+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5864Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Living in a state where our governor's race was decided four years ago by 133 votes, I feel like mine actually counts. And, we have a death with dignity initiative on the ballot I want to be sure and vote on. I don't think my vote for President or for my Congressman (who routinely gets 70 plus percent of the vote) really matters because those races are pretty much predetermined here.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned my lesson years ago when, as a young voter, a friend of mine was running for mayor. I was very confident that he would win, so I didn't bother to vote. He lost by about 100 votes.....and I've felt badly about that ever since. It's one of the few times in my life that I've actually entertained guilt. I've voted in every election since!

Never Believe That Your Vote Doesn't Matter. There are too many countries that don't have voting as a right. Americans should vote proudly, and not just take it all for granted. A lot of people around the world have died for the right to vote!

I not only voted early because there was no real question of where my vote was going, but I also want to avoid the unexpected dumb stuff that can crop up to get between me and my casting my vote. What if I croak unexpectedly (it's just not right to arrive at the Pearly Gates with a bad attitude)?? What if I end up in the stupid hospital for some stupid reason?? What if I get into an accident on the way to the polls?? What if I have to leave town unexpectedly?? I have enjoyed voting on election day before and understand why people want to do it but, I've come to realize that you can't always count on being able to do exactly what you think you're going to do on the exact day you think you plan to do it. The day I voted....I took it as one of those signs that I've learned to pay attention to....I was preparing for my day, and my power went out AGAIN, a couple of weeks after that Hurricane Ike fiasco; it ended up being a blown transformer, and we were without for about 6 hours. I figured that I may as well go and vote since there wasn't much else for me to do. I'm glad I did. My mind is at peace!

And I'm going to laugh when a lot of people are in those long, long lines taking a butt-whipping on election day!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There may be police at our voting places here this year. I've heard things about McCain supporters protesting in front of the polling places and there have been people who won't say who they are voting for just to avoid being screamed at. It's such a shame when freedom of choice is in jeapordy.
    Yup, with donuts!!

One thing I like about our voting system is that election day is always on a Sunday, meaning that most people don't have to work the same day. Of course it is also possible to vote beforehand.

Also, as agreed to by all parties, it is not allowed to do any soliciting on Election day, the parties are allowed to hand out their forms, but nothing else, unless the voter wants information. It's the same on the national level, the last debate is on the Friday, after that it's no more and we can cast our votes "in peace".

Where are you that voting is on Sunday?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3225653;
    One thing I like about our voting system is that election day is always on a Sunday, meaning that most people don't have to work the same day. Of course it is also possible to vote beforehand.

Also, as agreed to by all parties, it is not allowed to do any soliciting on Election day, the parties are allowed to hand out their forms, but nothing else, unless the voter wants information. It's the same on the national level, the last debate is on the Friday, after that it's no more and we can cast our votes "in peace".
    Hopefully you'll have peace femme. It's an all out war here. People have been burning signs, spray painting them, etc. and it's both sides, not just one. The Republican side has gotten physical with a group who had Obama signs near our government center but Democrats have been painting over signs or just ripping them out of the ground which is against the law. Tuesday cannot come soon enough for us here.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I had some extra time this morning and was reading a magazine that had interviews with both of the wives (McCain and Obama). I hadn't really paid much attention to them before. Obama was wearing a simple, but elegant red dress and spoke plainly with feeling. McCain looks like a "mean girl" with a fancy Channel-type suit, silly bling, and clumpy mascara and eye liner. She spoke in circles. I couldn't even follow what she was saying several times. She mentioned over and over what a sense of humor her husband has.
    I can't wait for it all to be over and have normal commercials again.
    Count your blessings!

I can't wait for the election to be over too. I live near the Minnesota border so we get local tv stations from both Iowa and Minn. The Presidential ads have slowed down since Obama is carrying a double digit lead in both states, but the race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken is really getting dirty. I'm sick of hearing it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3225671;
    I can't wait for the election to be over too. I live near the Minnesota border so we get local tv stations from both Iowa and Minn. The Presidential ads have slowed down since Obama is carrying a double digit lead in both states, but the race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken is really getting dirty. I'm sick of hearing it.
    Well isn't that interesting.

Ol' Al must be worried about losing, huh? Sounds like some other folks I've heard about! :nono

+ Reply to Thread