+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6808Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3212572;
    The notion of "men's" work and "women's work" is outdated anyway. I think men should be able to learn to sew (enough to replace a button or mend something at least), cook and do laundry and women should learn to change oil and change a tire on a car as well as do some simple home type repairs.
    I've always believed that both boys and girls should be REQUIRED to take both home ec and shop while in school, as both teach skills that are of far more value to the average human than, say, calculus. So of course, both appear to have been eliminated from the curriculum. Idiot politicians.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My son can cook, clean, do laundry, etc. also. Some of it he learned at home, but some of it (the cooking part) he learned in Boy Scouts. When the go camping, the Scouts eat what they cook. So they learn pretty fast how to make food edible! He's pretty self-sufficient - lazy, but self-sufficient!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

the only paper check i write these days is for my rent every month. everything else is paid online or with my debit card. i keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet register that is updated everytime i use my card and i balance it against my bank balance daily.

now that i use my debit card for EVERYTHING (even buying a soda on the way home from work), i am able to keep a better eye on my expenditures, than if i had gone to the ATM and withdrawn $20 ... because before, i had no idea where that twenty bucks went to after it was spent.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3212658;
    the only paper check i write these days is for my rent every month. everything else is paid online or with my debit card. i keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet register that is updated everytime i use my card and i balance it against my bank balance daily.

now that i use my debit card for EVERYTHING (even buying a soda on the way home from work), i am able to keep a better eye on my expenditures, than if i had gone to the ATM and withdrawn $20 ... because before, i had no idea where that twenty bucks went to after it was spent.
    that's another reason I like the online banking statement that is instantly updated. I can see where I'm spending my money.

Yep, I think they should teach both home ec and shop to boys and girls in school and also simple economics, like how to balance a checkbook, how to budget, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have a debit card, but I usually use it in the credit card mode so that they won't be holding out fees for no good reason. I only use it in debit card mode if I need cash, which I only do about once/month. And I pay close attention to when and where I spend my cash!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3212670;
    . . . I think they should teach . . . simple economics, like how to balance a checkbook, how to budget, etc.
    They don't already? (nevermind, silly me) I remember doing simple budgets as part of math in elementary (Catholic) school. Then in (public) junior high, we did a pretty involved unit in budgeting and basic economics in citizenship class. Then in (public) high school, we had a heavier duty economics course in which we studied principles of economics in general, and then specific practical economics in which we learned checkbook balancing, figuring interest on loans, compounding, etc.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3212783;
    They don't already? (nevermind, silly me) I remember doing simple budgets as part of math in elementary (Catholic) school. Then in (public) junior high, we did a pretty involved unit in budgeting and basic economics in citizenship class. Then in (public) high school, we had a heavier duty economics course in which we studied principles of economics in general, and then specific practical economics in which we learned checkbook balancing, figuring interest on loans, compounding, etc.
    I had that also. Plus I took 2 semesters of bookkeeping in high school.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3211910;
    do you use e-pay or electronic bill paying through your bank? I do, and it takes me a long time to run through checks now - but not as long to run through check registries, so I've been scrounging around for registries to keep my account balanced. My bank says it is a common problem with folks using e-pay (but they didn't answer as to why they keep sending out only 1 registry with 5 books of checks).
    My bank gives me extra registries when I ask at the drive thru (which I can only use the drive thru teller twice a month without getting charged b/c I am with the E-account-all transactions online or with check / debit card).

My kids took home ec in middle school. They all had to sew something and all of them made flannel boxer shorts, which they could wear around the house. They had to be plaid, too, so that they would have to learn how to match up the plaids at the seams. Of course, once they made them and were graded on them, I never saw them again.

They also did basic balancing of checkbooks in middle school too.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3212572;
    The notion of "men's" work and "women's work" is outdated anyway. I think men should be able to learn to sew (enough to replace a button or mend something at least), cook and do laundry and women should learn to change oil and change a tire on a car as well as do some simple home type repairs.
    I SO agree. My dad made me "help" with the oil changes and car repairs from the time I was a very little girl. He made sure that I knew how to change a tire and drive a nail and do basic home repairs. I actually managed to replace a phone jack that was about 30 years old once and my Dad was highly impressed by that! LOL - I do still call him if I have car trouble though. He likes working on cars. Mr. Doxie had a blowout last week and he was less than a mile from my parents' house. Mr. Doxie never got the "how to change a tire" lesson and he tried to call my father for help because he didn't know where the jack was on his truck.... Daddy was not at home and Mr. Doxie ended up having the truck towed. It cost him $70 and then he had to buy two new tires. We've been joking about my Dad saying "My idiot-son-in-law can fix my computer in five minutes but can't change a tire!".
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread