+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4501Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    Marly that spot is 40 mins from my front door. It's just gorgeous here in the autumn, even 10 mins from my front door.
    If you want a good fishing/gaming Canadian experience you need to go to Manitoba, the fishing is so good there that you are not allowed to use live bait, you have to use preserved bait (minnows, worms, suckers and such) or lures. The wildlife is so plentiful that they don't even have a tag lottery like they do here in Ontario (in ON you have to buy your hunting license and your name is put into a lottery if you want moose or elk- your catch has to be 'tagged' to bring it out of the bush, if the Ministry of Natural Resources catches you with untagged catch you are charged with poaching, in Manitoba your regular hunting license entitles you to what ever prey you want- the hunting is so good there that my father in law has turned to bow hunting moose and elk just for the challenge *its not easy to kill an 1800lb moose with a bow and arrow!)
    Ontario and Alberta have breath-taking scenery and our national parks are just amazing. I've never been to either coast so I can't speak from experience. Shopping and night life you have to go to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.
    You're all welcome! Let me know when to expect you!
    Sounds like heaven, Duxxy! I'm going to show your post to Mr. Marleybone. He loves to fish, so I'm sure he will want to go up there.

How fun Marley and queenb! I will fly across country to the other coast (east) next month. I am starting to get anxious about packing and having all my ducks in a row here at home in time to go. Still have over a month to prepare.

We will be staying with our son and his wife in NYC (queens). They have lived there a year and we're fiiiinally getting out there. We will only be there for 6 days....don't know how that happened...poor planning. We're planning to get with one of those double decker coach tour companies and see the town!! I want to take a day off and run to DC while I'm so close. Our son wants to take his dad to Cooperstown... any ideas?
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

I'm not sure you'll have time for DC Vonna. There is so much to see there that you might want to plan a separate trip.

As for NYC, it depends what you like. I would recommend the Staten Island Ferry as opposed to the Statute of Liberty boat trip. I loved Ellis Island, but I was an American history major in college. Midtown including Rockefeller Center and Times Square is fun. So is Central Park. If you want a bit quirkier, go to Lower Manhattan where the streets aren't gridded out like they are everywhere else. You can wander around Houston Street and through Greenwich Village and do some great people watching.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Vonna - Mariner's right about DC. It's also a 4-5 hour drive from NYC. Cooperstown is quite a distance from NYC as well, also about 4 hours.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FinallyHere, I love your sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    I'm not sure you'll have time for DC Vonna. There is so much to see there that you might want to plan a separate trip.

As for NYC, it depends what you like. I would recommend the Staten Island Ferry as opposed to the Statute of Liberty boat trip. I loved Ellis Island, but I was an American history major in college. Midtown including Rockefeller Center and Times Square is fun. So is Central Park. If you want a bit quirkier, go to Lower Manhattan where the streets aren't gridded out like they are everywhere else. You can wander around Houston Street and through Greenwich Village and do some great people watching.
    Sounds good to me....Ok, I'll skip the DC trip...save it for some other time. Our son will be moving back to California in June, so Maybe take a trip in April or May.

The web says it between 60 and 70 degrees in late October...does that sound about right?
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Vonna, if you end up walking around time square, we might be able to see you here:http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/
    They have aerial views of TS.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Amy Lee Thanks!
    That site was so much fun, it can help me prepare for the crowds of people in that huge city....

The largest cities I've been to Seatle, San Francisco, Oakland, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles (downtown), Denver and Little Rock.....I don't think any of them will compare to NYC.....I know this small town gal is going to be in shock when I get there.

I was so happy to see most people were wearing T-shirts and jeans comfy clothes!!!
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post

Margaret Atwood is a self-important git with a depressing outlook on life

Blasphemy! (Not that there's anything wrong with self-important gits with a depressing outlook on life.)

Just kidding. Each to his own, each to his own.

Thanks for the tips and insights, everyone! Now I really need to go to Canada.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    The web says it between 60 and 70 degrees in late October...does that sound about right?
    That sounds about right for daytime high temps but plan for it to be significantly colder in the morning and evening. That is also 'on average' that time of year it can easily be a lot cooler if there's an early cold snap. And if you do take the Cooperstown trip it will be much colder there.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread