+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm trying to cut back on groceries and use up all the surplus in the pantry (dried beans, rice, packaged crap) but I won't cut back on fresh fruits and veggies. I do have a freezer full of my own peaches, grapes, and blackberries that I processed (not many apples this year!) that I can fall back on if I can't afford groceries now and then. I don't do makeup/hair/nails so that's one less expense, but my one real splurge is Puffs Plus tissues with the lotion in them. I would hate to give up those.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Well I've started couponing like crazy for groceries. I have about $40 worth to use when I go shopping today.

I have given up so much in the last couple years, that I don't how much else I can give up.
    My daughter now does my hair as she's in school for it, so that expense is less.

I don't get manicures or pedicures anymore.

We don't eat out very often, we haven't been to the movies in about 6 months. I think Vantage Point was the last movie I saw in the theater.

Probably if we were to have to cut back even more, we'd cut out the satellite dish and go with just basic cable.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I go on pantry and freezer austerity every once in a while and use up what's in there. Sometimes I buy a bunch of stuff on sale and it gets lost in the freezer somewhere. It's made me spend less lately when I really could use the extra cash and use up what's in there and not let it go bad which is a worse waste of money.

I totally coupon too. Our supermarkets have double coupons all the time so that helps.

and, here I am buying a new home. Yes. it scare the heck out of me. But I have waited longer than I should to do this. Once we get moved, and get the current place up and rented I will feel better. And ready to cut back on some other things. and hopefully can just sit tight and conserve some until things get better.
    we do have a problem with going out to eat, a lot. But you get that way when you are finally in the 'kid gone' zone.

I keep saying we aren't buying anything new for the house (you know, besides the HOUSE), but we just got a new fridge ordered, and hubby had to have a new recliner (his old one was like 15 years old and broke).

But I have been saving up for this move for several years now. Can't 'pay cash' for the new house, had to get the 80% loan (at 6.125!!!!, not too hateful). but managing cash for all the rest, including the repairs, new driveways, gutting of the old place to rent it out. And trying to make sure there is enough left in case my business drops down, or DH loses his job, or anything else.

but scary watching my retirement fund dropping. Really, really scary.

I have to say that I'm feeling a bit of a sense of smug superiority at the moment. Not over all the people who are being screwed over by the weasels on Wall Street, but over the financial advisors whose advice I vociferously ignored when setting up my RSP (I think that's like a 401K, but I could be wrong). They kept trying to sell me on the idea that investing in mutual funds and the like would net me greater gains than the safer T-bills I wanted. After days of arguing about it, I went with 90% T-bill, 10% balanced fund. I just checked my account and found that while the value of the reinvested income on the T-bills is down, the principal remains intact. The mutual funds, though? . Way, way down. I am really happy that I ignored the "experts" and went with what works for me. I won't make the huge returns, no, but unless the government collapses entirely, I will have something to retire on.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Good for you Rattus! Well, we have some investments and yep, they are down. However, we aren't retiring for at least 20 years so I'm being philisophical about it. We don't need that money right now, so it'll have to rebound, right? Right? Please? We don't have any credit card debt. My dad was a C.A. (I think that is like a CGA in the US) so we were always taught to pay bills and not incur interest. There have been times in my life when we had to, and buying a new washing machine had to be paid off over time, but at this point other than our mortgage, we don't owe money. I am sure our house value has dropped a bit since the To. market is flat right now, but I'm not planning on moving soon. More concern to me is that my husband works in the metals sector. The prices are all over the map. I will say this though, I am thinking about the expenses for next year and trying to put some aside each month in another account to have a bit of a buffer.

canuck, I would like to share my "saving for incidentals, flea markets and occasional fun" tip with you . When I do a purse cleaning and clear all the change from the bottom, the tooneys all get separated into three separate containers. One container is my saving for the above noted purposes. I'm a little short this week so had to dip into it and found that I had $160 in there. The second container, which never gets touched, ever, will be funneled into an account that I plan on purchasing GICs with. The third container (currently at $800), which also never gets touched, is being saved for some uncertain future purpose. At this point I'm guessing that it will go to investments of some sort, but on the other hand, it could go towards the couch I really want which costs...never mind, it's way, way too much money.

I love tooneys. I could kiss whichever administration decided to ignore the wishes of the people and went ahead and just did what was sensible.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

alright, ignorant American here. What's a tooney?

I'm not giving up my one new pc game a month subscription. It's only $6.99/month and I love to play those find-the-object games. I also need to have lunch in a restaurant once or twice a month. It lowers my stress level so much at work. I bring my lunch the rest of the time. I have managed to stoppgoing to buy lattes entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3215556;
    alright, ignorant American here. What's a tooney?
    The looney is our $1 coin and the tooney is our $2 coin. I love them. I love thinking that I can't afford lunch and then reaching into the bottom of my bag and finding $40 where I used to just find $1.62. Plus, using the aforementioned tooney savings, I once bought stock and made a profit.

And speaking of Canadian coinage, it's looking more and more likely that the penny is going to be discontinued. I'm actually pretty happy about that, too - it takes forever to save $50.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, some people "got it" and others went in the opposite direction. The question was "What niceties will you NOT give up" in this crappy economy. You know, like chocolate....gummi worms....whatever other fun things that really move you! This was meant to be fun....not be a downer.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread