have the chance to participate in history being made).

Anyway, when you spend your days teaching kids about the American Revolution and why it was fought and talking about how far this country has come from the days of slavery and Jim Crow laws, I'm proud to cast my vote even though it's "not going to count in SC" as I was told a couple weeks ago.

Ok, darn it, where is that Red, White and Blue smilie!

There has been a 3 hour wait for early voting here the past 2 days. There is only one place you can early vote (as opposed to MANY polling places on Tues.) and they do not have room to put up a lot of machines, so it's meant long lines. They have been talking about extending the hours for early voting.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-30-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3225609;
    mrd, I can see you do your hair in that dated way! You are sooooooo lucky!

Unfortunately my hair is going to be covered in a nurses veil thing.
    Famita, I would be very happy to have you come take my place. I am not a costume type of person. But I'm going to at least try to have a little fun with it. My grandfather was an army medic in France in WWI, so maybe I can channel him for that.

Oh, count me in the group who is so sick of this election that I cannot stand it anymore. Miraculously, the ads haven't been too bad, the people on the street trying to shill for votes have been worse. That said, it really doesn't help that one of my coworkers is obsessed, has his tv set to CNN all day (eight straight hours of that on any given day could probably make anyone insane, eight hours, five days a week, for four months and I'm climbing the ledge), and talks about it ad nauseam. Throw in the financial crisis, and some related stresses at work, and it's all combined to make me so sick of everything that I'm quite literally fleeing the country. Just for a weekend, but I need to go someplace where I won't hear all of the same stuff that I've been hearing about for two months straight (or more).

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3226010;
    Oh, count me in the group who is so sick of this election that I cannot stand it anymore. Miraculously, the ads haven't been too bad, the people on the street trying to shill for votes have been worse. That said, it really doesn't help that one of my coworkers is obsessed, has his tv set to CNN all day (eight straight hours of that on any given day could probably make anyone insane, eight hours, five days a week, for four months and I'm climbing the ledge), and talks about it ad nauseam. Throw in the financial crisis, and some related stresses at work, and it's all combined to make me so sick of everything that I'm quite literally fleeing the country. Just for a weekend, but I need to go someplace where I won't hear all of the same stuff that I've been hearing about for two months straight (or more).
    Do you work with my husband?
    I've told him that I have reservations at the Betty Ford Clinic for him for next Wed. because he needs rehab for his serious election coverage addiction.

I like to keep up to date on the daily happenings in the campaigns, but I can't watch the hours and hours of coverage he watches and it's hours of someone rehashing the SAME thing. He says that I watch the food network like that. But I told him it's not the same. To even make it a similar comparison would be me watching Paula Deen make the same recipe over and over and over again for 3-4 hours every night.

I'm going to need a room at Betty Ford also. Maybe we could get a group rate or something? I am just so addicted to the coverage and political websites - I guess I will catch up on my book reading once it's over!

I will be traveling on Election day - and won't return home until evening. Not sure how I will handle it, we will be in the car and Mr. M won't allow me to listen to it the entire trip! It will drive him nuts!! But I know I will be up all night watching results!

+ Reply to Thread