+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5772Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We get them every year. Daughter had asthma and son got asthma symptoms with the slightest cold. Fortunately, both seem to have outgrown it. Daughter is majoring in Early Childhood education so does fieldwork in an elementary school, and works part-time at a daycare so really needs it!!!!

eta: None of us have gotten the flu the year we've had a flu shot.

My 3000th post!!!!
    Last edited by veejer; 09-23-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: More info
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Woo hoo! Happy 3,000th veejer!
    Count your blessings!

I'm sure many of those are in the sports thread helping me out by posting the weekly standings of our NASCAR fantasy racing league. Thanks for all the help and it's a pleasure having you here.

I've always thought the flu shot was just for some strains of the flu, so you can get a different virus. I was sick 4 times last year, just colds I'm pretty sure. I started a new workplace where there are children (those adorable little germ/bacteria/virus factories) in the building. So I'm hoping that I've built up a bit more resistance this year. I've also been using the neti pot, which I've heard can help get rid of some germs. So fingers crossed for a illness free winter and spring.

I've never gotten the flu or a flu shot. My toddler gets the flu shot every year because it's required by her daycare. But nobody else does. I'm probably a really irresponsible parent for not getting the whole family flu-shotted up. Maybe since nobody in the family has ever had the flu I don't feel the urgency to take preventative measures.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I never used to get the flu shot either--but then I got the flu (the real thing, not just a bad cold) After the experience of being literally too weak to do more than walk to the bathroom for nearly a week, and then feeling like garbage for 2 more, I make sure to always get a flu shot as early as possible. I got this year's last week.

As for the tv. mine is still a regular, non-flat 27 inch one. I want to get a flat screen, but will be waiting a bit. I caught myself seiously thinking about one last week, but then my hot water heater died over the weekend. By the time they added and expansion tank to bring the old plumbing up to code, and dug a bunch of dirt out of my crawl space to get the new heater in (why it's under there is beyond me!) it was over $1000
    Between that and a big vet bill last week, I don't think the tv will be coming anytime soon. I rally only want one because with my screen being small anyway, if I watch a dvd with the black top and bottom, the picture is really small!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3204071;
    I got this year's last week.
    I'd managed to forget (for tonight, anyway) that winter/flu season is approaching! Nooo!

Some years I've gotten flu shots, some years I haven't. When I was getting allergy shots and living in the dorms, they always wanted me to have them. I've had the flu a few times-- the aches and chills and feeling awful flu, not the stomach variety-- and I sympathize with anyone who gets it. It's horrible.

I will say one thing, I've had much healthier winters since I graduated from college.

As for my tvs, I have an old school decent sized one in the living room, and then last summer I bought a small (17 in? not entirely sure) flat screen for my bedroom at Walmart. I love the flat screen. It's nice because it takes up much less space on my already small dresser, and the picture quality is also good.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3203447;
    i never got the flu shot even though they're offered free where i work (a hospital) because the people i knew that got them always got the flu anyway. but now that i work in the nursing home area of the hospital, i've been getting it without any side effects, thankfully.
    The flu shot covers 3 types of the flu. As there are several more types out there, theorically you can still get one of the other types. However, the flu shot lowers your chances.

I get them every year and the years I've missed, I got the flu, so now I try not to miss.

And you cannot get the flu FROM the shot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I always try to get my flu shot the first part of October. I've heard they only last so long in the system, so holding off till October usually carries me through the winter.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3204071;
    I never used to get the flu shot either--but then I got the flu (the real thing, not just a bad cold) After the experience of being literally too weak to do more than walk to the bathroom for nearly a week, and then feeling like garbage for 2 more, I make sure to always get a flu shot as early as possible. I got this year's last week.

As for the tv. mine is still a regular, non-flat 27 inch one. I want to get a flat screen, but will be waiting a bit. I caught myself seiously thinking about one last week, but then my hot water heater died over the weekend. By the time they added and expansion tank to bring the old plumbing up to code, and dug a bunch of dirt out of my crawl space to get the new heater in (why it's under there is beyond me!) it was over $1000
    Between that and a big vet bill last week, I don't think the tv will be coming anytime soon. I rally only want one because with my screen being small anyway, if I watch a dvd with the black top and bottom, the picture is really small!
    Yep--me too! After having the flu twice {once in my 20s, again in my 30s} and being left so weak and sick, I never want to go thru that again and get the shot every fall.

+ Reply to Thread