+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3213480;
    I took a home ec course my senior year in high school. It was called Family Life and only available to seniors. We were taught checkbook balancing, basic interest calculations, whole life/term life differences, cooking, etc. It was a lot of fun.
    Hahaha, Family Life was the euphemism my middle school used for our eighth grade co-ed $ex ed course. So awkward.

As for home ec and the like, we had home ec for the last three years of middle school, although when I entered seventh grade they opted for the more politically correct (who really knows?) family and consumer sciences. Incidentally, until I took the class, I thought home ec was short for home equity, which must mean I was watching too many loan ads as a young'un. When I was in sixth grade, we had wood shop, where we learned to make wooden baskets (still have mine!), but when that teacher retired, the powers that be decided that a technology education course would be more relevant, so they switched shop over to that. Lest anyone get the idea that we studied, well, anything useful, let me reassure you that we made foam magnetic levitation "cars," which is clearly something I use in my everyday life.

I know my high school offered cooking courses (culinary arts--- not home ec), and there was a boatbuilding class for those interested in woodworking, and I don't even know what else, but for many of us, those got lost in the world of transcript and resume padding and college admission strategies.

Fortunately, I can cook fairly well, sew a button on in a pinch and probably more if I had to, and while I'm no expert, I'm okay with basic tools. Our family favorite is the hammer, but a close second of mine is the level.

Oh, and strangely I think that compounding interest was material from my precalculus class... my mom had to teach me how to balance my checkbook.

home Ec: I took home ec in 7th grade, sewing, we could make whatever we wanted, and I made the UGLIEST "skort" that has ever existed in the history of the world. You know what a skort is? its shorts and a skirt together..mine was like, pink and blue squares haha it was so awful...Im not susie homemaker at all, and I will never even today so 13 years later be a seamstress haha
    They don't already? (nevermind, silly me) I remember doing simple budgets as part of math in elementary (Catholic) school. Then in (public) junior high, we did a pretty involved unit in budgeting and basic economics in citizenship class. Then in (public) high school, we had a heavier duty economics course in which we studied principles of economics in general, and then specific practical economics in which we learned checkbook balancing, figuring interest on loans, compounding, etc.
    I took that, in high school..I went to a private christian boarding school, and seniors were required to take a class called "christian finance" but thats what it was...how to budget, balance a checkbook....not use more money then you have..that type of thing, I dont know if it exists in public school.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3213957;
    . . . the powers that be decided that a technology education course would be more relevant, so they switched shop over to that. Lest anyone get the idea that we studied, well, anything useful, let me reassure you that we made foam magnetic levitation "cars," which is clearly something I use in my everyday life. . .
    As an early student of "The Jetsons" I'm greatly disappointed that, although we're well past the year 2000, we still don't have foam magnetic levitation cars that fold up into handy briefcases. Obviously, not enough of these courses have been taught!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had both home ec and metal shop in 7th grade (back in the mid-70's) - both for one semester each. In home ec we actually had ovens in the classroom and I remember making cookies . . . . or something similar. In metal shop I remember making a chisel. In hindsight I can kind of feel sorry for my metal shop teacher - all those kids with hormones racing and power tools . . . not a good combination! I kept my chisel for a while, and then eventually threw it away, but maybe that is where my love affair with power tools began . . . I haven't met one yet that I didn't like to use!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

I'm with Ellen, where's my levitating, folding car?

I had sewing in Catholic school in 8th grade and made the ugliest blouse ever. Nothing in Public HS and my mom taught me to balance a checkbook.
    We got the all important Americanism versus Communisim classes instead of the practical ones with shop and home ec and balancing checkbooks.

They had shop, but only the boys took it.

I guess I should have taken Agriculture class so I'd be a better gardener. I know quite a few girls that took Ag.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some of us took "Clothing" in high school, as an elective; I want to say that it was in grade 10 or 11. Now remember, this was an all girls Catholic high school. We got a lot done, but it was one huge, FUN social hour (we were very chatty!), and I actually was able to make things that I was not ashamed to wear! I made a really neat jumper that buttoned down the front, I made my "after prom" outfit, I screwed up a quilt ROYALLY!! To this day, I can still sew, but I don't think I've done anything major since college. And, yes, it was a really practical, helpful skill to have learned. I made these pants that were a dark green plaid, and the plaid was well matched, and I got more questions about where I had bought those pants! Now, that made it all worthwhile!! Unfortunately, today all I'm willing to do is repair a seam!

I know some about making home repairs, and I think that stuff is really fun. I've installed a ceiling fan, I've replaced all of my electrical outlets in my house, and I've done some plumbing work. Just give me a home repair book, and/or Home Depot or Lowe's and I'm more than willing to give it a shot!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I remember taking Home Ec in 7th grade where we learned to cook (I made a fantastic Liver/Hollandaise sauce/Rice dish that was really good) and sew (I made the ugliest apron!). I didn't do anything much until about 20 years ago when I started making quilts and clothes (for me, not my sons-I don't think they'd appreciate dresses).

I can't believe that no one has been bolted before-isn't that when you run away really fast?!

Click to Give @ The Breast Cancer Site

This has a link to click to donate a mammogram to the needy. It costs you nothing.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3214477;
    Click to Give @ The Breast Cancer Site

This has a link to click to donate a mammogram to the needy. It costs you nothing.
    I clicked! And I added it to my daily clicking roster!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

LG.

there was a class in my high school called "Math for Life" and it taught balancing a checkbook, how to score bowling, simple and compound interest, how many beers you could drink before you were .10 BAC versus how many shots of brandy it would take to get you there - useful stuff. I didn't take it because it was the required math credit for the non-college bound (which was over half of my class - rural area), but I think they had more interesting stuff than those of us stuck in calculus - which I never ever use.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread