+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am immensely angry at Merry Maids right now. I hired them to do a once over cleaning of a rental unit before the tenants moved in. This unit had been completely renovated - all new bath, kitchen, new paint, I had the carpets professionally cleaned, the floors were refinished. The place was immaculate. Brand new shades and drapes. I wanted to make sure it was really clean before the tenants moved in (it was clean, and empty, but I had several people through for showings) so I told them to just clean the bathroom floor and do a once over in the other rooms. Got my bill today:

WHAT!!?!?? I called them to ask WTH happened and they said they were there for several hours to clean. The place is a little over 1000 sq ft. I can't imagine what took so long. The bathroom isn't large, there wasn't much else to clean in there. I'm never hiring Merry Maids again.

Yikes! That sounds like a LOT of money for what you've described, onei0091. Just proves that we should always get a price quote before we have people do any kind of work for us. I'd ask them for an itemized breakdown of what was done. If they can't provide that, maybe they'll consider reducing the price.

I told them what I wanted done, and they said it would cost between 50-100$ total. They said it would take them somewhere around an hour, and they said they charged 90$/hr. Then I get this bill. When I asked about it, they said they cleaned each window, and on top of the 90$/hr they also charge 5$/window. That still doesn't add up but then they said they were there for several hours. BS. Someone is supposed to call me back.

90 bucks an hour? Damn, I'm in the wrong business.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

We looked into the Merry Maids when we needed someone to come in and clean our house in Maine between our weekends, and we were shocked at how expensive they were. We finally found a local woman to do it for a reasonable rate (and worth every penny, especially when we go up on Friday and come home on Sunday), and I like the fact that I know that the woman who is doing the work also gets to keep all of the money. (And frankly, I suspect that she does better work. After reading Nickel and Dimed, I'm a lot more conscious of the way that some of the services operate, and it's really not pretty. I feel bad for the employees, of course, but I also feel bad for the people who are paying to have their house cleaned, as some of the instructions the cleaners are given revolve more around getting in and out and using minimal supplies than on trying to get things reasonably clean... it's an interesting read on a few levels.)

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3206258;
    We looked into the Merry Maids when we needed someone to come in and clean our house in Maine between our weekends, and we were shocked at how expensive they were. We finally found a local woman to do it for a reasonable rate (and worth every penny, especially when we go up on Friday and come home on Sunday), and I like the fact that I know that the woman who is doing the work also gets to keep all of the money. (And frankly, I suspect that she does better work. After reading Nickel and Dimed, I'm a lot more conscious of the way that some of the services operate, and it's really not pretty. I feel bad for the employees, of course, but I also feel bad for the people who are paying to have their house cleaned, as some of the instructions the cleaners are given revolve more around getting in and out and using minimal supplies than on trying to get things reasonably clean... it's an interesting read on a few levels.)
    Wow, is the book about businesses in general or the cleaning industry specifically? That sounds interesting. And, yeah, the ONLY difference I noticed in the place from before vs. after they were there was that it smelled like cinnamon, and the shades were all up on the windows. Otherwise it seriously looked exactly the same (because it wasn't very dirty to begin with, probably!). I will never use Merry Maids again in my life.

I have professionals come and clean in between tenants because it seems to make the tenants feel like things are cleaner than if I did it myself, and if there's any issue about whether it was clean or not I have a bill from a maid service to indicate that the unit was indeed cleaned. Never have I been charged so much, though. That's just crazy. I remember I had my condo cleaned when I left San Diego (and I left it in a bit of a mess) and it was like 100$. It was a lot larger and 50% of the place is made of gigantic windows.

Now I rent out that condo as a vacation rental and have a property management co. do all of this stuff. Tenants pay for cleanings (thank goodness). Being a landlord is kinda crappy sometimes. I never realized how expensive some services are. I just put 30,000$ into a smallish unit - everything is newly renovated - and my tenants call me EVERY DAY (sometimes late at night) to ask if I'll do this and that and the next thing. I hope it slows down soon. The last thing they wanted me to do was to buy them a microwave, a new screen door and a new front door (I just put a new front doorknob on that door on Monday, BTW). Sheesh. Meanwhile the other tenants saw how nice the renovated unit is and want the same (though they pay signficantly less rent because their unit isn't upgraded). I can't afford these tenants.

I've got a lot of rants today, sorry. I'm crabby about my eye (see the troubles thread for more info on that) and I'd like at the very least a weekend off from this duplex so I can heal and watch movies. LOL.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is Nickel and Dimed?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3206273;
    Wow, is the book about businesses in general or the cleaning industry specifically? That sounds interesting. And, yeah, the ONLY difference I noticed in the place from before vs. after they were there was that it smelled like cinnamon, and the shades were all up on the windows. Otherwise it seriously looked exactly the same (because it wasn't very dirty to begin with, probably!). I will never use Merry Maids again in my life.

It's not just about the cleaning industry-- a reporter goes undercover and writes about her experiences as a member of the working class in a few different places, and essentially tries to see if she can make it (which she defines as being able to pay for her next month's rent wherever she's staying, IIRC). One of her jobs was working for a cleaning service, but she also worked a pair of waitressing jobs, she worked in a nursing home, she worked at Wal-Mart, etc. It's an interesting book, for sure.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 09-26-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3206277;
    It's not just about the cleaning industry-- a reporter goes undercover and writes about her experiences as a member of the working class in a few different places. One of her jobs was working for a cleaning service, but she also worked a pair of waitressing jobs, she worked in a nursing home, she worked at Wal-Mart, etc. It's an interesting book, for sure.
    I'm going to get that book! I've been looking for something good to read, and that sounds really interesting.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just reserved it at my local public library!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread