+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7193Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't know what new is. We don't ever get anything new. But that's ok most times because it saves us a lot of money and also saves when we have to get anything repaired.
    I'm probably the only one left that doesn't have a flat screen tv. Our tv's were salvaged from hurricane damaged houses that my husband was helping demolish. We've had them 4 years and they still work well. No telling how old they were when we got them.

Sometimes having a Mr. Fixit is a good thing. Sometimes not so much. (especially when they never get around to fixing something)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

No, you're not the only one. My TV is either 19 or 20 years old. I thought that the vertical hold was going out (it would take the picture 10 minutes to stablize when I turned it on) but that fixed itself. I have it connected to a DTV converter box, and it still gives a pretty good picture.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

We don't have a flat-screen tv either. In fact, we have one tv in the basement that is from the 70s, but it still gets a good picture with rabbit ears. If it is on for a long time, the picture starts going wacky though. Basically it only gets used during a tornado warning. It is tuned to one of the local news stations, while we watch something else on the newer tv, or the kids play video games.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Tis the season, my friends! I found this and thought it was helpful and informative. How do I know if I have a cold or the flu?

How do I know if I have a cold or the flu?

Influenza (flu) and a cold are both respiratory (breathing) infections caused by viruses. Some of the symptoms are similar, and it can sometimes be difficult to tell if you have the flu or a very bad cold. The flu can cause more serious illness than a common cold. Your best protection against the flu is an annual flu shot.

You can decrease your chances of getting a cold by frequently washing your hands and avoiding touching your nose, eyes, and mouth. The average adults gets 1-3 respiratory (breathing) illnesses each year, and children get even more. However, it would be unusual to get flu more than once a year.

Sometimes you can get a bacterial infection of the middle ear or sinuses at the same time or following a cold or the flu. These bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics. The flu, however, can lead to more serious complications such as pneumonia and sometimes death. People who have the greatest risk of severe complications from flu are those 65 years old or older and those with certain medical conditions.

Colds usually begin slowly, 2-3 days after infection by the virus and normally last only 2-7 days. A bad cold can last up to 2 weeks, but this is unusual. You will first notice a scratchy, sore throat, followed by sneezing and a runny nose. You may get a mild cough several days later. Adults and older children usually don't have a fever, but if they do, it will be very mild. Infants and young children, however, sometimes run temperatures up to 102 F (39 C).

If you have the flu, you will have a sudden headache, dry cough, and you might have a runny nose and a sore throat. Your muscles will ache, you will be very tired, and you can have a fever up to 104 F (40 C). Most people feel better in a couple of days, but the tiredness and cough can last 2 weeks or longer.

The flu is a respiratory (breathing) illness. You cannot have a "stomach flu." Symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting are uncommon with the flu, except in very young children. Check with your health care provider if you have questions about the diagnosis and treatment of these illnesses.

The following chart compares the symptoms of the common cold and the symptoms of the flu.

SYMPTOMS COLD : FLU
    -Cold: Fever Rare in adults and older children, but can be as high as 102 F in infants and small children. Flu: Usually 102 F, but can go as high as 104 F and usually lasts 3-4 days.
    -Headache Cold: rare. Flu: sudden onset and can be severe.
    -Muscle aches Cold: mild. Flu: usual, and often severe.
    -Tiredness and weakness Cold: mild. Flu: can last 2 weeks or more.
    -Extreme exhaustion Cold: never. Flu: sudden onset and can be severe.
    -Runny nose Cold: often. Flu: sometimes.
    -Sneezing Cold: often. Flu: sometimes.
    -Sore throat Cold: often. Flu: sometimes.
    -Cough Cold: mild, hacking cough. Flu: usual, and can become severe.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I started taking the flu shot, along with my husband, when I had my first born. We are all vaccinated annually. I get so frustrated when people tell me that they get sick even with the flu shot. They can't make the difference between a common cold or the fever and the flu.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I started taking it, majorly, when I started tutoring those germy-A kids! As I always say....kid germs will KILL you, while they will be just, happily, playing around!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i never got the flu shot even though they're offered free where i work (a hospital) because the people i knew that got them always got the flu anyway. but now that i work in the nursing home area of the hospital, i've been getting it without any side effects, thankfully.

I've been getting one every year since cancer. I think they're a good thing and free! So why not?
    Count your blessings!

I get one every year because of chronic asthma. Sometimes I wonder if it does me much good because I work from home and don't get around too many people.
    but this year I have 3 major flights coming up (including a LONG awaited trip to down under) - and I would rather be safe.

I've never gotten a flu shot, and I've never gotten the flu. (Watch - this year will be the first!) My husband gets it every year. Sometimes he gets the flu and sometimes he doesn't. I can't figure it out.

+ Reply to Thread