+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5904Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Woohoo! We just got power back. We've only had radio information for the last three days so I felt totally cut off from the world. And I am so, so proud of the city of Houston and all of these volunteers and even FEMA right now. It's amazing how well this hurricane went. I understand that Galveston is still really rough, but those people who stayed knew better.

And oh my God was it scary early Saturday morning. I could hear my walls moaning. We lost most of our fence and some of our neighbors lost trees. And it lasted more than a couple of hours. That was one big storm. The winds didn't die down to a reasonable speed until almost noon on Saturday.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

It's good to hear you guys are ok. Fences and trees can be replaced.
    Yup, with donuts!!

burntbrat - thanks for letting us know you're ok. Sounds scary. I hate even moderate wind storms. I have an old house and I'm so scared of damage.
    Count your blessings!

burntbrat - thanks for letting us know you're ok. I have you and people I know of that are down there, in my thoughts for days.

Things are screwed up here in Columbus. 60% of AEP's customers were without power as of 4:30 this afternoon. We got killed at the restaurant today. i just got home and i started work at 7 this morning. We did as much business today as we do on a Saturday with about half the staff. My butt is dragging.

The Columbus Dispatch : Wind storm leaves 1 million without power in Ohio
    Wind storm leaves 1 million without power in Ohio
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Hurricane-like winds left about 1 million households and businesses without electricity Monday as schools closed and rush-hour commuters faced obstacle courses of fallen trees and intersections without working traffic signals.

Sunday's wind storm caused by remnants of Hurricane Ike killed at least three people who were hit by toppled trees, authorities said. It could take a week for power to be restored in some areas.

Winds gusting up to 78 mph ripped roofs from buildings and blocked roadways across the state, with southwest and central Ohio bearing the brunt of the storm's force, according to the National Weather Service.

"What we experienced was a hurricane-force wind gust," said meteorologist Myron Padgett at the National Weather Service in Wilmington.

A falling tree killed two motorcyclists in Hueston Woods State Park in southwest Ohio, and a woman died in the Cincinnati suburb of Mt. Healthy when a tree fell through the roof of her home.

As of 8 a.m. Monday, 575,000 Duke Energy customers in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky still had no power, out of 867,000 who had lost service since the storm began to hit the region late Sunday morning. It was the biggest outage in the company's history, said Duke Energy spokeswoman Kathy Meinke.

American Electric Power said on its Web site Monday that about 539,000 of its Ohio customers, or 37 percent, were out, including 273,000 in Franklin County, which includes Columbus.

"This is an unprecedented event for this time of year," AEP spokesman Jeff Rennie said. "We've never seen anything like this in early fall."

Both Duke and AEP said it could take more than a week to restore power to some hard-hit areas. AEP is recalling crews that had been dispatched to southern states hit by the hurricane.

First of all, burntbrat, glad to hear you're okay! Unk, sounds like you had a lucrative but tiring evening.

So I'm a little late to the party but I'm torn on the report from Gut's doctor. I used to swim in college, and while I don't think my weight ever fluctuated too much, my body would fluctuate by a clothing size. So I could see how it wouldn't be as effective for losing weight, but I know there was some fat-to-muscle conversion happening there.

Some researchers believe that being surrounded by cold water for a period of time may increase the appetite, causing swimmers to eat more once they get out of the water.
    I could definitely see this. In my experience, swimmers definitely eat. I was often too lazy to go back for seconds, and that probably helped me slim back down. But post-practice, I was always ravenous, and if we'd been able to serve ourselves in the dining hall, I'm sure I would have taken it, but they controlled serving sizes, and I usually left satisfied, not stuffed.

Hey all . . Not sure if this will even go through as I am posting from my cell phone - but I'm giving it a try!

Glad to hear that you have power again burnbrat . . . I am in Galveston county and we are still in the dark.

It certainly was a wild ride - hurricane force winds hit is at about 11 pm Friday night and didn't let up until around 8 am Saturday morning. That was 9 hours of winds between 80 and 100 mph - except for the maybe 30 minutes we were in the eye of the storm.

We went back home Saturday afternoon and couldn't get into the neighborhood our normal way because our street was blocked by a huge tree . . . But we went in the back way, pulled up to our house, and both Mr. C and I started to cry. The devastation in our whole neighborhood is beyond words - huge trees down everywhere - the limbs and branches in our yard we're about 3 ft. deep. But we were so much more fortunate than a lot of our neighbors who have trees on their houses - our big old trees that look like they will fall over if you look at them the wrong way are still standing. We feared that we would be flooded by the bayou we are on, but we wern't. Although our yard took a hard hit, our house is ok - except for some water leaks on the ceiling which we are hoping are minor.

But we are not complaining - the most important thing is that everyone we love is safe, and we may all still be in the dark, but we have roofs over our heads. So, we may have to boil our water, and we may have spotty cell phone service at best - but all of that is ok because "stuff" can be replaced but people cannot and we are all alive and well! And the really exciting news is that we found a generator today at Lowes and we are sleeping tonight with a fan in our open window and my refrigerator is getting cold even as I type - it just doesn't get much better than that for right now!

So instead of focusing on all of the things that are hard right now - which we could very easily do - we are instead counting our blessings - because we know that we are blessed indeed!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm glad to hear that both burntbrant and cherlsey are okay after Ike. Most everyone I know who was still without power from Gustav came back on-line on Saturday/Sunday, so I'm sure those power line workers are on their way to Texas. I hope this is IT for this hurricane season, because I cannot take another 2 weeks of gas lines, grocery store closures, and power outages. And I doubt anyone in Texas will be able to either!

I'm just glad I'm on the list for roof and shed repair tomorrow. I was worried about Ike making it worse, but it just blew down some limbs that were still dangling from Gusta but, luckily, none of them hit anything of merit.

It's good to hear from all of you who were in the path of destruction. You've been in my, I'm sure everyone's, thoughts.
    CYA

I can't even imagine what it must be like to ride out a hurricane. I'm glad all of you made it okay. Like you said stuff can be replaced but people can't.

+ Reply to Thread