+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5803Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I remember there was a minister of a church that hung himself in the church, but the house next door was always said to be haunted. Me & a friend would lay on the hill with our heads just peeking up for hours watching that house to see if anything happened. "Did you see that shade move?" "No, I saw the curtains upstairs move."

Hours of self entertainment, and I LOVED going to the library and reading books and getting my bookworm club paper stamped....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We had an old lady in our neighborhood who was incredibly mean. We'd dare each other to stand outside of her house to see if she'd come out with the broom screaming at us. As an adult I think that was wrong of us but we were so scared it made us laugh and nearly wet ourselves to do it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I used to love Statues, red light-green light, red rover, etc.
    but we had this one game - Draw around circle, color it purple, somebody poke. One person stood at the tree with eyes covered, everyone else around, and someone would then poke the caller in the back. if he could guess who it was, they had to do the dare (set up ahead of time) otherwise the caller had to.
    and, I hate to admit, some of these dares would probably end us up in court right now for vandalism.

thats another reason besides streets not being as safe anymore, for kids not being out like they were before. Some stupid game or dare and the whole family could lose everything in court these days instead of the kid just being forced to clean up their mess. When I was a kid, everyone wasn't taking problems to court like they do now. If we got caught, my parents would give me a few whacks with a belt (nothing that I couldn't take) and then the other kids and I would go apologize and clean up anthing we did wrong. I do miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3216591;
    I used to love Statues, red light-green light, red rover, etc.
    but we had this one game - Draw around circle, color it purple, somebody poke. One person stood at the tree with eyes covered, everyone else around, and someone would then poke the caller in the back. if he could guess who it was, they had to do the dare (set up ahead of time) otherwise the caller had to.
    and, I hate to admit, some of these dares would probably end us up in court right now for vandalism.

thats another reason besides streets not being as safe anymore, for kids not being out like they were before. Some stupid game or dare and the whole family could lose everything in court these days instead of the kid just being forced to clean up their mess. When I was a kid, everyone wasn't taking problems to court like they do now. If we got caught, my parents would give me a few whacks with a belt (nothing that I couldn't take) and then the other kids and I would go apologize and clean up anthing we did wrong. I do miss those days.
    Yeah - Like the time I broke someones window and damn, I didn't even make it completely into the house before I got the "WHAT were YOU THINKING?" "Now we need to pay for that window and YOU WILL work it off - NO ALLOWANCE until it is paid for". That was it, no court, no lawyers, just grounded for a a week and forced to do "hard" labor. Taught me a lesson though.

OR the time when they were building the freeways and me and couple kids walked our bikes to the top of a 2 or 3 story hill of dirt and rode down. I wiped out about 3/4 of the way down, ripped my pants, skinned my legs, ended up with gravel embedded in my skin. My Mom was "Why would you do something that stupid?" ME: "Ricky dared me"... Mom: "Would you jump off a bridge too?" ME: SILENCE (with a really dumb look on my face) - No police, no lawyers, no sue somebody, just get the listerine out to disinfect the stupid kid and hope he'll learn.
    Last edited by just1paul; 10-13-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Does every mother say: "if your friends jumped off the river bridge would you?"

mine sure did and I have said it too.

Yep, if I did anything wrong, my mother got 3 phone calls about it before I even got home (we lived in a small town and everyone looked out for everyone else's kids) and if I did damage, I had to pay for it.

boy those are lessons that are hard to teach as theory. hard lessons, but i think from what I read from most of you, very valuable lessons learned early in life by all of us.

And Schmoo, Amen about the court thing. I think kids would be better off learning personally responsibility rather than what a plaintiff and defendent are.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I got the bridge line, and my mom also liked, "If your head wasn't attached, you'd leave it on the bus."

What I couldn't understand when my kids were growing up was the amount of parents who refused to see that their kids could do anything wrong. My boys would get into something and my first response was, "NOW what did you do??" Some of their friends parents response was more like, "MY son would NEVER do something like that!" Well, yeah, he would, because he was right next to my son when it happened. I'm all for sticking up for your kids, but when it's obvious that they are wrong they need to be made to take responsibility for their actions.

And MRD My mom used the bridge question all the time and I'm not ashamed to admit that it came out of my mouth a few times too.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We had a game called "Colored Eggs". One person was the Mother Hen, one was the Wolf and everyone else was an egg. The mother whispered a color in each egg's ear - sometimes more than one egg had the same color. Then the Wolf and Mother had this exchange: W- Knock, knock. M- Who's there? W- The big bad wolf. M-What do you want? W- Colored eggs. M- I don't have any. Eggs - cheep, cheep, cheep! W- Oh yes you do! M- If you can guess the color, you can have them. Then the Wolf starts naming colors and when your color is called you run around a predetermined goal and back to touch the Mother. The last egg caught is the Wolf and the Wolf becomes the Mother.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3216631;
    What I couldn't understand when my kids were growing up was the amount of parents who refused to see that their kids could do anything wrong. My boys would get into something and my first response was, "NOW what did you do??" Some of their friends parents response was more like, "MY son would NEVER do something like that!" Well, yeah, he would, because he was right next to my son when it happened. I'm all for sticking up for your kids, but when it's obvious that they are wrong they need to be made to take responsibility for their actions.

And MRD My mom used the bridge question all the time and I'm not ashamed to admit that it came out of my mouth a few times too.
    Oh my gosh, I have run into those parents too. Why would you think your child was always innocent? I may have the best dadgum daughter in the world, but I have no illusions about the fact that she can and did get into some trouble occasionally (and that's how they learn to STAY OUT of trouble, by getting into it and getting punished for it) And i have friends that are teachers that have told me that they run into it a lot. One had a kid get in trouble in her class, she sent a note home about it and the parents demanded a parent/teacher conference. They brought their lawyer to the conference!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3216635;
    Oh my gosh, I have run into those parents too. Why would you think your child was always innocent? I may have the best dadgum daughter in the world, but I have no illusions about the fact that she can and did get into some trouble occasionally (and that's how they learn to STAY OUT of trouble, by getting into it and getting punished for it) And i have friends that are teachers that have told me that they run into it a lot. One had a kid get in trouble in her class, she sent a note home about it and the parents demanded a parent/teacher conference. They brought their lawyer to the conference!!!!!
    Good Lord! If I'd have had to hire a lawyer every time one of my kids got into trouble at school I'd never get out of debt!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread